Reviews for Cold Shower
grindly chapter 1 . 11/29/2014
This fic is amazing. I gasped. There's something about the way you write that is so completely mesmerizing and original. Both of the stories really shocked me in different but good ways. The cruelty of the children in the first dream was utterly heartbreaking, and I felt so sad to see that he had internalized those words. The second dream/memory was a perfect continuation of the first. It was chilling to see how Jonathan terrified his patient by pretending that she was invisible. It was very subtle and cruel and it made me realize what a vulnerable position the patients were in, and how easily someone like Crane would be able to get away with it. The power shift that happened when the door failed was incredibly done. I like how you mentioned that Jonathan was more willing to put up with the abuse than risk losing the power he had over her. It's sad how he always seems to be involved in this struggle for power, but he usually ends up being ridiculed. And There's something so creepy about adding this element of a patient preying on Jonathan sexually and taunting the fact that he hadn't ever been with anyone that made it perfectly disturbing. Excellent, excellent stuff.
ZenyZootSuit chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
Great job!
Jonathan Scarecrow chapter 1 . 8/12/2012
Cillian Murphy! 3 :D
Yami Vizzini chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
That was... intense. Not much else I can say.
mercuryxx chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
Lovely :)

Poor johnny boy. Kids can be cruel :/

Anyyways, lovely writing.
CHMW chapter 1 . 5/2/2009
I love this story, the way you write about Crane and his sexual frustrations. It's nice to see a story that isn't just some Mary Sue stuff you see over and over again. Kudos!
Toccata chapter 1 . 4/11/2009
Nice fic! Good tone, great voice and body language. I think you really captured Crane here by not tumbling too far into either the "poor baby suffered so much" or "sadistic psychopath" category. You had just the right sampling of both. Also liked the beginning very much because it presented dear Jonny as a (more or less) regular human being who chews his pen and takes a minute or two to become coherent in the morning. The school scene struck me as a little off kilter at first. While you did present a pretty clear picture of Susannah physically, her personality came off as kind of murky-she's loud, brash, and a gum chewer, which suggests confidence and worldliness. Then she's crestfallen and confused when the class starts mocking Crane, who hasn't said a word to her besides "E-Excuse me?” I'm not sure why she invests herself so much. Her naiveté feels somewhat out of place and unusual, particularly with the sarcasm in her cooties comment and the first description. Liked that you broke the bully stereotype with Stevie, but his and the class's antagonism seemed a little random off the bat. It's so formal-about rules and being mean just for the sake of it. Later, the taunting becomes more realistic. The other students are warning off Susannah because Crane's "dirty" and socially inept. They're making fun of him because it amuses them. He's not a random target anymore, he's the nerdy boy who dresses badly and can't get a girlfriend. The weird kid in class. This is the sort of nastiness that happens in reality, where it's not so much that everybody else is evil and lives to torture the outcast but where one person just can't connect and gets mocked because of that. Anyway, would have liked to see a little more dialogue from Jonathan, but from “Crane had practiced his superior, uninterested tone,” on, it’s perfect. Colleen Baker scene felt totally in character and believable, with just the right blend in physicality and awkward repression. Plus the nasty “you’re turning invisible” ploy. Brilliant.

You wondered why fans give Scarecrow so many romantic problems in fiction. I think part of it is borne of his comic back-story, and part of it from his movie persona. Think about it: we’re presented with a seemingly successful, single, good-looking man obsessed with the study of fear. He comes off as chilly, academic, and uninterested in other people on a personal level. Why, the viewer might speculate, is he like this? What happened to Crane that he would allow himself to become so cut off? Why doesn’t he have a partner, and why doesn’t he seem to want one? The Joker noticed that Rachel Dawes was beautiful, and Harvey Dent wanted to marry her. When has Jonathan noticed anybody like that? He’s clearly got mental/emotional abnormalities, and connecting the dots seems to indicate a common source.

But on to the important question: what does Dr. Crane sleep in? I think a plain, comfortable pajama set in gray, green, blue…dusty colors. He doesn’t strike me as the sort to allow enough informality for the bottoms/t-shirt combo or shirtless/boxers. Though it would be very cute.
termsinator chapter 1 . 9/9/2008
I found this story amazing.

Well written, good plot. It seemed like one of the short stories out of 'The further adventures of the Joker' or what not.

I giggled.
highland girl 1592 chapter 1 . 7/23/2007
I think that he wears only blue boxers to bed. ;) Really loved the story by the more thing,would Jonathan Crane really be that messed up? Sexually I mean. Considering that he's a psychiatrist I think that he would be intelligent and introspective enough to know his own problem and that he would do something about it. As for why we Love Jonathan Crane that is easily explained,One:In Batman Begins, we saw a man who was in complete control of himself and who was also if there is one thing women love it is a challange! We like to think that we could get past his barriers to the man we know is : We women love bad boys,always have and always will.
CanYouLoveTheImaginary chapter 1 . 3/31/2006
That was great, i loved it, neat writing style
drowsyfantasy chapter 1 . 1/15/2006
Hmm. Very interesting.

I like the way you approached his past - and the way he would react to those kind of things.
dear toothy chapter 1 . 11/13/2005
Blodeuedd chapter 1 . 11/11/2005
I've been acknowledged! (runs around in happy circles) What larks! Anyways. Loved this. Just loved it. It is definitely going on my favorites. I can't believe I didn't see it before. From beginning to end, just glorious. You had the daring to face an issue the rest of us shy away from - Crane's sexuality or lack thereof - and what's more, you made it a focal point. That in and of itself shows both skill and polished maturity. The fact that it is well-written and engrossing is a plus.

As for your pajama question: hm. Pink bunny slippers, flannel pj bottoms with teddy bears on them, and a matching button-up nightshirt. (nods) Yes. Most decidedly so.
James Tristan chapter 1 . 11/3/2005
Without doubt the best, most intreguing and well-written Crane-centric fanfic I have read. I can't even begin to describe to you the all types of happy I am right now. You've made my night with your talent.

Personally, I feel your exploration of his sexual/romantic hang-ups fit well with little we know of movie!Crane and the Crane from the comics. I'd be interested to know if you've ever read the Scarecrow: Year 1 comics. There's 2 of them, and they go into his past. Batman Begins was based heavily on the Batman Year 1 comics, so personally I attribute his background from that to movie Crane. From that I've read, no, writers who explore Crane's psyche aren't reading too deeply; if he is based on Year 1 Jonathan Crane, then from what he suffered he'd be very screwed up. If you haven't read the comics, and are interested in doing so, please just e-mail me and I'll sort out a download for you.

Anyways. A wonderful, brilliant fic that made my stomach twist in that sicky/sympathy-pain way, with the treatment Crane got at school. I felt so much empathy for the character and your descriptions were so vivid I literally saw the fic happenning as I was reading it. And the scene where he's being assulted by Colleen was facinating, with a horribly uncomfortable tone laced with the sexual undercurrent. Gahh, just praise to you! Oh, and convincing a mentally ill woman she's turning invisible twisted. Truly twisted. I guess that's what you set out to achieve, to show how dark Crane really is.

I see Crane wearing light grey pajama bottoms in bed, and a pajama top if the poor dear gets cold.

I'll shut up now, I'm blathering.

Great fic, great author. I'm done.