Reviews for The Mending Summer
Guest chapter 13 . 12/4/2013
wasn't claus in a wheelchair?
InuKagomeLuver4Eva chapter 14 . 6/11/2011
OMG. I just finished the series today and I was like, I hope there's some romance in it! But noooooooooo, there wasn't! So this is where your story comes in! :3 I absolutely LOVE the story! I kept thinking, 'When are they going to kiss?' But then they did and I was like, 'YAY!' and then they did some more hahaha *coughcough* :). This is probably the best story I've ever read based off a series I just finished lmao. Keep up the good work and have a cookie and an Alex Louis Armstrong smiley!

~(:3)
Analor chapter 14 . 11/19/2010
aww this is so cute , and so very well written i loved every single part plz do keep writing
Amazing chapter 14 . 11/8/2010
I am so glad I stumble across this. You really nailed th characters in the begning and matured them in a very realistic manner. There are few stories posted here that leave me with any sort of feeling. I had to smile and let a tear fall for this couple and group of friends forced through so much. Amazing job. I can't say that enough. Amazing.
hawkflyer667 chapter 14 . 3/15/2010
Great story! ) I really liked it, and this is an awesome anime. Claus and Lavie are so cute together! D Teehee.

~Hawkie
Skwiziks chapter 14 . 9/16/2009
I just finished Last Exile a couple days ago and came on looking to see if someone had expanded on the resolution of the show to tie up some of the loose ends left at the end. Lo and behold I found exactly what I was looking for.

You did a really good job with this story. It started and neatly wrapped up all the relationship threads left open at the end of the show. The way you had Claus and Lavie finally admit their feelings was very appropriate for their characters. And the themes expressed in the title held strong throughout the entire thing. Not always easy to do.

Loved it.
Sonar chapter 10 . 8/28/2009
Seems all right.
Asurahaya020 chapter 14 . 6/1/2009
I like the subtle feel of the whole story- it leaves a very nice warm feeling after every chapter. But then, I guess that doesn't work too well with certain chapters wherein you were going for a more dramatic feel.

I liked how you portrayed Claus, Lavie, Moran, Alis and Tatiana. And the idea that Dio got swept into the New World is quite nice as well. I feel that much more could be done with Al though.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed for the lack of problems other than their social ties. But then again, I think you made the confrontation between Lavie and Tatiana very convincing and real. Which probably saves the whole write-up from it's lack of other difficult circumstances.

Overall, a very good read. The pacing is nice and very satisfying, and the way they move on gives a very natural feel. Oh, and thank you for expounding on Claus x Lavie- been wanting to read a good one all this time.
junyortrakr chapter 14 . 5/27/2009
It's about time those two finally were going to make their relationship official. I would expect they'd have enough to deal with as life went on, but that can be dealt with as it happens.

I would suppose the other girls will move on, too. Since there wasn't an actual infantry war, I rather doubt they'll have any difficulty finding a husband in time.

In one other note, I thought it somewhat interesting that he was forever harvesting the wheat. I never raised wheat, but, with crops like that, the harvest doesn't take very long. That's only a minor note, of course.
Dustii chapter 14 . 4/26/2009
This story was just incredible! All the characters were wonderfully fleshed out and the character interactions were superb. This would be the perfect epilogue to the anime! An absolute pleasure to read!
SNAKER chapter 14 . 3/6/2009
That was so cute you should write more of this pairing keep up the good .
Petite-G33k chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
Aww this is so cute! x3 I mean... Nothing really happens, but the way you write it... It's magic! The descriptions, the dialogs, everything is perfect!

You said at the very beginning of the story it was "quite slow", but I don't think so. I find it very interesting the way it is, I wish I could see more fanfics like yours here v

A really good job.

I love this first-chapter-where-nothing-happens-but-that-keeps-us-reading cause it's just

x3
CrimsonEyedAngel99 chapter 14 . 10/19/2008
Awesome writing! I just finished watching the series and reading this was an excellent follow-up. (Specially for closure for Dio... poor brainwashed vanship-falling-off boy). Thanks for writing. _
dreadis chapter 1 . 10/6/2008
dont know if you are still active here and all but great story...if you have anything else written elsewhere it would be great to know of
cloudmonet chapter 14 . 8/8/2008
On the Last Exile show, Claus and Lavie are last seen living on a farm with Tatiana, Alicia, Alvie, Moran, Dunya, and a couple of young, unexplained children, one of whom is hanging out with Tatiana and Alicia, the other with Moran and Dunya. And actually, there's a brief glimpse of someone who looks a lot like Dio. It looks a lot like a happy hippie commune. What's really going on is left to the viewer's imagination, but I inferred that Claus and Lavie were probably now a couple, and that competitive pressure from Tatiana and Alicia, both of whom seemed to like Claus, as well as the potential future threat from Alvie, whose age difference would soon matter much less, would have forced Lavie to make her move.

Still, it's a major frustration for shippers like me that the only kiss on the whole show was a completely random one between Sophia and Claus, which seemed to have nothing to do with anything, other than possibly showing us both Sophia's sexual frustration over angsty Alex, and Claus's confusion.

Fanfiction writers live to fix these problems, right? Well, thank you, Arcadia05, for the well-written hypothesis about life on the farm. From Claus and Lavie's initial appearance, I feel the same way I'd feel if a new season of Last Exile were to miraculously materialize. You nailed them. I don't feel like I'm watching some cosplayers pretending to be Claus and Lavie. This is really them.

Life isn't always filled with adventures, and Claus and Lavie aren't adventurers at heart, at least not on the level of the one they just went through. Although Lavie craved excitement, she was frightened by war, and by this time probably wouldn't crave excitement as much as she used to.

So we have a story that certainly would never get animated. Lavie and Claus make a map, build a house, get together as a couple, and Lavie works things out with all the other characters present, and oh yes, she breaks her leg with some falling shelves. Pretty humdrum stuff, really, but fascinating to anyone who knows and loves these characters. This probably is what happened next, or at least something of the sort.

I honestly don't know why the creators chose not to show Claus and Lavie kissing to seal the deal sometime near the end of the show, but your probings inside their minds offer reasonable suggestions.

The way the other characters grow and develop through the story seems quite reasonable. Tatiana, of course, has changed the most, but this is just continuing the trend of the show. The way you repeatedly parallel Tatiana's military officer persona with Lavie's tomboy persona is interesting, though I believe Lavie's persona is more deeply rooted and genuine than Tatiana's— which is probably why at least some of Lavie's tears in the final chapter bothered me just a little— but not much. I might not know Lavie as well as I think I do.

You managed to deal with everybody's feelings without making any character a cariacature, or drifting into soap opera, or having endless discussions that don't solve anything, which is rare in slice-of-life romance stories about couples from adventures.

I've never written this much about someone else's fanfic before. Really nice work, Arcadia05!