Reviews for Playing With Fire
Brian2008 chapter 11 . 12/18/2008
Great Story! A pleasure to read. I'm glad you are continuing it. After reading chapter 11, I went back and read it from the beginning. I like the way that the story begins with Max and Logan together, but in a fragile relationship that is all of sudden turned upside down by the kidnapping. It was difficult to read about Logan as a victim being drugged and brainwashed so I am hoping that the story is coming to a turning point where he can reassert himself.
latenightrain chapter 11 . 12/17/2008
So excited to see an update to this amazing story. Decided to re-read the whole thing to savor it properly. The Logan chapters with his quirky/creepy captors really keep up the suspense. I like Logan's systematic investigation of his prison. I'm really enjoying puzzling this out. I joined onto the DA FFN bandwagon last year, so I haven't been fortunate enough to read much of your writing "hot off the presses", so this is a pleasure. The story you weave is great, but what sets you apart is your crisp dialogue and the voices that ring so true for the characters, esp. the exchanges between Max and Angel, and between M and L, way back at the beginning of the story.

Can't wait to hear more!
Mari83 chapter 11 . 12/16/2008
So great to see you back! There’s something about your stories that I didn’t even have to go reread the last chapter for following this one, its world staying in my head.

“‘We’ve lost our way but never fear - I know just what to do; I blame the rotten apple core, the red, white and blue.’ That’s brilliant prose.”

The badness of the poetry seems to be a good indicator of Heather’s creepiness – so curious for more of her motives and the connection to Logan’s ‘family’.

"His eyes stared back at him, framed top and bottom by a familiar red, white and blue banner."

Nice way of finding one’s identity:-) So good to see Logan regaining his awareness of who he is, analyzing his situation and investigating his surroundings.

Calvin Simon Theodore.

Cool detail:-)

I actually had to look up pyrokinetic – interesting development. Very much looking forward to more:-)
lisa0316 chapter 11 . 12/16/2008
Welcome back, mouse! I'm so happy you've found the time to do some more writing.

Excellent chapter, as per usual, and I adore creepy firestarter Heather.

Looking forward to more.
BlueAngel137 chapter 11 . 12/16/2008
Hey Mouse, it's so good to see that you're back. :-) And yeah, I'm incredibly happy to see this awesome story continued.

I really liked the increasing tension throughout this chapter, and that Logan starts to take matters into his own hands. I wonder what Max's gonna do and what these people have planned for her? Argh, and I'm so very curious where this story is going. ;-)

I'll (try to) wait patiently for your next update.

LOVE THIS STORY!

THANKS.
Jeanetteg chapter 11 . 12/15/2008
That was exciting. Okay, I'm stupid, what's a pyrokinetic?

A fire starter? That pale girl? Heather? What?

Cool story.
annie200 chapter 11 . 12/15/2008
You're back! Woohoo! Although I confess I had to read the entire story again it was worth it! Welcome back!
Brina2468 chapter 10 . 12/15/2008
So I was skiming thought ffn when I thought I saw something and had to scoll back up to do a double take. And then I saw it. Your update and almost fell out of my seat! I am so happy to see a update from you! I havent read it yet, I wanted to tell you that...I'm excited and thank you so much!
Aurora2424 chapter 11 . 12/14/2008
I'm very excited to see an update, and even more delighted with the notion that this won't be the only story to receive such treatment. Can't wait to see what you post next!
Tab chapter 11 . 12/14/2008
ah so glad you updated - I love when old fics suddenly pop up with new chapters after months of silence, it's just such a happy surprise. Of course I had to re-read the last few two chapters to remember what was happening but then I did and it was wonderful.

I love how even when Logan is drugged and has no memory he's still alert and puzzling it all out.
bethellie chapter 10 . 11/15/2007
Heather is creepy, lol. And I so need an update. :P
annie200 chapter 10 . 6/9/2007
That was officially creepy! And most unexpected.
intstebri chapter 10 . 6/8/2007
I really can't say what I like the more on it, maybe the dream setup (as you made talk a chess piece!) maybe just to allow Logan to think that Eyes-Only could be as improbable as this?

