Reviews for Crossing the Bar
KayleeG chapter 1 . 8/7/2006
You are such an amazing writer. I can't even put into words how great this story is. I can see everything...smell everything you put on the page. I can't wait to read more.
erynis chapter 19 . 8/7/2006
Let me just say; wow. Actually, I'm going to say it again. Wow. I was up until midnight last night reading all the chapters, it was so compelling. The historically accurate language (I love Anamaria's cussing), the beautifully descriptive narrative, the animated and vivacious characters, the expansive knowledge of nautical terminology, the humour; everything! Even the chapter names reveal another aspect of the story. I was gob-smacked and hooked right from the first sentence. How can a person could know so much in so much depth about that era; the pirating, the lingo, the society, the sailing: everything! I envy your talent and am awed by the story. Please update soon!
ellennar chapter 19 . 8/7/2006
Oh, I LIKE the doctor! Though please leave James a tongue even if I'm not best pleased with him right now...
Eruhin chapter 19 . 8/7/2006
Brilliantly portrayed Norrington "on his way down to obssession" in this chapter!

Commodore suffered a horrible night, and it seems like the images and sounds of the havoc he had wreaked on the Pearl will remain with him for some time yet. As well as those from the amputation that awaits him...

"As for Captain Sparrow, God only knew where he’d flown to. And Norrington had his doubts about that, though it was entirely possible the Devil would know." - Ah, James has some sense of humour left even in such a bleak night;) But, yeah, I know, it isn't funny for him at all. Perfect trap and what? That unwashed pirate captain still wriggles out of it. And the Commodore is not used to failures, I think.

I'm so glad Jip is back in the story, even for a little while! He's such a brave kid. It was so moving and sad when he didn't want to become a betrayer and go to "the deepest circle of hell". But Norrington's confusion at Jip's answer was funny;)

I enjoyed very much all the interactions between the Commodore and Samuels. The doctor is a great character. And I loved his last words:)

Some fav lines:

"There were times when Commodore Norrington’s rank and responsibilities pressed on his brow like a crown of thorns."

“Didn’t tell you a thing, did he?” Samuels was looking entirely too smug for a Royal Navy man. “Pluck to the backbone, that one.” :D

“You are a good man James Norrington, even though sometimes you lose your way in that labyrinth of gold braid.”

“And might I suggest Lieutenant Groves as well. The boy may not know him, but Groves appreciates his spirit and dotes most unprofessionally on that pirate captain of whom Jip is so fond.”

I'm looking forward to the next chapter (hopefully longer...)!
Meggie Dodge chapter 19 . 8/6/2006
Samuels speaks for me, too, saying,"I’m always happy when you cease trying to wriggle away from your humanity...". Pretty deep, this exploration of loyalty and honor, for a short chapter. Pretty deep, anyway. Special points for the "labyrinth of gold braid": that's one clever image, alright.
Shoofly chapter 19 . 8/6/2006
I started reading at this chapter. Best line: "Samuels smiled ruefully. 'You are a good man James Norrington, even though sometimes you lose your way in that labyrinth of gold braid.'" Just very true, and very cool.
1BabyBoy chapter 19 . 8/6/2006
Honorat - what wonderful discourse in Norrington's head and terrific dialog between Norrington and Samuels. I am dismayed at Jip's condition - was hoping for a miracle there. You always use language well and appropriately: "the look in the doctor's eyes...could have ignited wet canvas." Between Samuels and Groves perhaps Norrington one day soon will turn from his black-and-white sensibilities and see that there are many shades of gray, and be at peace with the enigma that is Jack Sparrow. One can only hope!
angelwingz21 chapter 19 . 8/6/2006
hey! omg, wonderful chapter...again. i hope you'll get the next chapter out soon! ok then...bye! _
Skystrike26 chapter 18 . 7/31/2006
Poor Jack! Are you going to scupper the Pearl for good? Where's Norry? Post again soon!
Isabella Raven chapter 18 . 7/30/2006
A well-written story so far, and quite captivating. Your characterization is excellent, your description of a crew fighting to save a masted ship in a gale against the odds incredible. I could almost feel I was there. And except that the weather's been fine for once, I would even have had the sountrack to accompany the story.

