Reviews for Walking the Line
lycan13 chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
Nowadyas anything fun costs at least ten dollars now.
mkeeg91 chapter 19 . 7/19/2013
this was surprisingly awesome. i had some doubts at first, but it really came through as a great piece of literature :)

great work!
Kaimialana chapter 1 . 6/26/2013
This is a joint...eh, "review" (should I call it that?) of Walking the Line and On a Short Leash. The other sequels aren't included for reasons I'll address near the end.

So, premise: Two people who are stressed out with their high-action. One, a Supercop who uses extreme force on the job. The other, a Teen world-saving genius who could do without all the pressure to make a decision about her future. One morning, the younger shows up hurt in a cardboard box on the older's doorstep. Teenhero feints idocy and somehow Supercop finds that both annoying and cute. She offers a living arrangement where the one is the other's pet, and Teenhero oddly accepts. What results is a slice of life sequence of mutually beneficial situations where the characters release their stress in affectionate, non-sexual roleplay. This relationship ends at the close of Act 1, and reboots in Act 2, with the promise that it continues on.

Notice: I don't care all that much that this is specifically a Kigo story. I don't even care to use actual names in this piece. Background information aside, this is AU and knowledge of cannon doesn't end up being that important to the end value. What draws me are universal themes and how they relate humanity to characters and their interactions. And the center of this story are the "normal" everyday interactions between a woman and her pet human, which the author manages to play straight and not collapse into sitcom.

Which somehow ends up endearing. Okay, okay, there's drama, yes. Episodic drama is the broth of slice of life soup. But the meat and veggies are the quiet moments where little things are appreciated. This pet/master relationship is a weird thing to most people, it causes trouble, but for the two women coming home is an escape to another life. Teenhero is an obsessive do-gooder and adventurer, always in control and always saving people, and stuck in a dilemma of 'what comes next'. But being a pet allows her to release control, simplify, and focus on making just one person happy. Supercop is a workaholic all-action-all-the-time crabby-ass nearly-a-recluse who gets paid to follow orders. But being a good master to her pet gives her control, intimacy, and companionship without the unnecessary stress of traditional relationships.

Unfortunately, things do go the path of romance, and I really shouldn't be disappointed because it was inevitable. Slash fic isn't exactly known for ending in platonic contentment. Even then, it doesn't destroy the master/pet relationship, so I guess it's forgivable. We're left with a sign of a permanent fulfilling relationship between two people focused on mutual empathy, and that's really more than you'd see in most situations. It even would have been acceptable to end it with Walking the Line, because, look, relationships don't have to last forever to be good. People spend time together, grow their character, get new perspective, and move on. Sure it's a /little/ sad, but that's life, full of myriad 'mono no aware', small ephemeral appreciations of joy and subtle sadness. We can appreciate the time they spent together even if it wasn't 'forever'. Let me say it again: it's not necessary for worthwhile relationships to be life long. The first set can stand on its own. Teen hero finds a solution to her dillemma, Supercop finds another companion, and they both turn out fine. It could have ended that way, obviously it didn't, but it /could have/. But I digress.

Now, for the controversial part. The thing that was unnecessary were the 2 extra sequels. Yes, I read them. And not only did they not /add/ to the nearly 'iyashikei' story as it was, they destroyed the great dynamic that was at the heart of the thing. Without the master/pet relationship, it was no longer slice of life but pure romance. The final part in particular was probably written as a fan pleaser, for those people who had some completionist fantasy of "first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage'. I don't want to know about the kids, I don't care about regular teenage dramatic romance. The epilogue at the end of part three would have sufficed, if that. There's plenty of regular romance out there for people who want to read that oh so cliche heteronormalizing family story. So let's just forget the extended cut.

As for the rest...I mentioned 'iyashikei', which translates roughly to 'healing'. There's something about observing the commonplace interactions of people which is calming. With the right angles, seemingly boring and ordinary moments can be relaxing. Something that would be saccharine in other contexts is quietly silly or cute. It's this un-forced perspective that the two women in this story do so well, even with the intervening drama. We live vicariously through their relationship, releasing our stress as they release theirs. It's shared experience, and that's always a symptom of humanity.
Darth Luffy chapter 15 . 6/25/2013
Watching Drakken and Shego interact makes me want to pounc me head in :(

But watching Kim and Shego interact gives me ideas ranging from funny to cute to erotic to stupid... and Kim's right, divinv off very high place is fun
Darth Luffy chapter 7 . 6/24/2013
This series is perfect bedtime reading, it's light hearted, fluffy, and still funny even when I know what will happen, sometimes it's funnier because I know what happens later on, like knowing how Betty is way later on compared to how she is now

I also had a thought, I wonder how many times Kim has gotten requests to be an escort on her site, she can do 'anything' after all... I thougt I was being original too for all of 5 seconds till I realized that there are probably a hundred fics that use that same premise already
Concolor44 chapter 19 . 6/7/2013
What do I think of the story? Well ...