Or maybe the deeper description of Moratelli personality? Which Max seem to be very used now, I really liked it.

Sure the disk with Logan's record on and Max's reactions was great, and maybe there as a hint that is Max the target of all that, because she's the one knowing him?

You see? So many questions...

I really fell for: "He smiled grimly. Maybe it’s my superhero name "

It's a so wonderful surprise for me when you show up with a new chapter!

Thank you! Thank you very much!

(Sorry to have been late for the review)
Mari83 chapter 10 . 6/8/2007
I already said the ‘love it’-part, but still very true. Somehow you manage to throw more mysteries at us with each chapter, leaving me addicted and fascinated but with no idea whether this is about Logan or Max or Eyes Only. (Particularly clueless about the last, because Logan’s abductors don’t seem to know about him, but then he (EO is “the red, white and blue”, right?) gets blamed for the bomb alert)

"Logan smiled, puzzled but bemused. Dreams were so surreal sometimes."

Made me laugh. I love the whole dream-scene, it has this characteristic surreal mix of possible and impossible things, it’s funny, has an amazing atmosphere, the cool detail with the chessboard and the very vivid battle scenes, and it has Logan communicating with his alter ego, which is just a great idea. Also, Logan being a stranger in his own apartment is somehow interesting to watch.

"He stared in horror at the devastation, stretching to the skyline like a post-Apocalyptic nightmare."

Again, great, very atmospheric description. Wonder whether this is connected with people fleeing because of the bomb-threatening...

Cool details:

"Original Cindy stood in her jacket and trousers, both green camouflage material, and a t-shirt that read, ‘I am not a terrorist. Please don’t arrest me.’"

“Be my guest.” She grinned. “I already am,” she said"

Flirty Logan is always a nice sight I just hope he’s up to Heather’s unpredictability. So many fascinating original characters in here:-)

"The man’s face was turned to the side, both arms bent at the elbow and thrown back over his head. She pressed her lips together and managed a small smile. He looked like a kid when he slept."

I really like this, Max’s affection and worry, with the kid-part emphasizing the vulnerability of Logan’s situation. Hope she’ll find a way to find him soon…

And a double-triple portion of virtual Italian ice cream to you for posting the next Writer’s Pulse chapter:-)
BlueAngel137 chapter 10 . 6/7/2007
Great chapter! Loved the dream, it was just perfect - the chess figures fighting their battle, Logan speaking with Eyes Only ... ah ... awesome and the perfect mystery.

Still wondering what those people are up to, especially since they don't seem to know about Eyes Only. And Heather's just creepy.

Favorites:

-...“It’d help my bishop if you could slide your rook two spaces to the left,” the knight grumbled. His horse whinnied as the battle raged around them, swords clanging against shields and orders being shouted. Logan glanced at a small, bald man in robes, holding what he presumed was a Bible under one arm. He was tapping his foot and staring up at Logan, waiting. ...

(Great description.)

-... “Thanks for that,” the knight said. He flipped the visor down on his helmet and gave a lazy salute before riding off, mumbling about the amount of time it took for some people to make a decision. The bishop shuffled across the board, apparently not concerned about his lack of armour as he approached the battle.

Logan smiled, puzzled but bemused. Dreams were so surreal sometimes. He wondered if he’d remember this one upon waking.

(just love this, interesting that Logan knows it's a dream the whole time - surreal, indeed!)

-...“I’d say about two and a half pounds,” Original Cindy said, leaving the officer who was going to answer with his mouth open, as if a hinge had broken. “I’ve been a courier long enough that I know what these things weigh in at, and that -” She pointed to the package. “ - is a fine quality bubble envelope with a cardboard box inside and then something pretty light inside that, as there isn’t much more room on the scale.” ...

(ah, OC at her best :), made me grin)

Really, really love it.