Reviews for Crossing the Bar
Laurelinde chapter 28 . 7/28/2011
So glad to see this continuing! Another excellent chapter, so many little moments, funny and touching and heartbreaking, adding more and more pieces to the puzzles that are your characters. Great to see Anamaria back on her feet and at her post again, especially in contrast with those moments below deck with Jack, tearful and hurting in the lamplight. Just such a pleasure to read.

And here comes Norrington again! It is a credit to your writing that while of course my main interest is in seeing the Pearl escape unscathed, I am intrigued to see what the navy will manage, and how things will go with their side too.
Jennifer Lynn Weston chapter 28 . 7/27/2011
' ...like the voice of God in a very bad mood...'

I do love your way with a phrase.

'Gibbs reflected grumpily that Jack was never where you wanted him—he was either too far away or too close.'

Oh yes.

'It was the height of irony for a captain in the king's Royal Navy to pray for a pirate ship to escape a British war ship, but Alexander Walton did.'

In his own way, Captain Walton is as unusual as Jack Sparrow. Of course I hope he makes it through the upcoming conflict.

Great job on another wonderful chapter!
Pencil37 chapter 28 . 7/27/2011
I love this, especially the earlier chapters about trying to sail through the storm! Update soon!
qwertyuiop678 chapter 28 . 7/27/2011
i get a little depressed every time i read it, but it's a good story nonetheless! good job, on the edge of my chair for more!
1BabyBoy chapter 27 . 7/18/2011
Honorat, I both laughed and cried mightily reading and re-reading this chapter. God bless Theodore Groves for showing such kindness to Jip both before and during his flogging. Jip sure learned fast but it is as Samuels noted: he learned what he can and cannot do once again even in the face of such certain punishment. It was good to see both Gibbs and Marty again. I could feel everyone's pain over the loss of their fellows, and see Jack's smile over the recovery of the cat. Seeing the services for the dead through Walton's eyes was an inspired choice. And Jack helping Asfar observe the proper rituals for Haroun is just one more example of why it is Jack's men would follow him anywhere and do anything for him. Bravo! And, finally, such a cliffhanger: please, please, please quickly post the next chapter!
1BabyBoy chapter 26 . 7/18/2011
Honorat, you slay me, you really do. Your human characterizations are every bit as finely drawn as those of your ships: the Defender's Capt. Walton is a case in point. Requin's coming of age is another. I should have said this in my review of your last chapter. I have so many positive comments that I had to write a rough draft before posting this! I got such a clear, wonderful picture of the BP once again rising from the sea to be "a queen among vessels." I chuckled over the all the Jack/Anamaria byplay: Anamaria's slap becoming a caress and Jack quoting poetry were particularly lovely. And the very idea of those "muttonheads" Murtogg and Mullroy guarding anyone, much less Jip, had me roaring. Jack must have told Jip how he once scooted past those two in Port Royal. Jip setting them up in that card game was too funny. I also like Gil Samuels' growing affection for Jip and can imagine perhaps Jip even being apprenticed by Jack to learn medical skills. The contrast between Samuels and the Defender's surgeon was brilliant: the first ignores all rank and circumstance when his medical instincts are engaged, and the second would forfeit his own life rather than treat "gallow's bait." Guess the Defender's surgeon never had to take the Hippocratic oath! It makes me hope that somehow - under a flag of truce of course - Samuels can meet up with the BP and treat all of Jack's crew. Kudos to Jack for his extreme forbearance there. Poor Jip to be punished with 24 lashes. I was horrified thinking surely that would kill him but then you tell us that there was such a thing as a boy's cat-of-nines. (Never knew that device came in more than one size.) Still, I hope Norrie will somehow stay that punishment. And finally, Jack gets put to bed. How many hours had he been awake? All the work through all that exhaustion and pain. This chapter doesn't mention Mr. Gibbs at all and so I have to ask where was he during all of this? I seem to recall that he was injured but if Jack and Anamaria can get around? Looking forward to reading the next chapter. Please keep them coming!
tndigger chapter 27 . 7/18/2011
Oh no, please let Jack and the Pearl outsmart Norrington; dead in the water, a cliffhanger!
Laurelinde chapter 27 . 7/17/2011
Just beautiful. It's sad though, I feel like I have done the men a disservice, because it's been so long since I read the first chapters that the names didn't mean as much as they should... well, I shall have to put that right when I reread the lot.

I really could read about your Jack forever. He is a wonderful, wonderful man... everything you could want Jack Sparrow to be. The line of his that Jip gives about courage is genius.

Thank you again!
Jennifer Lynn Weston chapter 27 . 7/17/2011
'For the first time, Walton thought how these words might have been written for men such as these, outlaws, condemned and outcast, at home nowhere but the sea, and if so, perhaps the mercy might be for such as these, as well.'

I was thinking *exactly* the same thing. It's rather believable that Sparrow would know the burial rituals of different religions.

'But the tables were about to turn.'

On whom, I wonder...?
Random Reader chapter 14 . 7/17/2011
Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous! I nearly melted into a puddle on the floor! 3
Pirate Trixi chapter 27 . 7/17/2011
Squeeeeee!

LOVED it, as always. Wonderful descriptions of the characters on both sides. Groves cheering Jip up cheered me a good deal up too. The way you let Walton see the dead men on the Pearl was simply heartwrenching, as was the funeral.

Can't wait to see what happens when Norrington catches up with the others. I so much want all these wonderful characters get as happy endings as they possibly can, but I don't want this fic to end! *Sighs*. But I would be very happy to see Jip reunited with his captain and ship again, or at least for them to learn that he's still alive.

And you gave us his full name! :D
Pirate Trixi chapter 26 . 7/13/2011
Just wanted to say that I don't think I've ever been happier to see that a story had updated. Will be back to leave more comments when I have time. SO glad you haven't abandoned this story! Can we hope for more chapters in the near future?
qwertzuiop4 chapter 26 . 7/11/2011
Five minutes ago I decided to look at your profile, and you had FINALLY (!) updated!

(But I'll have to read some of the earlier chapters again before being able to write a sensible review.)
Random Reader chapter 7 . 7/7/2011
Oh my gosh! I love it!
angelwingz21 chapter 26 . 7/5/2011
I am so happy that you have decided to update this story once again! It is absolutely one of my favorite fanfictions, and this chapter was just wonderful. I wonder when Commodore Norrington catches up with the Pearl...or will he?
326 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »