Reviews for The Unexamined Life
pronker chapter 4 . 8/3/2010
Yes, yes, I did read Night Force and thanks for bringing back memories of Colan's inking and the Wolfman stories. I liked it tone, touched with the plebeian and not otherworldly to the extreme. I'm pleased that PS is going to visit Kent and Inza, but honestly, they don't appeal to me as much as the PS himself and the Night Force crew. So, I've enjoyed this fic quite a lot and if you ever return to it, I'll read and review. Toodles!
pronker chapter 3 . 8/3/2010
The only Portnoy I know is in Portnoy's Complaint, not something in this story, except maybe facetiously. And I loved the idea that the memory wipe was specific to what methods he /had/ used, thus leaving the enormous body of what he had /observed/ at his disposal. All this, plus the line 'why the toilet I never use them' make for a really memorable story. On to Baron Winters ...
pronker chapter 2 . 8/1/2010
They're being quite polite, as if they need him for something more than study - it's a good story when a reader hasn't an inkling of what will happen next.
pronker chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
Fine beginning and the tone is particularly attractive - he's supernatural and /thinks/ of supernatural things, yet to consider that he carries cash and that he's in a Wal-Mart, well, that's first-rate. Reading on ...
Superboy-Prime the Eva Pilot chapter 1 . 6/16/2007
Wow, man. This is pretty good stuff you got going on here. Not many people would take the time to write a story on the Phantom Stranger. Ive always liked him because he's the best mysterious character in comics, i believe and im glad he's getting exposure like your giving him right now. Keep it up!
lazy-bones-the-dragon chapter 3 . 4/13/2007
Hm, this story intrigues me...I've only learned recently of Phantom Stranger, but this story is very interesting. I would love to see more.
Paxwolf chapter 1 . 11/14/2005
I was delighted to see this fic here firstly, and delighted even more so upon reading it. I have to confess I've always been a tried and true fan of the enigmatic (and increasingly difficult to find) Phantom Stranger. So to see any story featuring him is quite a treat! But your fic here is wonderfully written, and with an intriguing premise. I didn't expect a first person narrative to particularly work with the Stranger, (because of his mysterious nature) but you really made it make sense without making any definitive choices about his origin or powers. I like how you described his abilities at 'knowing' things and his instantaneous 'teleportation', neither boiling it down to magic, science, the supernatural, or religion. Nicely done. I also enjoyed the inclusion of bits of literature. Lovely!

Best of all was the tension and drama exhibited by this first chapter's end. Yes, the Phantom Stranger is very powerful, but you don't forget that he can be taken down through physical means, as has been so often demonstrated in his comic series. Nice to be reminded he is not infallible. And I really want to see why he was captured, and by whom! More, please!