Reviews for One Round
LittleFireDragon chapter 1 . 2/6
Very nice little story.
Came here from TVtropes if you know what that is, and I must say this definitely deserves the recommendation it got. :)
GuesssWho chapter 1 . 5/24/2013
Yeah, having a card game where you call upon a very short-tempered evil dragon goddess every other time you win bigBAD IDEA
Officer Hot-Pants chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Did you just make this game up? Because you've got a very entertaining game on your hands, if so. I actually want to play it for real, and I think a lot of people- fellow DnD geeks or no- would love it, as well. I won't lie and say I really understood what was going on with Tiamat (aside from how calling out her name is obviously a bad idea), but it didn't detract from the story, which speaks well of your writing abilities.
Tarice the Styraurus chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
I've played, I've won, I've lost but NOTHING compares to a Chromatic Gambit with Tiamat. Personally, I'm all for those evil dragons with Black being my favorite. I don't understand how people can dislike something like a Great Wyrm Black Dragon trying to squeeze you for all the money you're worth. Anyways, love the ending. I had to read it twice to realize that her cohorts had spoken. Overall, I can relate with it, having someone win big in the first round...though that person lost rather quickly having spent all their luck in that first round just as Glenn did. [sigh] Well, at least Tiamat has more to horde! _ 5/5
Dyrian chapter 1 . 5/12/2008
Very interesting. Did you come up with this game, or was it posted in Dragon magazine or something?

I liked the ending, kinda saw it coming though. Although, having Tiamut speak in game mechanic terms was quite comical, but it did reinforce the One Round theme you had going.
Great Thumbs of Wisdom chapter 1 . 4/10/2007
So, in other words, the "curse" IS real.

Poor, poor Glenn. Ah, well. Probably for the best.

Good story, I didn't find any errors, though it was kind hard to understand at times. Luckily, I've played D&D before. Otherwise I never would have understood anything here. That's the only thing I've found hard about this little oneshot: only insiders can understand it, and only very seasoned insiders can can understand it well.
Icy Mike Molson chapter 1 . 10/14/2006
I'm not all that sure why I didn't review this when I read it last year.

Not a bad little short story, adn definitely a cool take on hte cards, epsecially since... well, you can't have a Texas Hold 'Em without Texas. I'd say something useful and meaningful, but I'm out of useful yet somehow condescending remarks for the moment. So good job.
Master Archon chapter 1 . 7/19/2006
Great way to get into the world of Dungeons and Dragons. The Detail was amazingly shown, whithout any boring context. This story also shows the hidden magic in the campaign, and tells how big and horrid Mistress Tiamat really is.
Poiniard chapter 1 . 3/13/2006
Liked it.
Lightman chapter 1 . 12/18/2005
I loved it. Very funny, and it got into the characters heads well
Lucy Wanabe chapter 1 . 11/30/2005
Excellent work! You definitely have the writer's touch.

I love the tense feeling you get near the end, because you anticipate what's going to happen to Glenn, and you get this nasty little thrill waiting for him to get his comuppance.

Good job!
Avalas chapter 1 . 10/21/2005
This is fantastic. I just love how you built the tension and the characters, and it didn't feel skimped in any way. I only wish I knew the rules of the game they were playing, hehe.
Fate8 chapter 1 . 10/21/2005
All around, an excellent little interlude. Methinks the author has played a hand or two of poker before.

You played the tension of the high stakes card game beautifully. I had no idea what game the three were playing, but anyone who has ever sat at a card table could identify with it.

Dialogue was top notch as well.