Reviews for The Rules of Engagement
Abby chapter 15 . 1/19/2007
Brilliant! Absolutly brilliant!
KristinainSF chapter 15 . 1/8/2007
I ...I hate you all for making me love this story line so much, it has been brilliant and the best H/F I've ever read - including the vastly over-hyped Mary Russell series.

Am extra-ordinarily disturbed by the last chapter. Would hate to have it be THAT predictable, what with the Great Hiatus upon us.

Peace, Love and chocolate.

PS Try not to leave us for Doctor Who for too too long. :-)
Susicar chapter 15 . 12/29/2006
You make me crazy with the hints in the chat between Helen and her friend... ("you hiding something! Indeed, Maggie, indeed) ah, now i understand... you referring to this when you spoke over "deleted scenes"? I hope so. The chats with Holmes, Watson, and Helen showed that you are in the best form like writers, my friends. Congratulations. Ah, the final scene why, my God, why?
Susana chapter 1 . 12/23/2006
"just one chapter to go!" oh, how i hate this statement! but no matter, thank you very much for update. This chapter is a gift of Christmas for me.

PS: cliffhanger... again the devil one...
Prego chapter 15 . 12/23/2006
What a dreadful end to a chapter! Nonetheless, it was an excellent one, as are the others. I am thouroughly enjoying this story!

However, I do hope we get to witness Helen and Holmes' wedding!
Rinoa chapter 15 . 12/23/2006
Oh... such a fantastic update! That conversation Holmes had with Watson is just brilliant! Though, it makes me wonder if it was actually hinting something to the plot. Really, I do hope you'll both update soon. I'd love to see what happens next.
icebluehost chapter 14 . 12/20/2006
This story is absolutely great! I can't wait to find out how it ends. I hope it's a happy ending (i'm a sucker for those type of endings *grins*) Anyways, happy holidays and don't forget to update soon!
123jkl chapter 14 . 12/18/2006
PLEASE UPDATE!

I'm loving it.
austenfan1990 chapter 14 . 12/16/2006
Absolutely fantastic...I love the writing, it is simply, in want of a better word, utter perfection. 'Pandora's Box' (chapter 12) blew me away and despite my earlier skepticism about Holmes abandoning his post as 'confirmed bachelor' in general public domain to become a fully-fledged suitor, I am very glad that you both proved me shamefully wrong. I can't wait for the next chapter...I think that an update will be in order, don't you?
Susicar chapter 14 . 12/11/2006
What a nice habit i has forgotten lately! To read and send reviews of your chapters... *triple sigh* But now, you come back, and i see you don't have lost your finest talent in the

great "hiatus". This piece is as interesting as the previous, altough here the shadow of the inminent outcome is almost visible. How i wished you prolonged the nigth and

see how Holmes managed to support the disturbing "boredon"!
Ohana chapter 14 . 12/10/2006
All together now...1, 2, 3..

AW!

Yet another great chapter. Geez - never doing anything wrong. What's the matter with you? XD.

Looking foward to the next chappie as always.
Susicar chapter 14 . 12/7/2006
You has updated, oh my... God Exist Aleluia.
Lady Razorsharp chapter 14 . 12/7/2006
Yay! _ You're back!

Despite how painfully it ended, Holmes and Watson's conversation was very smooth. I've missed seeing them talk together.

And here we go again, society and all its machinations...*rolls eyes*

Oh, Holmes is daring so much-they both are. He's making his own words come true, about dalliances and such to break the monotony of the life of the gentry...that's his Bohemian self, but oh heavens, what a risk! Nevertheless, I loved that: "Might I come to you?" The layers of meaning in those five words...said in such a way that is composed yet with the promise of much more behind them, that sort of intensity under tight rein. Ah, beautiful.

Hope to see more soon! _
J. A. Lowell chapter 9 . 11/22/2006
Alrighty, I owe you some more reviews (*crosses fingers and hopes that the promise of reviews will lead to a conclusion for this tale*).

Nitpicky stuff straight off the top: shouldn't "kerb" be "curb"?

I must admit that I love the sparse, staccato way in which Holmes adresses Mrs Hudson at the onset of this chapter. It really does make a person feel for the long-suffering landlady. And the clothing-blindness! Too funny, especially that she can anticipate his queries. You've really developed Mrs Hudson well in this chapter, and the humour of Holmes' continued inability to show up on time is most welcome.

Clever, how you incorporated a mention of Silver Blaze into the Grufstreds' converstation - it helps in defining the timeline.

Oh, I wish that you were writing a tighter narrative, so that I could read some foreshadowing into Holmes' response "A simple case of murder borne from thwarted passion." That's a very poetic turn of expression, and I can't express how deeply it pains me that it likely isn't more than superficial dialogue.

More nitpicking - this sentence distresses me, on account of there being far too many commas (never thought you'd hear _me_ say that, eh?): "Another couple stood, perusing the painting, softly lit, somewhat unusually, by electric light before they moved on." I know what you're trying to say here, but try reading it aloud, and I'm positive you'll see the problem! Is the couple softly lit by the unusual electric light? Somehow I doubt this was your intent.

I like your description of Martell's, but again, I'm forced to be nitpicky. "[...] the just a little too evident amound of scarlet in the environs [...]" isn't quite gramatically correct. It might be better to write it as "the colour scarlet was just a little too evident in the environs."

Another thing: "[...]she found her eyes, bright with curiosity, drifting over the decor [...]" Right. I won't comment upon literal vs figurative, b/c I know very well what you mean, but I will make a comment on knowing your reference character. This paragraph was written from Helen's perspective, albeit in the third person. This means that Helen should not be able to tell whether or not her eyes are bright with curiosity - it is an observation that the reference character cannot make unless they are faced with a mirror.

I'll be nice now, and say that I love the image of Holmes' index caressing the wine glass. Squee! You've also a true talent for making dessert seem smutty; much fun. Of course, I can't close this without tipping my hat at your wickedly funny dialogue throughout this piece. For every little error I've pointed out, I've found at least three instances in which I have to shake my head in wonder at the deft way you write your characters.

I am sorry for being nitpicky - I know it's hardly the sort of thing you want. Blame it on the pistachios - the dish I'm working on as I'm writing this contains far too many uncracked ones to leave me in a good humour. Just tell me to stop, and I shall.
Just me chapter 13 . 10/18/2006