Reviews for Survivor: Dewford Islands
PoDi Mon Fan chapter 13 . 1/5/2012
I feel like I owe it to Gomamon to just leave this last review. Gomamon, thank you so much for writing Casey the way you did this story. You did an amazing job writing her (and all the other characters I might add), they all just come to life. After re-reading this again, I'm really happy that Takuya lost and that Drew won. Drew definitely did deserve it.

Wow, it is extremely hard to find a well-written Survivor story here, so kudos to you Gomamon! Wherever you are, I hope you are doing well.
Alisa chapter 13 . 7/18/2011
I WANTED TAKUYA TO WIN! HE DESERVED IT MORE THAN THAT FREAKIN HELL OF AN IDIOT!
missxcellophane chapter 1 . 2/13/2008
First off, I found this story at chapter three, randomly on Google. So I was to a bit of a disadvantage at first (despite having been a fan of both shows, I did have an attack of "Who the bloody hell is D-oh. OH. Okay, then that attitude makes sense..."). Furthermore, I found it on your site, but I wanted to comment enough that I sought this out here.

I really enjoyed it. To put in reference for you, I only paused in reading for bathroom and refills. I don't even /watch/ Survivor, for crissakes. Half my extended family does, but despite this, I genuinely enjoyed the story. I did notice minor mistakes - missing words, wrong names, the occasional grammar error - but they were so miniscule and easy to do that it didn't bother me like such things tend to. In fact, the quality of these and the general storytelling itself was a big draw for a writing Nazi like myself, lol.

Does it make me a bad person, however, that I didn't like Takuya? Because I really didn't. I guess I'm not a huge gogglehead fan... However, the ending made my eyes bulge from their sockets and heart pop right out of my chest. (Okay, perhaps a slight exaggeration.) At every elimination, you managed to surprise me! Tut, tut, must work on my deductive skills. I was both TOTALLY off on the winner, but did not expect my favorites (Rika and TK) to last as long as they did, so that /was/ nice. I liked that it was unexpected. I will admit that I wanted to strangle pretty much everyone but the previously mentioned favorites at one time or another. Oh, except James. He was fun. But JP I cheered as he left (.
Lil' Miss Kagura chapter 13 . 11/29/2007
wow! ur pretty good at writn this shit...not many peoplez can pull it off, thats all i gotta say, BTW, hey can u do the amazing race 4 pokemon n ny othr animes ud like 2 include, id really like that (and if u actually listen 2 me (which i doubt) can u PLEAZE put may n drew on 1 team n dawn n kenny/kengo (if u dont noe who those 2 r ill tell u if u want)on anothr, i dont care who u use 4 the othr teams) ;)
Mkdashurzin chapter 13 . 10/19/2007
You picked the wrong guy to win...

That's all i have to say...
lena-jade chapter 13 . 10/14/2007
Believe it or not, I found this story - or your website, rather - through Google search. I prefer not like to read game show stories, seeing as how they are usually of low quality. However, skimming the first chapter briefly dislodged my skepticism. The prose was refreshingly mature, and the fact that descriptions balanced out the dialogue was a point in your favor. The good grammar and spelling pretty much clinched it. No matter how well thought of a plot a story may have, if it lacks a sufficient amount of good grammar and spelling, I tune right out. I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised with a nice gem of a story - I've added it to my Favorite Stories list.

There were few instances in the story where you omitted a verb now and then, but it did not hinder the reader - because it was easy to figure out what it was considering the context in which the omitted verbs were supposed to be placed in.

I'm far more familiar with Digimon than Pokemon, so I'll just comment on the characterizations of the Digimon characters. For the most part, they seem on the spot, although you've took few liberties. Now, I do NOT mean this in a bad way. I think it is good that you've not only characterized them well, but expanded and added on your own unique takes to them. Reading through the surveys, I was intrigued by a comment that you had received a lot of flak for not writing TK well enough. I don't think I could've ever imagined that just by reading the story, for you've done him justice. He really isn't too difficult of a character to write - in comparison to say, Snape - but I notice many writers struggle and botch up his characterization because they have no way of writing him 3D. Some justify say it is impossible to write him because he is too "perfect", but that is only because they do not try to get into his head well enough - which is characters are interesting in the first place. So good job! The only thing I thought got a little repetitive in the beginning was his handsome face. I liked it, since I do have a soft spot for the guy, but even I have to admit it.

The Takuya/TK tension was an interesting dynamic, as was Drew/TK - but just to comment on one thing mentioned in the previous chapters as to why TK disliked Takuya... I don't know if you've ever watched the original (Japanese) version, but I don't think Takeru ever disliked Daisuke. Of course, it's rather difficult to tell in the dub version, but if you've listened to the Drama CDs, watch the individual movies and the raw episodes, you'll see that TK actually does like Daisuke - he just gets obnoxious and on his nerves now and then. However, I enjoyed the Takuya/TK relationship too much for this to be a serious crit...which brings me to my next point.

