Reviews for The Fords of Isen
VJ Riddle chapter 1 . 3/1
I like this story, especially the way it is all very matter-of-fact in their existence as ghosts, and just a sort of 'day in the life' in the aftermath of the war. It's a fitting thought, that they would remain to defend their people when they could. And the ways their deaths were indicated were well-worked too, especially the key feature, oyster shells!
IstariWho chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
LOVE IT!
So completely random and inspired!
Hannon-le!
Equilly chapter 1 . 6/15/2011
Wow, this is an amazing story! I love how Theodred and Boromir work together, and I've always loved Theodred's last words. I like how dedicated both of them were to the welfare of the people of Middle-Earth, and I think you did a great job illustrating that in this story. At first when you mentioned the white crest, I thought Theodred was Eomer, though- that confused me, as well as the fact that child's name was Elfwine. All in all, though, a great story; I loved the loyalty and the friendship you portrayed between the two. I think they could have been friends if they had lived.

Best!

-claire
Tatooine92 chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
That was... positively beautiful. I can't say more than that because I'm still taken by it!
Dust of the Stars chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
I wasn't sure what to expect from a "Rohirric ghost story" but I was pleasantly surprised! Very creative yet very much in keeping with Tolkien's myths and you definitely captured the spirit of the Rohirrim. It's touching to think of the fallen warriors watching over the living. And Boromir laughing as he says he thought "That we would never die" will stick with me for awhile. Thanks for the great read!
ReviewsGalore chapter 1 . 1/21/2007
Story: 9/10. Good idea for a story and I like how it is told as if someone is relating a story. Very appropriate for the type of fic that it is.

Characters: 8.5/10. Most of your characters are pretty interesting. You don't go as in depth with Boromir and Theodred as I would like, but I like the idea of them as ghosts.

Creativity: 9.25/10. I've never read a story quite like this and I like the perspective that it's told from.

Writing: 9.25/10. Your story is well-written. You use description well.

Believability: 8.75/10. I'm not quite sure why Theodred and Boromir are together in this story (maybe you explained it, but I just missed it). The events are pretty believable to Middle-Earth and I think the storyteller comes off as very believable.

Overall: 9/10. A nice idea for a story and you approach it in an interesting way.
Fili chapter 1 . 11/20/2006
WOW... Gotta pick my jaw up off the floor... AMAZING story! Absolutely amazing. TREMENDOUS piece of work!
dancingkatz chapter 1 . 8/1/2006
This is a fabulously well-written tale! Definitely, one to be re-read over and over again.
mediagirl42 chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
Very nice story(I wouldn't mind having those ghosts visit me, Bori needs a drop cloth though)
GreyWolfEyes chapter 1 . 12/3/2005
*pants* I have managed to escape real life and now am finally going to review you! Haha!

Okey...

I love the way you tell the story straight from Thorstan's mouth. I always imagined the Rohirrim (can I use that term for the Rohan people in general? Or is it supposed to be used for just the fighting Rohan population? I can't remember) as having an oral tradition. I can just imagine Elfwine telling the story to his kids, and then they'll tell their kids, and then...yeah. So that's a cool aspect of the story.

When Thorstan trails off when he's talking about the pregnant farmwife, it gave me the chills. The way you wrote that made it way creepier than him just saying "they gutted her". Ew, sicko orcs...I hate them.

Man, if I ever get even close to as good as you are at writing fight scenes, I will be proud. You write them so good. You give just enough desciption so you can get lost in it, but not so much that you feel like you're reading a written version of the Matrix 2 (those fight scenes were so long and pointless...bleh).

I had to look up the word "berserker", but that is a great word. It fits Boromir very well.

Thorstan's concern for his horse is great, too. Those Rohirrim are so crazy about their horses...I love them.

Alright! Boromir and Theodred! I never really thought about them being buddies or anything untill I accidentally happened upon a slash story with them. But while I don't agree that they got together to have freaky butt-sex, I really like the idea of them being friends. They might be dangerous when they get together, though...

Oh, I love how you have a good reason for Theodred being a ghost, that whole "I'll keep the Fords till Eomer comes" deal. It gives more depth to the story, and less of the "ooh, wouldn't it be super great if so-and-so just appeared here and did this? Even though that's totally impossible and Tolkein would roll in his grave if he heard it?" that some writers do. It makes me want to yell at them with the old woman, "Why would so-and-so be any more likely to walk about than other dead folk!” You know? But you give a good reason, so it's all good.

Boromir's constant dripping and the oysters stuck to his sheild are great. And I liked the physical presence of both him and Theodred - Theodred being able to loan out his cloak, Boromir checking his sheild for dents - seems like in alot of ghost stories, there's that annoying cliche where someone sees the ghost stick his hand through his own stomach or something. I hate that.

“What did you think?" "That we would never die." Oh, that fits Boromir so well...he does seem to think he's invincible, doesn't he?

Alrighty, I think I've blathered quite long enough. Great one-shot, can't wait for more updates from you. *unsubtle HINT, unsubtle HINT* Oh, oh, yeah - thanks for the review on FictionPress - hehe, yes, it was very mean of me to make Chye's name mean "clever"...And thanks for all the great advice. OK. Well, til next time!

-WolfEyes
majorbee chapter 1 . 11/27/2005
Meatn to leave signed review last time. Also wanted to say that I've started reading your longer story and love it! Great characterisations and action.
Carolyn Golledge Majorbee chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
Excellent story, expertly told! Thank you so much for a most enjoyable read, and some wonderful images. Love the way you remind us of the strong bond of friendship between Boromir and Theodred. Also that Theodred's oath held him to protect the Ford, and that Boromir would come to his aid is most believable. Nice ghostly touches too (no pun intended!) of the hand in the fire, and Boromir dripping water everywhere and having chilled hands. Perfection in the final punch line of the oyster shell as proof, and then the libation in honour of the memories of too fine men. Many thanks!

Carolyn
Redone chapter 1 . 11/25/2005
What a wonderful story! Touching, original, and very well written.
NanaHalfelven chapter 1 . 11/22/2005
Very well done! Looking forward to reading more of your work. I like the tales exploring "might have happened, could have happened" angles of the LOTR world. You've obviously given this a lot of thought, and it shows in the quality of your writing.

NanaHalfElven
Alariel chapter 1 . 11/22/2005
A friend sent me a link to this story. I just want you to know that it was fantastic, well thought out, extremely well written and thoroughly enjoyable. You created a mood and atmosphere that had the hair standing up on the back of my neck. Well done!