Reviews for Attempts at Living
jfg207 chapter 18 . 4/15/2014
I love it. Will and Max too are finally coming together because of her frantic search for Zack?
I know your muse is gone but maybe just maybe you can find another... ;-)
MafiaPrincess09 chapter 11 . 11/18/2009
Lol I love how max was messing with sketchy's mind (but not really b.c babies are really like that) that was really funny.
lozzie84 chapter 17 . 9/6/2007
lol 'finally' done again! lol i have still enjoyed this fic! keep the updates coming, althought i may be slack on the reviews as i am going away for a while!
lozzie84 chapter 7 . 9/4/2007
lol it wasn't a bad 'finally' for out of the box! lol its just that i start reading so late in the evening that it takes ages to read it while you are mildly sleepy! so i'm stopping for now but will continue tomorrow or the next day! but i am still enjoting reading your work! lol the finally also applies to the many chapters which i love in a fic! i hate short ones, they never tie up all the details! lol i like details! so overall, its all good! lol i'm going now i promise!
Mari83 chapter 17 . 7/31/2007
It was so nice to read this first thing in the morning, so good to see them slowly settle down into having just the normal couple with kids-problems, with Max even having happy-family-dreams instead of Manticore nightmares.

"Just then Logan looked over the grill he was tending up by the cabin and glanced their way, he just smiled for a second, accepted her tender one in return and dropped his head back down to the food he was flipping on the grill."

So sweet:-)

"Pacifier"

Took me a moment to figure out what it is, then I laughed because thinking ‘pacifier’ was just your way of naming them… but they’re _really_ called like that. Fitting name, without a doubt.

"He wondered if the guy knew plenty of folks regarded the late Jonas Cale as a martyr, they could have really used those hover drones, they might have had a shot of getting control back of the city, like it had been when his kids were little."

Ah, I just love such details (and such original characters, he seems very real). I’ve never thought of this angle in the drone-story, but it certainly makes sense.

"Lot’s of moms did that, Victoria Trent tried to remind herself and took a calming breath, “Colic,” she explained."

The mix of over-concerned parent-attitude and Max'sirritation revealing menacing X5-qualities made me laugh, poor doc.

“You’re quitting to be a stay at home dad?” she asked with a cocked head. “The offer of daycare is still out there”

Still not completely comfortable with her role then – but she wouldn’t be Max (and even less the Max of this story) if she was, I guess.

Thanks again! (I do like the idea of a never ending story:-)
idlehands452 chapter 17 . 7/31/2007
great job. haven't seen much of you in the DA universe lately. wondered if you were coming back. well you know i'm eager for more embedded, but really i'd just love to see more of your DA fics. keep up the great work, update soon.
TigrouAngel chapter 16 . 2/20/2007
"He saw the smile tugging up her lips, he smiled in return and let his head drop against hers, being wise enough to not push it further."

She loves Will, doesn't she?

It's a fantastic story. Please, continue!
this-is-SPARTA chapter 16 . 1/20/2007
i was glad i found this after 'outside the box' and i must admit i thought Max had finally come round when she came back from the yoga session but obviously i was wrong. very well written i was up till 2 reading it and i hope there is more to it, very heart breaking but great
maxbyfive chapter 16 . 11/9/2006
very good sequel, good way of showing max adjusting to everything. i love the idea of will and logan wearing their matching che guevara shirts. so cute.
Babyangel86 chapter 16 . 10/11/2006
man... everyone's got issues...

loved the original cindy and kedra scene... really funny

excellnet stuff... max is getting there... slowly... but defnitely prgressing...

is it just me, or is syl jealous of max... was she in love with zach?

but its a good story... keep up the excellent excellent work...

and update E&O... :-)
Maria656 chapter 16 . 10/1/2006
very sweet-thanks for giving M a little light :-)
Mari83 chapter 16 . 9/27/2006
"And Mari, it’s cute when you’re gullible."

Thank you so much for teaching me a new word. And may I remind you that apparently I wasn’t the only person who fell for Zack being real. That’s called faith in the author not gullibility:-)

I really liked Syl and Krit’s conversation about Zack, Max and Manticore, interesting to see their issues with ‘normal’ life and another perspective on the long-term effects of rowing up in Manticore. All great topics that got the attention of my M/L-fixated mind!