Aiee, and poor Jack. To have to do that to his beloved ship, to cripple her in order to save her and her crew in a desperate gamble like that. I hope he succeeds, as he usually does, pulling victory off by the seat of his pants despite the odds.

I look forward to seeing an update, and more of this story.

-Isabella Raven
Kumiko Eharu chapter 18 . 7/30/2006
I've been reading this for the past couple of days now and I must say that it is one of the best stories in this category that I have read in a long while. It's got feeling, and passion, and it reads like a story should. I feel for the characters, I can feel their pain. And the personification of The Black Pearl is astounding. The way you've written her makes her seem like a goddess on the sea, sailing for one man, fighting for one captain.

I can't wait to read the conclusion, and yet I find myself dreading it all at the same time. This is a great piece of work, keep it up!
CaptainTish chapter 18 . 7/30/2006
"...his mind was elsewhere, an admittedly familiar destination for it.." - love that!

Ah, some shades of Star Trek here, I detect, with Jack being able to hear that they fixed the pumps and then Hawkins all pleased with himself, "convinced he was a miracle worker." I like it.

"Jack claimed he’d been born in a storm at sea" -Aha, so you have read Jack's history!

Oh, I like the little Jack/Ana moment.

So, where is the Dauntless? Is that why they went into the storm, to lose the Dauntless?

Good updates!
CaptainTish chapter 17 . 7/30/2006
I love all the banter between Jack and Duncan? How old is Duncan, anyway? Which one is he? I have trouble matching the names to the faces of Jack's crew.

"Gibbs decided he’d never understand Jack Sparrow’s concept of the use of language. Communication clearly played no part in it." -heh heh

I really like this scheme they've came up with, even it is "bloody nodcok bacon-brained"!

By the way, have you read the history of the Black Pearl? It's on the official Dead Man's Chest website, very interesting stuff. There's some stuff on Wikipedia too, although I don't know how much you can believe on Wikipedia. But if it IS true, I think it might explain why those bayou people were so upset about Jack "dying" at the end of the movie.
vintena chapter 18 . 7/29/2006
WOW! Once again I am rendered speechless! Well, not quite, but I know my words of praise will be a pale reflection of what I truly feel. Your writing tastes like gourmet food in my mouth. Sheer pleasure! I must echo Boqumil, she has spotted for playback most of the parts that were especially exceptional. So in doing the same I would be repeating the obvious. Your writing makes me want to call my mother up and rave to her about you! In fact I think I just might do that right now! Hm I wonder what time it is in Guam right now?

Seriously! I am anxiously awaiting your next chapter. And when this is all over I think I just might go back and read it all over again! Just because your writing is so vivid and enjoyable! If I wasn't enjoying it so much I might have a thought to be jealous of your amazing skill as a writer! Please update soon!

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before, Your disclaimers are so entertaining! I wish I could see The Writers' faces when they read them!
Princess.Jack.N.Anamaria chapter 18 . 7/29/2006
You are BEAUTIFUL! Poor Jack. Poor Pearl! (tear) I was almost crying myself. Maybe I'm just a big baby. IDC! I loved that SO much! You HAVE to update! I ORDER you to update! (stops self) Uh...sorry. I can't be ordering people around like that, and since you're older than I am, that makes it even WORSE. But, you understand what I'm getting at! UPDATE ASAP!

Oh, and the bit where Jack went to Ana for comfort? Glorious, sweets. ~_

Luv Yo Fan,

*~jackNanamaria~*

P.S. You bloody genius, you! _ Happy sailing.
326 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 .. Last Next »