Reviews for With Sword And Head Held High
wtclayton chapter 1 . 2/25
Wonderful story!
NefariousPlots chapter 11 . 11/18/2014
Outstanding :) Intriguing from start to finish.
PhiGirl chapter 11 . 9/12/2013
Poor Voldy, never had a chance
This story is great. I really liked the interaction between Methos and Snape (all right, they are my favourite HL and HP characters, so no surprise there). And that the price McGonagall had to pay was permanent.
Voldy's pink teddy chapter 11 . 3/1/2013
Aw, I loved this story. The ending was wonderful.

I was in the strange position of resenting the witches and wizards in this story, even the ones I like, for constantly referring to immortals as demons. It is such a jarring change of perspectives, both from what I was used to while watching Highlander (if I remember correctly, only the hunters thought of immortals as evil abominations), and what I'm used to when I read other fics in which mortals discover immortals. Granted, the mortals that discover immortals in other stories are usually scientists who are inclined to look for natural causes for immortality rather than mystical ones, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be as inclined to label immortals as demons. Wizards, on the other hand, are in many ways stuck in a medieval mindset due to their lack of need for scientific and technological progress. It makes sense that their first assumption would be 'demon' rather than 'genetic mutation'. Anyway, I find it a little disappointing that Harry and Hermione, at least, didn't realize that just because something isn't human, doesn't mean it's evil. Witnessing someone come back to life might lend credence to the demon claim, but still.

Speaking of being ambiguously evil, though, I liked your take on Methos, especially Snape's observation that he was intentionally being confusing. I can't remember the exact words you used now, but I definitely agree with you; the fact that he intentionally projects conflicting portrayals of himself is one of the only clues about his true personality. Given his long life, those personas could truly be part of him (sides of himself that he's developed in order to adapt to the different societies in which he's lived), but they could also simply be lies to cover up his true personality, or a little of both. I like that Snape could tell that Methos wasn't really afraid when he was threatening him. If anyone could see through some of Methos' theatrics, it's him. I noticed, when I watched some of the Highlander episodes again on youtube, that he was a lot less afraid than he at first seemed to be, in some situations. For example, after Duncan attacked him while under the influence of a dark quickening, Methos' reaction, "I'm getting too old for this", was said in a tone that was a lot closer to 'that was really inconvenient' than 'I was afraid I might die'.

Anyway, your characterization of both the Harry Potter characters and the Highlander characters was wonderful, and I love that Harry now gets to lead a life completely independent from the prophecy. I can't remember when the sixth book came out, but it seems like you wrote this story before we knew about Horcruxes, or simply chose to ignore the idea, as it wouldn't fit with the story. In any case, I enjoyed the way you brought about Voldemort's end either way. I can completely see him sacrificing his followers that way, and it was poetic justice that his downfall was made much easier due to that lack of loyalty.
Kallizakat chapter 11 . 9/4/2011
Awesome story. I love what you did with bringing the characters into the situations together, and rather like that you didn't ultimately make them friends. I also loved the side effects of the Imperious Curse on Immortals, as well as your giving the Cruciatus a healing aspect. Brilliant elements all, and fantastic characterizations-particularly of Methos and Connor, I think. I'd love to read more Highlander crossovers of yours if you ever end up writing them.
juli 8D1819 chapter 11 . 3/6/2011
amazing story! truly amazing

and one of the most unthinkable x-overs

beautifuly ended
Rivana chapter 11 . 1/22/2011
Great story. Interesting plot. :-)
Zuzanny chapter 11 . 12/23/2010
I really enjoyed this fic.
wild wolf free17 chapter 11 . 12/5/2010
This is utterly fascinating. I really enjoyed it.
Triskelion chapter 1 . 8/31/2010
Wow! Harry Potter is not a fandom I would have expected to cross well with Highlander ... but you have more than pulled it off! This was an excellent read. The magical community's reaction to Immortals (demons) was especially interesting: they are not used to encountering things they cannot explain, are they? Wizards are so used to knowing all the secrets of the universe (and looking down on "Muggles") that it must be hard for them to face their own ignorance ...

Anyway! I thought the McGonagal/MacLeod feud was grand; it was nice to see Connor rather than Duncan (and more in character for Connor, too); I liked Snape's characterization and McGonagal's too. And I thought you were spot-on with Methos - the ultra-knowledgeable chameleon, always trying to avoid an unnecessary fight. And scary as death when he can't avoid it.

This had me on the edge of my seat. Fantastic tale!
eac chapter 3 . 7/10/2010
really wish you hadn't made methos out to be such a coward. and conner isn't nearly as much of a barbarian as he seems to have become in this fic.

by the by, methos could take on MacLeod and probably win, even if he didn't cheat. there is a very good reason why he is the oldest and known as death on a pale horse. he's bound to have developed/absorbed a whole host of different abilities.
drdeth2000 chapter 11 . 8/29/2009
Great story, i hope that you will do a sequel at some point.
mountainelements chapter 11 . 8/18/2009
This was a good story. Methos is one of my favorite characters, and I like your interpretation of the prophecy. The Clan Oath against an Immortal is something I've never read before either.
darklordmike chapter 11 . 8/16/2009
Holy Crap. This was an absolutely phenomenal story. First-rate storytelling from the first word to the last. My compliments on producing one of the best works in fanfiction. Well done.
Blueberry Babe chapter 11 . 5/27/2009
very good story.. had to try to remember the highlander stories and movies i've seen to remember the people lol but very good thanks..