Reviews for Scorched Earth
Shade40 chapter 3 . 8/27/2013
I guess this ending is in between good and bad. Scar does not end up killing anyone, does not betray himself in a rant about alchemy being heresy, but he also does not betray his values or beliefs even when he might have been moved to mercy. He helped this woman by protecting her, but then destroys her hopes for a better future as blasphemy. He would believe that his action is an act of mercy even while it will cause her terrible pain. Out of all the possible outcomes, this is probably best but feels bittersweet nonetheless.

All in all, a short story a step above a one-shot, and incredibly written for the inside perspective into Scar's mind and the poetic descriptions. Very good job.
Shade40 chapter 2 . 8/27/2013
This chapter gives a lot of focus on Scar's immense self-control and need for caution at all times. In canon, Scar seems confident, controlled, secure in his power as he attacks State Alchemists in the night. He may flee from the military/police afterwards, but this seems mostly because fighting his way out of a confrontation will hinder his mission for Ishbala. From your perspective, we get to appreciate that Scar was probably far from secure, living with the continual fear that he will be discovered or killed, that his nerves were probably frayed and exhausted and yet he could not allow himself to give in to that exhaustion. It is easy to forget that Scar is called a "warrior monk" and his devotion, not always stated explicitly, is still much in evidence.

I did not expect anything interesting with Mabel. When Scar came across her crying, my first assumption was that her husband was a soldier who had been killed (the pain in her crying made it definitely seem like someone had died), but I wondered that the timeline shouldn't have any major conflicts occurring while Scar is hunting alchemists. Because you are presenting a realistic story without painting Scar in a good or bad light, I can place no guesses on what will happen in the next chapter, whether Scar will explode at this woman because of her damning ties to an alchemist or if he leaves without saying anything as a gift for being treated well by a stranger.
Shade40 chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
The level of description in this is amazing. You really don't need any plot, as that isn't the point of this story. The writing is also very heavy, not the light and fluffy stuff that is often used in fanfiction. By writing this way, despite not being from the first person perspective, I get a strong sense of seeing through Scar's eyes, for Scar is so serious and brooding that the writing style fits his character perfectly. His thoughts on the city, on its dirtiness and crowdedness, is interesting to read and lends great cultural insight. I have read other stories that describe the difference between people of the desert and city dwellers and it is nice to be reminded that the Ishvalan "barbarians" would find the Amestrian cities equally barbaric. It's sad to picture Scar sleeping in garbage-strewn alleyways, but this is also realistic and gives another level to how he has forsaken everything - not just his name - for the sake of revenge. I love the blend of animal and cultured thoughts.
WargishBoromirFan chapter 3 . 10/22/2010
The short version: awesome!

The slightly longer one: I love the atmosphere you've put into this piece, the scenery and memories and little touches that make it come alive. Scar is perfectly relatable, perfectly in-character, with just the little nuances to make the emotions and actions hit home without any overdramatics. You can't help but love the man here, even if you don't approve of all he does. This works well with canon, and is, as mentioned above, just awesome. :)
Ruingaraf chapter 3 . 8/17/2009
This. Was. Simply. Beautiful.

I've never seen anyone write Scar so well, with all his paranoia and obsessions. Even though this is animeverse, it still fits his manga character completely, which is even more amazing. He tries to be so merciless, but can't help getting attached to small things.

15/10. Seriously. 3
MazokuTenshi chapter 1 . 2/18/2009
Awesome. :D
Quazie89 chapter 3 . 12/19/2008
Good story. Scar was a great character. It was a shame he had to go...
PIIR-Pierrot chapter 3 . 10/22/2007
No, no no! Oh, what a beautifully written story! Mabel was excellently written, believable in every aspect. And I was angry, actually angry, when Scar destroyed the documents. Those were origionals! You write extremely well, and you manage to make simple things surreal. Great job.
Kay Major chapter 3 . 7/14/2007
I love Mabel's characterization and the way your story works a whole new, grey, side of Scar. Well written, I'm amazed at the way this story shows Scar's struggle to not see his enemys as humans.
Ryuutsu Seishin Hime no Argh chapter 3 . 3/6/2007
Intense and harrowing. I felt as though I were holding my breath throughout the last scene, thinking that he might kill Mabel. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of tension that pervaded this fic. It was an excellent character study as well. You don't shy away from the complexity of Scar and his motivations, and I appreciate the full-fleshed original character you've given us in Mabel. This is also going on my favorites.
Cortamone chapter 3 . 7/18/2006
I.

Love.

You.
WolfSpirt chapter 3 . 7/9/2006
i really liked it
0-inkwell-0 chapter 3 . 4/30/2006
The imagery and characterization here is excellent. Great story!
red chapter 3 . 3/1/2006
Wow. A punch in the gut, a swift kick to the head.

This is powerful, succinct and so believable it almost wounds. Thank you, thank you.
Al's-best-friend chapter 3 . 2/25/2006
I'm in love with this story!

It is so good!