Reviews for Blazing Waves, Burning Rain
ghikiJ chapter 31 . 12/17/2017
Yes! The Flame Champion has been determined! The little nuances you had set up were very nice touches too. The Vessel resembling a certain bishop, all of it. Now it is truly feeling like a Suikoden story. Up until this arc, most of the fighting and running were about the small acts, the tiny stepping stones, now things are starting to come together. (I enjoyed the VdZ arc though, the lil manipulations and planning). To see Caesar up to what he does best was also so much fun and increases the hype. I hope to see a tactical battle in this story somehow in the future, something big picture with commanders and units. Definitely hard to pull off to be sure but given your prowess, if it happens, it'll be a treat.

It's a big piece of cheese but I must say that the thoughts that helped Hugo overcome his trials was touching. The accumulation of the events and feelings shared with Chris certainly gets the reader to realize just how much they have gone through so far and how much is still up ahead. I have no doubt that Chris will eventually have her own trial in this manner; perhaps even doubly difficult due to the circumstances surrounding the last True Rune in the grasslands. I can't wait to get there.

I will also prepare myself because I know I will cry when/if a certain little girl dies. I did when I played. I have a soft soft spot for young willing matyrs.
sadistic lunatic chapter 31 . 12/16/2017
Amazing payoff. That moment when Hugo saw Chris in the fire and all the way until when he burned the corpses, the Suikoden III opening song was playing in my head. Lordy, I wish this fic was how Suikoden III played out!

The two just need a few more pushes before they seal the sweet deal. Hugo acknowledges that he loves her, and Chris has acknowledged her feelings since several chapters prior.

Awesome chapter! Happy holidays to you, good author!
True Radical Dreamer chapter 31 . 12/16/2017
Always great to see an update from the best Suikoden fic on the internet. And it's pretty quick, too!
ghikiJ chapter 30 . 12/15/2017
Ah finally the True Fire Rune. I admit I like this version of the altar face off. Very little sentimentalities for the previous Flame Champion and all the raw power of the True Rune. In the game, there was an odd lack of this aside from Luc's pov so I like hoe you incorporated it in the story. After all, the True Runes are essentially the gods of this universe and unfathomable contents and questionable intents. Often they are but magic sources but certainly they should have a personality of their own.

Man, I do have a love and hate relationship with cliff hangers. I can't wait for the next chapter though I would understand if this is the last one for the year. This story has definitely become quite the epic!
ghikiJ chapter 25 . 12/15/2017
So much emotion in this chapter. The duel was superb. I drank every word! I was hoping that Chris would show true steel and honor Grassland traditions in her quest to unite peoples but of course, her chivalry and merciful nature still won out. Not that I disliked that but I still wondered what if yeah? I guess it is much too soon, if ever, would the Grasslanders even remotely accept her.

That scene with Luce tho... good lord. Actually got me teary.
ghikiJ chapter 24 . 12/15/2017
I loves this chapter so much. After the long struggled on the Forbidden Land, we finally get a break to take everything in and to appreciate the growing bond between the protagonist. The campfire scene was a long awaited heart to heart conversation between Hugo and Chris and despite its casual banter at the end, one can truly feel that they are finally truly starting to build that trust between each other. Hugo's tale was touching as it was heart-wrenching. Indeed, sometimes we are our worst critics and our darkest phantoms. It doesn't help that Chris' sense of responsibility will never really allow her to simply forgive and forget.

The council talk was also very much anticipated. After all, war room conversation is part of the Suikoden culture and what appealed the games to me. The battle of wills and beliefs and the wisdom to set those aside in order to work together to achieve the greater good.

I do hope that major battle sequences wouldn't be like the Forbidden Land again though. The insertion of NPC povs can indeed be helpful but in the case of that fight, I felt like they were fillers. While they do hype up the tension and increase the ante of the threat, I would prefer to see objectives being achieved in them as well, instead of merely being there. That arc could have gone a lot faster that way, though I suppose I appreciate your effort to make the antagonists more three dimensional.