1 - It was INTENSELY captivating.
2 - It is now almost 0230 hours because I couldn't stop reading.
3 - You handle grammar well, for the most part, and I appreciate it deeply.
4 - Although the story is, as you put it in such droll terms, "AU like a mug" (love your terminology), you've managed to preserve the essential traits, flaws, and idiosyncrasies of the characters, and THAT, my friend, is goin' some.
5 - When I realized I was almost at the end of the story and their relationship was TERMINATING, I nearly panicked. How, I wondered, could you do this to your poor readers? Oh, the humanity! But then I saw that word, that wonderful, blessed, oh-so-welcome word: "Continued". Huzzah!

Yes, I will be CONTINUING this story, because it's a moral imperative and I have no other reasonable option. What, you want me to fret myself into a stupor? Please. I'm no fool...

... well, except maybe for the staying up until ridiculous hours, engrossed in a great, heaping pile of lovely words ... words the taste of which I cannot get enough. That might be considered foolish. By some.

This goes into Favorites. It SOOO does. But I can't start "On a Short Leash" yet. I'm so tired I can barely focus my eyes well enough to type, and I am wearing OUT that backspace key.

'night. And THANK YOU.
Darth Luffy chapter 19 . 6/3/2013
When I first started reading this I thought it was a bit funny and kinda twisted, afterall if Kim was just some orpahned, dumb, street kid it wouldn't be very funny... that changed as soon as Wade called and it became obvious that Kim Possible, the girl who can do anything, was now Shego's pet, loved the story and found it to be one of the funnier pieces I've read, the image of Kim cuddling up next to Shego, waking up and running away from Shego's now flaming hands, and then diving and hiding under a cardboard box is going be stuck in my head for a while and since it's hilarious that works out fine
Concolor44 chapter 10 . 5/22/2013
I am having the best time reading this story! Although it is, as you so pithily put it, "AU like a mug", and although I don't typically ENJOY AU-type stories because it is usually done in order to violate the characters in some fashion ... this one is enchanting. How you have managed to let Kim be Kim even in what may be the weirdest circumstance she's ever seen is a real wonder. Shego's not as difficult (she's not as complex, let's face it) so seeing her as a Special Forces cop isn't that big a stretch.

Anyway, thanks! I'll post additional comments as they occur to me.
Concolor44 chapter 6 . 5/17/2013
This is ... the ... fourth? Yeah, probably fourth time I have STARTED this story, and this is the farthest I've gotten to date. Something always derails me. This time, though, I'm bookmarking it. Because NOW you have introduced some extremely compelling plot complications that I'd never seen before, and now you have REALLY grabbed my interest.

(Side note: the past tense of the verb "lead" is "led". The noun "lead", as in the dull, gray, poisonous metallic element that is denser than gold, has nothing to do with "leading" or having "led" in the sense of getting someone or something to follow you around.)

I've got to assume that either A] there is some sort of inter-dimensional exchange going on, or B] one of Drakken's inventions mind-wiped a bunch of people, or C] ... I have no freaking clue and can't wait to see how this pans out.
Earu chapter 19 . 3/9/2013
Great story, looks like you've integrated some stuff from Kimi Wa Petto greatly with KP characters, a well done relationship up the good work :)
Hewhoislost chapter 19 . 1/23/2013
Man I love these universe you craft. I mean just wow.
Guest chapter 19 . 1/12/2013
Another fantastic story! I've read all of your pariah stories, and am really glad you wrote this A/U as well. Can't sing enough praise, but I hope you never stop writing
Crazy Brit 1987 chapter 2 . 11/11/2012
nice to see Shego trying to drive Kim crazy
Crazy Brit 1987 chapter 1 . 11/11/2012
good start i think this might turn out better than the vampire Kim series
Zuli chapter 2 . 10/13/2012
Well, hello there SL! God, I remember reading this ages ago. How I've missed it! This is one of my absolute favorite universes ever and it feels good to be back :D
365 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »