Reviews for The Wedding Night of the PsuedoAlexander
WarriorQwil chapter 1 . 11/26/2010
This is amazing. I love this (actually I love all your work, but I think I will rant to you about that in another review) I love first chapter (original ending) because it had me guessing and on the edge of my seat, and then provided a very sound (adorable!) resolution. But I think I loved the second chapter even better! The ambiguity, the mystery of it all, the way every piece fit so perfectly and yet jarred ever so slightly because there were TWO Alexanders, just enough to keep me disoriented in the most delicious way - and the resolution, as enigmatic as everything else about PseudoAlex, and leaving the dagger was just right. The classic plot twist when leaving dreamland - the object inexplicably left behind. Characters like PseudoAlex who "know" what's really going on, who appear to be aware of who is holding all the cards, can be either very one dimensional or endlessly intriguing, and I have to say I was drawn to the way you developed him in the second ending. And at the very end, the touch of fear you inserted had my heart beating a little faster, rereading the passage to find just where the fear began, to find its source, its justification, and it added a whole new layer to the night/dream - it had me questioning the benevolence of PseudoAlex, questioning my interpretation of the story up till that point.

Like I said, everything you write is beautiful and I absolutely LOVE your characterizations of Alex and Heph (for me, you hit them spot on!), but I had to review this one because it messed with my mind in the most delightful way!

Very, very well done as always.

Peace and love ~
Ingu chapter 2 . 9/20/2010
Hahaha omg, I KNEW it! XD Alexander with multiple personalities? Oh wow... and pseudo-alexander sacrificed himself? Aw... hahaha God this is hilariously awesome. I love you.
Ingu chapter 1 . 9/20/2010
Aaaaaaaah, I can't believe you did that 'I just woke up and it's all a dream thing'. XD But it's so beautiful I love you for it. D This was a gorgeous read, but then what else was I expecting?
riaki chapter 2 . 10/12/2008
I know I'm reviewing after almost 3 years but after reading your stories I simply couldn't help it:). They were absolutelly hilarious and a perverse,loudicrously sarcastic tone permeates both of them!Whilst reading I imagined the characters as shounen-ai manga heroes: Especially when poor Hephaistion lays eyes on the singing(whore to be,who could have imagined?lol) pseudo-Alexander for the first time and then in the second story when Amyntor enters the room to find out that his son has not been bedding a prostitute,but the sweet-smelling and shyly grinning Prince Alexander...Alexander's famous dagger as a thread that cautiously hold the stories together was very imaginative, as well as the choice of names(Thersites;)). What more can I say? Your fics simply rock...Thanx once more for sharing them!
Norrsken chapter 2 . 7/13/2006
This is hilarious! So many twists and turnings, at first one feels so sorry for Hephaestion and his sorrows at Alexander's wedding one is glad it's AR! Then enters the Pseudo-Alexander, and all the complications at the tavern. At the end of chapter one all is exposed as an adolescent dream - then comes the sequel, filled with even more hilarious intrigues. The Prince's wedding night makes me laugh, Iphis' anger and Alexander being scolded so badly he thinks he has married his Mother! Amyntor's entry at Hephaestion's bedchamber is priceless, indeed. Finding out WHO brought the delicious perfumes into his son's room must have been a shock! It's good Alexander always can escape out on campaigh with his True Steadfast Friend when his domestic life has been so very upset!

Both your stories are so sweet and funny. A light-headed excursion from the more serious minded angst and adventure stories.

All the best wishes,

/NorthernLight
Joyeee chapter 2 . 6/24/2006
"Joy to you, Sir...joy indeed..." - translates in modern-speak to one of those sultry "Why, hello there!" or ... I think in the TV show Friends one of the guys, one of those funnily macho characters, says to pretty girls he wants to impress, "How _you_ doin'?" And the guy says it with an "infuriatingly cheerful manner" - what a perfect way for Hephaestion to wake up when he's all miserable about whether he lost his virginity to an "actor-singer-possible-prostitute" or (worse?) that he was still a virgin!

But what confusion! As with the first chapter readers are left spinning in a whorl of craziness with Hephaestion - which one's real, is the one standing in front of him now the real one, was it the real one last night or not?

Poor Alexander too! He really did marry another version of his mother, didn't he? And "I called out your name!" indeed! Again, I'm strangely proud of both of them for things that they're mortified about, things that I'm laughing about!

When Hephaestion refuses to be swept up by Alexander's declaration of love, though, I wasn't laughing. He's just heard the words he's been waiting for so long, yet he remembers that Alexander's excellent at saying what people want to hear, notes that it is only now, when he's leaving, that Alexander seems to realize he's in love - and Hephaestion knows it could be a "cruel game." Alexander seems just like his usual self, glossing over how "they" made the decision to keep their "carnal lust" out of their love, and being sulky when Hephaestion challenges it. Still, I love how you always make their final acceptance of each other equal - here Hephaestion takes the reins first, challenging Alexander, expecting him to go with "bitter satisfaction," but when Alexander accepts that challenge it's Hephaestion who's a little surprised, and Alexander who takes charge, so to speak.

