Reviews for The Downstairs Tenant
thehoodedsweatshirt chapter 1 . 8/14/2014
Having just reread the entire Russell series, I have been anxious to to sink my teeth into more stories from the Russellverse. You do a superb job painting a picture of an older maternal Russell, but still very much keeping with the Russell of King's stories. I hope to read more from you on the musings of the Russell-Holmes clan.

Cheers,
THSS
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
I always enjoy the chance to see familiar characters through others’ eyes, and this is a very neat and appealing chance to do exactly that.

Russell is perfectly in character, but it’s interesting to see elements of that character in different ways: for instance you show very well how she can be more than a bit intimidating to anyone who’s paying attention. It’s also nice to see the kindness of strangers touch on the edge of the ‘normality’ of the Holmes-Russell household, and the view that Tovey gets from that angle is one worth having.

Thanks for the read.
peyton chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
Well, this was quite fantastic. Not what I was expecting at all and lovely portrayals of both King's characters and your own creations. Simply delightful!
deaka chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
Great story - really liked the POV character with his ongoing writer's block problems (nice nod to Holme's 'death' with the cliff in Switerland, also), and Russell was perfectly in character.
Unseen Watcher chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
A good character and interesting POV. Very nice.
MoonlitPuddle chapter 1 . 5/21/2007
Velly goot! Holmes didnt appear here much, but i spose that was neccesary to the plot. Mae carnen!
westwingnut221 chapter 1 . 5/10/2007
What a fascinating point of view! I thoroughly enjoyed this new twist on my old favorites of Holmes and Russell. Well done!
catwithabook chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
One of the best I've read.
SecondSilk chapter 1 . 6/5/2006
This is very good.

It moves on from what we know of canon well. And Tovey is an interesting character.

I loved the way we just got the effects of the case, rather than the case itself.

Jonathon is very cute.
pucktofaerie chapter 1 . 2/9/2006
how very interesting. I've only just gotton started on the Mary Russell series, so some of this is a little strange...but I liked it. Keep up the great work!
HarlequinTeaSet chapter 1 . 2/6/2006
I love the story, and it all seems very realistic, but "Jonathan"? Somehow I don't think Russell would consent to name her son something so. . . ordinary. Great job on characterization though.
R.J. Anderson chapter 1 . 12/31/2005
ZOMG WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS FIC EXISTED? Now I am going to be Very Put Out, because it's wonderful. I love your Russell (because she *is* Russell) and I adore Jonathan, which is not something I can say of most Russellspawn (who usually suffer from being tooth-rottingly adorable, but in this case solemnity and an unusually subtle sense of humour go a long way).

Oh, no, and now you've gone and given me a plot bunny that has nothing to do with Russell.

*skulks off*
Kerowyn chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
That was awesome. And by awesome, I mean totally sweet.

Your portraits of all the tenants was spot on. Very Austen indeed.

The only criticism I could think of is that it's not immediately clear that it's not Russell who is talking. Of course, that matters not at all outside of this category, since no one else is going to assume that a first person narrator is Russell.
KnightbyDay chapter 1 . 11/28/2005
This story was great. I hope you keep writing.
violet lily13 chapter 1 . 11/27/2005
Fantastic story! I love the fact that it's written from the point of view of someone else. Once again you've got Holmes and Russell's characters down perfectly, and Jonathan is the best offspring I've seen in fanon. )