Some favourite parts from that section:

“Because I feel guilty, I felt guilty every long day that followed. I felt guilty seeing Logan knocked out, I felt guilty the moment I saw his eyes open in confusion and the horror, do you remember how his head jerked, how all of him jerked before he just went still? Remember every forced smile from him, every sandwich left next to him untouched, how he just worked and didn’t sleep? How he couldn’t hear her name?”

So sad and so loganish…

“I’m envious of a sister who spent months locked up in Manticore. I’m envious of Tinga who got that life for years. I’m jealous of steady jobs, of kids, of pets you don’t have to leave behind, I’m jealous of parents,”

“I think I missed Lydecker Syl. That someone cared about my wellbeing and took care of me.”

“We broke out that night because of Max because Zack wasn’t about to let them hurt her.”

Reminds me of the cute picture of their younger version in “Broken Mirror”

Sweet M/L moment and must be a good sign if Max can allow herself to dream a bit about Will’s future.

Hm, I hope this qualifies as an entertaining review… it not, review Nr. 2 will be coming in a minute and hopefully be more entertaining
Mari83 chapter 1 . 9/10/2006
Me again (I can imagine rolling your eyes heavenwards): I forgot to be mistrusting but now that I think of it: Zack doesn’t happen to be an apparition or a dream or something like that?
Mari83 chapter 15 . 9/10/2006
Even though it would be appropriate I won’t write the sentence I wrote in all the other reviews for this story (you know, the one with ‘Max’ and ‘mother’ and ‘most realistic’) and just write the other thing that too was in every review: Excellent chapter – and even one with a totally, utterly unexpected twist.

„Like Margo. And like herself, she realized glumly.”

The idea of Max comparing herself with Margo seems absurd on first sight (read / look?) but it really fits her self-incriminating mood.

“No instead they got the fairytale Max didn’t. Got a little hope in their dreary world. Fairytales, the American dream, whatever you wanted to call it.”

Like the contrast between how people see them (what a _nice_ description of Logan, thanks) as a perfect little family and use them as an emotional boost for themselves and what really is going on (and between Max having the life she dreamed of and being unable to enjoy it).

(The next is ignorable, just need to get it out of my system: I have this Pawlow-dog-reaction to the term “American Dream” redirecting me directly my English teacher in grade 12 with whom I was at odds and with whom our topic for half a year was the American Dream in all its shades and varieties. Lots of redirections in this chapter;-p)

“Because no matter what else, she had Logan and that one fact would always bring her more joy than just about anything.”

Oh, fluffiness!

So sad to see her be a good, happy mother for Logan and Will.

“Hate to break it to you Logan,” she said not even looking up from the magazine, “nature has nothing to do with two out of the three people in this room.”

Wow, what a strong sentence! Don’t know what to make of Logan’s reaction though.

“So instead she simply continued to flip through pictures hoping against all hope that she’d start to believe the fairytale she saw within them.“

Great picture, Max with the camera in the dark room, like watching a movie.

(Took me awhile but I guess she is flipping through the photos in a digicam and not through paper-prints.)

“at six was jarred awake every fifteen minutes for a week as they were taught to avoid caving to that peculiar hellish torture and it hadn’t even stopped at a week… He’d only returned to them the day before from Psy-Ops.”

I love details like this.

What an interesting twist to bring in Zack.

Glad that Max finally can let go and it makes sense that it is when she finally sees her brother again, who knows what she has gone through and probably can understand her problems better than Logan, maybe even has some big brother-problem-solving qualities left.

It’s so nice to see Zack give up his tough-soldier-mode for a moment for his jokes and tenderness towards Will even though it’s so unlike the Zack we saw in the series.

Hm, this is going to be difficult for Logan, I guess, the real father turning up and maybe even questioning his father role.

In short: Please more as soon as possible:-)
Mistress Desdemona chapter 15 . 9/10/2006
Zack...wow.

Those are really the only words for that chapter.