Reviews for The Last Contract
elen chapter 16 . 12/24/2011
shes so fucking weak its ruining my mood
MobMotherScitah chapter 18 . 11/20/2010
Wow. Fantastically done. Brava.
angrw chapter 18 . 7/7/2008
What an uplifting ending, I loved every word. Great idea to have Vincent give Sarah the cartridge from the bullet he intended for her as his contract, his number tucked inside, as a symbol of his promise. It felt so right to have them both freed by their experience together. Thank you for this story, Nic, it truly touched me.
angrw chapter 17 . 7/7/2008
That was a very realistic explanation of why Vincent would turn to a life of violence. Especially when he became "fascinated by his new power" as took his father's life slowly.

Don't we all wish we had someone in our lives as supportive as Sarah? "She didn’t stop, she didn’t get tired, and she didn’t want to talk about herself." She would have made a good mother.

Another beautifully crafted chapter, thank you!
angrw chapter 16 . 7/7/2008
This line sums up the mind-set of both characters in this chapter:

"'I save you from an asshole that put a contract on you, and all you do is whine? What the fuck’s the matter with you?' he snarled."

Vincent sees killing off the contractor as a precious gift, but Sarah cannot justify killing any person, for any reason. Beautiful juxtaposition.
angrw chapter 15 . 7/7/2008
You've captured Vincent's damaged mind so well here:

"He couldn’t help wondering where he would’ve been now if she hadn’t dodged. That wasn’t a difficult question. He’d be - probably this very evening - meeting with his next set of hits…

Well, I’m not, and this is much more fun!

The adrenaline surged through his body, his senses heightened.

He felt alive.

Expanding his lungs with a deep breath and letting it out again, he cleared his mind and focused on his task.

This was what he did the best."

He's still out to kill, but he finds vigilante killing in Sarah's defense much more satisfying. Very insightful, recognizing that veering from his structured, scheduled life would be a previously unexperienced thrill.

Great chapter!
angrw chapter 14 . 7/7/2008
I felt as betrayed as Sarah when she woke to find herself tethered to the couch. Just when he seemed to be developing empathy, Vincent reveals just how deeply his career has affected him. Thanks for keeping him in character!
angrw chapter 13 . 7/7/2008
Every single aspect of this chapter touches me. I can't even pick a single sentence to elaborate on, it's all so raw. I hate to cry, so I'm moving on...
angrw chapter 12 . 7/7/2008
This chapter shows subtly how Vincent is completely unable to care about others in a "normal" way.

"Vincent noticed that Sarah wasn’t really there. He was in a fairly good mood, though, and didn’t pay it that much attention to begin with."

He shows complete disregard for Sarah's feelings, yet he then pats himself on the back for being "selfless" by sparing her life. His heart is so screwed up! And then he can't remember threatening Sarah's boss's life, as if it was as insignificant as commenting on the weather. Nic, you have a true gift with expressing conflicting emotions.
angrw chapter 11 . 7/7/2008
I love how you have Vincent fixing up Sarah's appearance, encouraging her to appreciate herself. As if he can't turn that spotlight on himself, so instead he must improve the life of the one person that reminds him of his long-gone humanity. Painfully touching and sad, all at once.
angrw chapter 10 . 7/7/2008
"He’d just given her the most generous gift he’d ever offered to anyone in his entire life." What a brilliant/twisted way to show that he has no respect for human life! Yet, between the lines...

I found this to be especially poignant:

"Fresh blood can be a good thing; it means the wound is cleaner.

The downside is that it’s painful."

How poetic and truthful.

Beautiful writing, as always.
angrw chapter 9 . 7/7/2008
After thinking like a detached machine for so long, you'd think the emotional part of Vincent's brain would have atrophied to the point of no return. You've given Vincent the hint of a soul, something that would seem impossible, but you make it work. He's torn between his duty to his job and doing the right thing. This is what you do best!

And I'm glad I read this story after you completed it, this cliffhanger would have been brutal!
angrw chapter 8 . 7/2/2008
Admitting to being HIV-positive is frightening enough (fearing that everyone you care about will be disgusted by you and abandon you), but to also have to worry what an assassin will do to you when you reveal this secret? I cried for Sarah, you articulate her pain all too well. Which is a compliment to your skill as a writer, by the way...
angrw chapter 7 . 7/2/2008
Vincent is as much of a philosophical enigma here as he is in the movie. He sneers at Sarah's pride in her "new life," yet he doesn't see the similarity to his own meaningless existence. Great job keeping him in character yet fleshing out the emotions that must hide under his stoicism.
angrw chapter 6 . 7/2/2008
What a long and painful past Sarah has! Like a chain reaction, her life just withered away. No wonder she doesn't want to share her memories and has the nerve to fight back against Vincent. You've shown so accurately that shame can make a person waver between wanting to live and choosing to die rather than voice their pain.