Amyntor's entrance is priceless. But the end leaves us in that whorl again - divine intervention! And not with any atmostphere of choral singing or magical all-consuming light, either, but a rather disjointed, off-balance sort of feeling. It's one thing to imagine divine contact, but quite another to actually think that a god's (or gods?) been interacting with you all this time!
A Horse Called Hwin chapter 2 . 6/17/2006
Good heavens...this two stories are just full of surprises! But they are simply great!
Fredericka chapter 2 . 2/14/2006
This is hilarious! Are you channeling Aubrey Menen! I sincerely believe he’d be proud to name you his rightful heir.

Poor, confused Hephaestion, thinking, indeed hoping, he’d awakened in his family home, only to find it wasn’t a dream after all. . .believing he’d really gone mad. Then stumbling there to find a frantic Alexander hiding from his new bride’s sexual expectations.

I especially enjoyed Alexander’s wailing realization: “I think I’ve married my mother”, (which to all accounts he did later with Roxanne). Then he slyly tries to manipulate Hephaestion, who easily sees through his childish attempts to get his way. And I have fallen hopelessly in love with your Amyntor! The scene where he bursts in on the two (at last) lovers perfectly depicts a father’s exasperation. “Oh gods” what on earth will he tell Phillip and Olympus, not to mention the equally formidable Iphis?

And, Oh cruel Eros! Oh Cruel Moon! the sweet, sweet suffering when you leave us to ponder the mystery.. Was THIS scenario also a dream? Was Alexander leading a double-life that he had blocked from his conscious mind, like a sleepwalker who doesn’t remember where he’s been? Was HE the fake Alexander? If so, how did the note get there? Or…was the “fake” really Eros being a trickster, taking impish pleasure manipulating the two young mortals into a series of confusing situations before finally, he takes pity, and, proceeding to implement his initial intention, binds them together forever? Is this the reason he reappeared to save Hephaestion’s life in “The Ivory Eros”?

In a literary mystery, one of the qualities separating the ordinary from the extraordinary is when a story so invades a reader’s mind that he or she simply cannot rest until it is solved. The questions presented by this “extraordinary” story will perch on the edge of my consciousness forever unless I solve it…or until you graciously decides to present an epilogue?An extraordinary story by an extraordinary writer!

Loved it,

Fredericka
Baliansword chapter 2 . 2/11/2006
Aww...

It is such an ease to know that Hephaestion was all along with Alexander. It actually makes things all the better. Because at least neither of them...cheated...even though they were not yet an item. Yet I'm sure you understand the idea of it.

I absolutely love the story! Great writing and I'm glad you shared this with the world. Hope to hear more from you soon! ~sorry it took so long to review this chapter btw~

~Baliansword
Queendel chapter 2 . 2/10/2006
I like it. It is nice and quite funny.
I Heart Wolf chapter 1 . 2/1/2006
Bravo! I loved it!

I was so sad at the beginning for Hephaestion.. then the silliness ensued! Only he would "hallucinate" Alexander.

Great ending, too! :)
Joyeee chapter 1 . 1/17/2006
Now I know it's impossible to have a "favorite" fiction

of yours. I thought I'd seen hilarious things in your fics already, but this one is so thoroughly, fantastically insane!

The entire dream sequence is wonderful! I love that

Hephaestion's so pragmatic even in the throes of acute morbid depression, finding the charm and perfection of ending his misery in the most ugly, disreputable, non-romantic places and ways possible! When he discovers the dagger and pseudo-Alexander reveals that he's the "real Alexander" the whirl of confusion is really great! I wanted to ask what Hephaestion was asking, what does this mean? how is this possible? and trying

to tie all the threads together into some logical, coherent thing, but of course some things are just to be accepted. Alexander - oy, using chamomile on his hair because Olympias said it would make it shine! Both of them are so endearing, Hephaestion suffering so morosely in the dream and Alexander not knowing quite how to go about getting what he wants. . .

The ending's so nice! It shows they were really both in

love (and lust), instead of the longing being unequal or one-sided as both of them thought it was. And it's a very happy ending, yay!
Tionsbabe chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
LOL! You had me going there for a minute. Steam was literally coming out my ears until the 'real' Alexander showed up. This was brilliant! As an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed 'A Conspiracy of Women' and not just for its portrayal of Hephaestion. It truly was quite funny, as was your story.

Brava!

Tionsbabe.
c.a.hoskins chapter 1 . 1/3/2006
Gods, that was hilarious! I thought I was going to piss my pants a couple times back there. Very nice twists indeed, and, at the same time, hot! In all your stories, you seem to play with a thousand elements at once. I have an extremely formidable respect for your work.
CoralDawn chapter 1 . 12/21/2005
Another awesome story from you - one of the most unusual on Alexander that I have read so far! You keep the mystery that it's a dream very well indeed - so it does turn out to be a surprise. And the time reversal is wonderful too!

A very unique story! Loved it! Please write more!

I have heard others praise Menen's book too - it's on my immediate wish-list.