Again, I was satisfied with all the characterizations. You've made all the characters complex and human and real, without trying to completely villify or saint-fy them. What impressed me the most was that you took a game that took people's flaws and placed them in the most unflattering light, and succeeded writing the characters ICC without a hitch. It's a game, as TK says, that "encourages people to partake in as much deceit and betrayal as possible...and get rewarded for being liars and backstabbers." I really liked how you had this in the open, and through a mouthpiece, Takeru, flat out state, "And I’m one of them. We all are." Part of the reason what makes Survivor hard to write in a story is that it requires one to be able to do this while keeping them complex, human, real, and in some cases, likable. So good job!

The only character who I felt was slighted a bit was Mimi. I don't blame you though, considering how simplistic the dub portrays her. While she does care about her looks and fashion, she doesn't make a big deal out of them in Zero Two...but one could never tell in the English version. She really isn't too bad in the Japanese version - in fact, she's rather cute in the way she acts. I never cared for her in the English version, but after I watched the originals, I found her endearing. It's really amazing how much one's opinion can change after watching Digimon 100% uncut and unedited by Nimoy. On an unrelated note, do you happen to have a soft spot for Goggle-heads? ;)

The plot was interesting and exciting to read - I was never bored, and my eyes were glued to the screen and away from the essays I was distracted from. It was unpredictable at a lot of the times, but it didn't detract from realism - which was VERY refreshing (you really have no idea how refreshing it is). I also liked how you did not have Takuya or TK or James, the more likable people, win. Strangely enough, I find Drew far more interesting and even more likable as a character (but definitely NOT as a person) out of the Final Two. In any case, you went for the conniving bastard who masterminded and played the best game win - which really is the way it should be...because that's the whole point of Survivor. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen in RL a lot of the time, so seeing someone like Drew win - though unexpected - was a refreshing change.

I wish there was a TV series on this story, but alas... In any case, you've done a splendid job, and I'll look forward to reading the next season on Survivor!
iheartcrossovers chapter 13 . 9/19/2007
pretty good. you have quiet a talent at making survivor stories. You are extremly gifted. Hey, maybe you could read my story and give me a couple writing tips? heh

Aw, i wanted takuya to win, i hated drew the most out of the entire story.
Evil Riggs chapter 1 . 4/24/2007
Shut the fuck up, Donnie! Vladimir. Ilyich. Ulyanov! Vladimir Lenin!
lupyne chapter 13 . 12/12/2006
(clap clap)

An amazing end to an amazing story. Well, I'd rather James or TK win, but oh well.

I certainly hope you do more reality-TV fics. I know about your next Survivor, and I'm sure it would be great (though I don't know most of the characters)

Any chances of another Mole?
shadowgirl1613 chapter 13 . 12/2/2006
Wow! I never thought Drew would be the winner! It makes sense though...he was always playing the game and he never lost focas. Will there be a reunion? I'd love to see everyone's thought on the game!

I saw the little sneek peak on your next work. I can't wait! I don't know many of the characters, but I really want to read the story!

Like I've always said, this was by far the best Survivor I have ever read and you're an awsome writer. Can't wait for your next masterpiece!
Star Holder Commander chapter 13 . 11/29/2006
I have to be blunt. I hate you for what you did to Takuya. I would like it if you made another Survivor, in a new location, posibly in the digital world, and allow both Drew and Takuya battle again, with a new host of 14 others as weel. Also Genni would be the host. The young Genni, not the old one.
gochen86 chapter 13 . 11/29/2006
This just got better and better! I'm a little dissapointed that Drew won, though. Like Brock, I think Drew is a total asshole. Well, at least I have an idea for my own Survivor spoof. Instead of it being just Pokemon and Digimon characters, I'm throwing in some Dragonball Z, Naruto, and FullMetal Alchemist characters. I just need some ideas for the immunity chalanges. If you want to send me some, my e-mail address is:

Thank you for a great story. I was waiting with a lot of uneasiness for the last chapter, but it was good. Except for Drew winning, though. Anyways, keep up the great work. I can't wait for a sequel, if your up to it, of course.

Later.

-gochen86- _

P.S. Was Casey's torch ever found?
PoDi Mon Fan chapter 13 . 11/28/2006
hey Gomamon! awesome story, horrible winner! oh well, drew won, doesn't matter. can't wait for your next story. are you gonna make a reunion episode though?
redlion2286 chapter 13 . 11/28/2006
No... Its like the 1st season of RealSuviver. But u did a good Jobthough, I cant wait till the next story. Thanks for sticking with it,. It took a while for updates but u chpts r long. And i am happy u finished it.

Good Job
Nolaquen265 chapter 13 . 11/28/2006
Ahh...Takuya didn't win, and Drew did. Rats. You know, it's going to be interesting to see the survey results.

Anyway, nice end to it all. Can't wait till the next story.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »