Reviews for The Rules of Engagement
BaskervilleBeauty chapter 2 . 11/8/2005
Jerusalem blossoms; I shall have to remember that one. Quite a stroke of genius.

What I meant by the Brett comment was that there were a few "cracks in the marble,", as JB used to say. I didn't mean the mannerisms, per se, but more the free and accessible way Holmes related in the last chapter, quite unlike the often-supercilious Holmes of the books.

I would have been interested to see what Holmes brought everyone else. In fact, it would be a great tangential one-shot to see him shopping for their gifts.
Seimei chapter 2 . 11/7/2005
Bwahaha! Holmes is evil. I love it. He knows how to round up the little urchins and make them not only mind but make them HAPPY to mind! *grin* Clever and evil. Yes. Still cleverest.
prisoner24601 chapter 2 . 11/7/2005
Hallelujah, an up-date! A perfectly wonderful ending to a perfectly horrendous Monday! Brava!
Lady Razorsharp chapter 2 . 11/7/2005
Lovely stuff! _

I think there is quite a bit of boy still left in the man Holmes, so I am sure his creative convincing about the 'Jerusalem blossoms' was not a stretch in the least. Everyone is finally beginning to relax just a little, though first anythings are always dicey. I loved Mrs. Thurlow's reminiscence about Helen's criticism of Holmes' rooms. _

And I also loved the twins deciding between themselves that Mr. Holmes is the 'smartest person ever'-I do have a wee technical quibble about switching to their perspective all of a sudden but now that I think on it I think you're writing in an 'omniscient' POV...however (and perhaps because this has become somewhat of a catch phrase in this day and age) I did puzzle at the phrase 'portion size.' Take that as you will.

Helen was right to let them know it was okay to still like William. Very wise of her to do so, and they're smart boys. Makes me wonder if they already liked Mr. Holmes and felt conflicted, and so initially treated Holmes coolly out of confusion. Watching them with Holmes makes me endlessly curious about his own childhood...

You both are walking a fine line, and so far it's working. Keep it up!
Susana chapter 2 . 11/7/2005
For my also I arrive Noel Pope on Monday...

with another cap to read and respect to

Helen, if she can await... I also, i believe.
Lowell chapter 1 . 11/7/2005
Welcome Back! Wow, "Rules" is looking to be even better than "Courtship". I think you're doing a wonderful job of keeping Holmes in character. Furthermore, I think it shows your intelligence and sophistication in rendering your characters falliable. Their humanity shines in Chapter 1. Chapter 2 was lovely, of course - I especially enjoyed Holmes' dinner logic, very clever and amusing.

One thing that I have noticed is that you are developing a habit of remarking on Holmes' youth. Being egocentric, I of course noticed this. Telling little comments as to Mycroft, Christmases past, Christmases in France, resilience of children, and I seem to recall that "Courtship" made some mention of love and/or a woman... Ladies, you are weaving a mystery, and I must confess myself horribly stimulated by it. What do you have in store as far as Holmes' past is concerned? So far, whether intentional or not, your "clues" fit nicely in with my own plotline, but I'd much rather hear your take on it! The two of you have such incredible imaginations that I'm sure it would be a wonderful yarn.

Monday updates are lovely.

Just a bit of speculation before I end this off: That silver cigarette case seems familiar - might we have seen it at the Falls of Reichenbach? Lovely little way of incorporating your story into canon, applause, applause.
gaudy night chapter 1 . 11/5/2005
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the first chapter of The Rules of Engagement, and you two haven't disappointed me. I look forward to reading a new, lengthy chapter each week.

This first hurdle in Helen and Holmes' new relationship was expected, but I like the way that you two handled it (thank God, the whole matter was resolved in one chapter-I don't think I could stand it). Though it seems to me that Helen almost too nice to a fault. Maybe she should make Holmes do a little bit more groveling and not let him off the hook quite so easily next time around... Having Lady Margaret and Watson as counsellors is a nice touch.

I'm glad Holmes is giving this relationship a chance. Good for Holmes, running straight to Watson at the end of the evening for advice and guidance.

I'm of the opinion that Helen's getting the raw end of the deal. Is she the type who will be satisfied with such a relationship? We know he's not ashamed of her or being with her, but much of the subterfuge and clandestine or "coincidental" meetings is she going to be content with?

I wish Holmes would learn (more quickly) to be more forthcoming with his compliments and be comfortable other displays of affection (hint, hint).

Thanks for the great stories. Can't wait for chapter 2 and the artwork that goes with this story.
Anna McNarin chapter 1 . 11/5/2005
I laughed, I smiled, I enjoyed this as much as the previous ones. Bravo dear ladies, bravo. (gives bunnies a basket of carrots)

-Anna
Martianlightsaber chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
Amazing, you actually kept him in character, something few other authors have managed when it comes to the whole romance thing in this fandom. Must be the great build-up from your previous fics. Can't wait for the rest of this!
happiness theory chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
hee hee.. cute! :3
latergator chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
How delighted I am to see that you are continuing this. I had quite missed the fine and engaging writing and feared an end to the trials and triumphs of dear Helen and Sherlock.
Susana chapter 1 . 10/31/2005
They cheered the new week to me, like always. The new history with the same enjoy of always. The same talent and brightness. Congratulations.
Holly chapter 1 . 10/30/2005
I just wanted to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading "Courtship" and am really looking forward to this one as well. I enjoy your writing style and your ability to keep a story from stalling in its plotline. Keep up the good work!
Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 10/30/2005
It's all just so much candy. _ How you two manage to keep Holmes as himself through all of this, and yet give us a lovely look at what he would be in his first forays into (dare I say it) love, I'll never know. And he's so Brett that it takes my breath away.

Bravo!
ExecutiveHPFan chapter 1 . 10/30/2005
*jumps up and down* Yes, I've been waiting for this!

I can't tell you enough how real your stories seem. I could feel the tension on the date and I grinned all the way through the reconciliation at the end of the chapter. *pats Holmes* It's so adorable, how he's naive (for once).

I will name my firstborn after you if you update quickly!
275 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 Next »