Reviews for Gentle Lesson: The Restoration of the Hatake
rezaria chapter 39 . 10/4/2013
You know, I really liked Letters of Yesterday, so I was compelled to give this a read too.

I'll tell you what I do like about this:

- Characterization of Sakura, Naruto, and Sasuke, and how you really look deep into their characters and motivations and relate that to Kakashi.
- Integration of minor/secondary characters like Anko, Genma, Raidou, Iruka, Asuma, Kurenai, etc. and how their views varied in terms of how to approach Kakashi - you really represent them well.
- Stylistically, the prose is very similar to the manga, so it brings a sense of familiarity to canon
- The intent on delving into a more tragic side to Kakashi.

Okay, so let's move on the negatives. Aside from the occasional mechanical/spelling/grammar issue and some formatting problems, I have a couple of issues with this work:

- Yukio, Yukio, Yukio. Okay, I have a couple of problems with this character. First, he's really pushing his repulsiveness to the extreme - I really don't like reading his scenes, and his presence is quite distubing. But also, I just don't buy that Kakashi would let himself be treated like that. Although Kakashi does feel some guilt and self-pity, I think that it's a bit too far-fetched to consider him a sexual victim as well, it just doesn't mesh and the two characteristics are not complimentary or analogous. Kakashi is proud and devoted and loyal, and this part of him (that Yukio brings out) doesn't ring true.

This brings me to my next point, which is what I think Yukio is: I feel like he's just this plot device to make Kakashi more miserable than he already is - that's what he represents, isn't it? Kakashi's low points? Well, honestly, I feel that his inclusion is just way over the top. Here's why: Kakashi's backstory is already super angsty and melodramatic. Why would you need to create more of that when there's already SO much there to work with and develop? You don't need to pile on more tragedy, because, frankly, it's unnecessary.

Third, how does no one else in ANBU know about the whole abuse thing with Yukio? It stretches believably that Yukio could hide himself THAT well to fool EVERYONE around him, especially since everyone else is a super-observant ninja too.

Lastly, I don't like how the result/fallout is handled. Yukio was an abuser and it's weird that Kakashi "thanks" him - it makes readers confused as to what kind of message they're supposed to get from that, and honestly, I feel that every other character just kind of brushes the whole thing off when it's a huge deal. Like, when he was being abused, and they KNEW, why didn't they DO anything?

- The other quibble I had was the pairing-everyone-up kind of thing. Was that really necessary? It felt a bit contrived, honestly - in the soap-opera ensemble kind of way.

But otherwise, I enjoyed certain parts of it very much.
The You of Yesterday chapter 11 . 5/5/2013
Even though I have read this before, I still nearly cried at the end! It's too sad! Xx
The You of Yesterday chapter 6 . 5/1/2013
The last part of this chapter made me shiver... for the third time!
The You of Yesterday chapter 4 . 5/1/2013
This is my third time reading your story, and I'm ashamed to say I don't think I've reviewed it before...!
What keeps me coming back is your portrayal of the characters, especially of Kakashi, which seems very close to the manga characters to me. I think you've captured Kakashi's complicated character very well. He's really a sweet, kind person who's led an unbelievably hard life, and I could well believe that after years of being back in ANBU again he could become like he is here.
Thanks for the story! :-)
Amrun chapter 39 . 3/27/2013
I enjoyed reading through this story, even if I came to it a little late. It was a different depiction if ANBU and Kakashi than I have seen before. Thanks for sharing.
Guest chapter 12 . 3/19/2013
This reminded me of Gaara when Kakashi was talking about his mother...I felt so bad... TT
LoveAddict-ooops chapter 21 . 3/13/2013
I rather enjoyed this Chappie, it was cute.
LoveAddict-ooops chapter 19 . 3/13/2013
First Review ive ever posted, love this chappie !
Adrianna Beans chapter 39 . 12/29/2012
Wow that was AMAZING,I just simply loved it...it was quite addicting
skie89 chapter 39 . 9/18/2012
This is a very tormented story. I am grateful for the happy ending. I am especially grateful to have found it again aftre losing it before.
Akatsuki no Uso chapter 39 . 8/15/2012
You wrote an amazing story. I was captivated from start to finish and through the whole story I couldn't wait to start the next chapter. You are a fabulous writer.
Nonumaru chapter 11 . 6/16/2012
It is an interesting story line, but very very confusing. I'm not sure which time is past or present. Love Kakasaku pairing though. :)
skie89 chapter 24 . 6/1/2012
I like how you have acurately potrayed Kakashi's psycological troubles. Excellent writing.
Lightwings chapter 39 . 12/15/2011
That was an amazing kind of story or more to say epos. Sometimes it was hard to follow the thoughts, flashbacks and POV changes. A short mention above would have been nice ;) I like your writing style you are really talented. The end is the best when Kakashi and Sakura finally get together and are a happy family. It may sound harsh but Yukio deserved nothing better. He draged Kakashi even more down especially in the end. Sometimes I could have killed the bastard myself.

Thanks for writing this really awesome fiction.

Lightwings
baby-kitsune9 chapter 39 . 11/24/2011
ok, first off i liked the story.

second of all, there was a lot of crazy going down. (not that that's a bad thing)

but what really bugged me about this was the fact that that guy Yukio was raping Kakashi all that time and Kakashi didn't kill him.

he should have, god knows i would have killed a guy if he had been raping me and still showed his face to me.

kakashi is a very proud man, even when broken he wouldn't have allowed that to continue past the first time.

aside from that, again it was a nice read. thank you