Now that I am on chapter 24 I'm starting to wonder if the True Runes would even be at play here; would Hugo and Chris even get their runes. The Alma Kinan women are certainly somewhat building up to it. Well... I guess I should just continue.

I am definitely in love with this story though. I can't wait for more. I am also ecstatic to know that though 7 years in the making, you still came back. Not a lot of authors do so and I greatly admire you for it.
ghikiJ chapter 18 . 12/15/2017
This may not be even needed at this point but I suppose I'll answer some of the question posted in the author's notes:

I think the pacing is fair. After all, you are orchestrating a multi-faceted world with many events occuring at the same time. I suppose my only comment about it is the relatively scarcity of land marks that would allow me as a reader to imagine where a certain pov is occuring. Maybe it is indeed there, buried in the paragraphs, but there are certain times that I miss it. Perhaps it is mine own fault... I'm not sure.

I'm glad that at this point of the story, the fight scenes aren't as long-winded as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love action sequences, but if it is drawn out, I end up iust wanting to know what happens next and who won. It's a lot better now. A lot more manageable. I do love how you describe fighting scenes, however. It's always very exciting and how you use the runes is refreshing.

The humor of the story is quite enjoyable too. Poor Chris, always teased. Hugo is just so naive at this point. Haha! I'm loving every single chapter though. I shall go back now and continue on!
ghikiJ chapter 16 . 12/14/2017
This story deserves far more reviews than it has. It deserves a review every chapter but... I can't stop clicking the next chapter button! I first read this story years ago and I thought it was abandoned so I didn't proceed. What a huge mistake. I saw it updated not too long ago and decided to dive in. Why didn't I do so years ago?

I'm also replaying the game as I read along and wow to be immersed once again in Suikoden 3s world is amazing. Of course, I prefer the less cartoonish depiction of your story here. The pace is good and the way the story is handled is superb.

I've always been a HugoChris fan (after realizing that there's no way Chris would even look at any of her own knights and discounting Nash as he was married-to the most amazing missus if I might add). There are so few stories as it is and I'm happy and grateful that you chose them for this amazing story. I will keep on reading now.

Thank you for not abandoning this.

(This is supposed to be for ch 15 but apparently I've reviewed before... perhaps years ago and I can't recall)
suikofan chapter 30 . 12/7/2017
Oooh one last update for the year. So if I remember right The Flame Champion stole the Rune from Harmonia I'm guessing this Vessel was suppose to have it and the hundred Fire and Rage runes are actually a kind of life support?
I really hope that its his love for Chris that lets Hugo win this battle of the minds just some straight Shonen power of love BS.
sadistic lunatic chapter 30 . 12/6/2017
"My Hugo" indeed! I really enjoy these little moments between Chris and Hugo. I also like the emphasis on what it means to bear the True Fire Rune. Can't wait to see how this unfolds! Thanks for the update!
suikofan chapter 29 . 10/26/2017
Update time! Lost of plot lines converging and the story is entering the finale stages, but the most important thing is that Chris and Hugo seem to have developed a habit of running hand in hand.
sadistic lunatic chapter 28 . 8/31/2017
Here it comes- the turning point. Will Hugo receive the True Fire Rune? Or will Chris take it in an effort to save him?

Hope this won't end in tragedy between the two.
suikofan chapter 28 . 8/20/2017
Huh never wondered before on Luc's thoughts about the other worlds I mean Leknaat was his master he clearly know of them. Is Pesmerga showing up just you like all fans having wanted that story to continue or was it a sneaky way to say Lucia is dead since they share a star? Thought your Geddoe was great despite being one of the younger immortals in the setting he seems very weighed down by his life. Love all of Chris's why did I just act like a woman moments.
little lily chapter 27 . 8/7/2017
so glad that you finally continue this amzing story!

i really did enjoy read it.

so much more for Hugo and Chris interaction and the progressof their relationship! i am so dying to wait when they finally realise their true feeling!#

and wow, borus is dead! so, there will be no love rival?
Mei-chiri chapter 27 . 7/8/2017
A fantastic read as always. I'm sorry for can't sayijg anymore than that since there's nothing I can really complain about this chapter. The action scenes are all very well-done.