Reviews for Crossing the Bar
Meggie Dodge chapter 29 . 4/15/2012
Nice alternation of the whimsical (the [b]whole[/b] port battery?) and the desperate. My nails are well and truly down to the quick, now, waiting to see how it plays for the people and the ships.
Meggie Dodge chapter 27 . 4/15/2012
Drury Lane, indeed! I look forward to seeing what else the connection of Groves and Jip may produce.

How much is the pathetic fallacy mitigated by the character's awareness of it? Still, I needed that distraction from the histories Walton heard, affecting as they were.
Meggie Dodge chapter 26 . 4/15/2012
I'd been humming "The Golden Vanity" since Jip's knife went missing, so I specially relished the discovery of auger worms-good show!

Anamaria's acceptance of the gown, however, took me completely by surprise, despite your leaving so much textile around the cabin all this while. Aces!

This chapter, I particularly enjoyed the development of Requin and Jip as independent actors. The reprise of Jack's tactic with Murtogg and Mullroy didn't hurt at all, either, in establishing Jip as a true avatar of Jack's type.
CaptainThetaSigma chapter 29 . 9/7/2011
Me again :) just forgot to mention a few things...

I loved the funeral, it was very touching...

Jip is fantastic and funny, as well as sympethetic (but don't tell him I said that)

Keep writing, and I'll keep reading!
CaptainThetaSigma chapter 29 . 9/7/2011
This is amazing! Love the adventure, and you've written everyone perfectly in character. I love the Jack/Pearl paring, and I like how you've written from Norrington and Walton's perspectives as well as everyone elses. This is a breath of fresh air from all the romances and badly written adventures. PLEASE UPDATE!
Sailoramber chapter 29 . 8/27/2011
wee! i'm so glad your still writing this. and writing it as the characters are meant to be written. i can't wait to hear the end.
Jennifer Lynn Weston chapter 29 . 8/19/2011
A very fine lock-and-load sequence.

Absolutely *love* Gibbs' battle logic! And 'Sparrow's light touch as a pirate'. And Jack quoting the Bard.

They would find out the measure of the Black Pearl and whoever now captained her in the next few hours. And they would pay in blood for the knowledge.

Oooo, the tension's getting unbearable... then one miniature pirate turns it around! Yay, Jip!

Marty is certainly an enterprising bookie... even a suicidal one. :S

This is as good as anything you've ever written- which, believe me, is very high praise! Please don't take too long with the next chapter!
qwertyuiop678 chapter 29 . 8/18/2011
lol, somehow you managed to make it cheerful in parts when the plot is so... scary, almost. I look forward to the rest of it! *offers cookie*
angelwingz21 chapter 29 . 8/18/2011
I am so glad I never gave up on this story. This chapter had me on the edge of my seat, and now I can't wait to read what's about to happen.
Guest chapter 29 . 8/18/2011
Honorat! Once again, you rock the sailing world! From the first opening paragraphs your words had me by the throat and such a picture was there then in my mind! I still have no idea what most of that pertaining to sailing is all about but I don't need to know what it is you know, for the images are very clear. God bless Jip! First the sails, and then the cannon! That little byplay between Jack and Kursar and Duncan was both amusing and touching. And then Gibbs musing on gravity: well, I had to go look up when Newton first proposed his "laws," and find it was at the very time this tale is taking place. Gibbs must be a more educated man than we first thought, eh? LOL. I find myself fervently wishing that the Black Pearl may suddenly find her wings and fly away from the Dauntless. Is there some way Jack doesn't have to begin the engagement? By some miracle, can he actually see them tacking away and decide not to fire? I want a repeat of Jack doffing his hat and yelling once again "Thank you, Commodore, for getting us ready to make sail. We would have had a hard time of it ourselves!"
fizben08 chapter 29 . 8/18/2011
Oh my word, this chapter has left me breathless and with tears in my eyes for the Captains beautiful Pearl and amazing crew.

It's going to be really difficult to wait for the next chapter.

Such wonderful writing, thank you once again.
Pirate Trixi chapter 29 . 8/18/2011
I can't tell you how happy I am to see all these updates from you lately.

Fantastic new chapter as always, and I love Jip more than ever. :D

Can't wait to see what happens next!
RuKkA chapter 28 . 7/29/2011
This chapter so far has been my absolute favorite. You're such a great writer. I look forward to the next chapter.
Guest chapter 28 . 7/28/2011
Once again, Honorat, I am humbled to read your most excellent writing. Walton's moments of personal growth and reflection were wonderful, as was Jack's using it all as a "teachable moment" for Ana: empathy, indeed! Thanks too for giving me some more Mr. Gibbs. I can just see him shaking his leonine head after Ana slapped him! The single best part though was Jack asking Walton to remember and relate the names and stories of the BP's fallen. That was every bit as noble and poetic as the terrific Shakespearean quotes sprinkled throughout this chapter, and every bit as simple, yet profound as the profane sea shanties the men sang herein. Can't wait for the next chapter.
cosette-aimee chapter 28 . 7/28/2011
I'm so happy that you've decided to continue this story. It has such an interesting plot, and is so incredibly well written, that I've read it from start to finish several times over. I hope you finish it in the end, as I dearly want to know how the situation of pirates against the navy resolves itself.
326 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »