Reviews for Walking the Line
Guest chapter 19 . 5/2/2014
Very interesting concept! I like it :)
ShadowDancer01 chapter 19 . 4/1/2014
A great story that starts on of my favorite series. Very AU but still seems to capture the characters well. This is the story that got me to try Tramps Like Us.
shamanic demonator chapter 19 . 2/14/2014
Awesome story as always :)
atalanta black chapter 14 . 1/22/2014
Ah, I love Isabel. I've seen a few versions of Shego' s mom, but I think Isabel is the best. I hate Jason though. Team Kane forever! Jason's a jerk, but I haven't read this story very recently so maybe he wasn't as bad in this as he was in Something's Got to Give. Still, f Edward, Jacob, and every other popular male. Team Kane all the way. Please pardon the rambling, it's too late to be reading and my eyes are halfway closed but I'm no stranger to all-nighters when your stories are concerned. Who cares about school tomorrow? I can live off KiGo, painkillers for my broken arm, caffeine, and Kane being a little, lovable perv.
Shikimo chapter 19 . 12/26/2013
Great story!
2013 chapter 1 . 12/26/2013
I haven't read yet but holysht! 2005! Wow. Imma read the story now I'll review at the end ;]
kim fan chapter 19 . 11/14/2013
it was awesome!
Nink chapter 3 . 9/6/2013
Is it bad that I've read this story so many times, that I actually notice the few new sentences you threw in? xD
lycan13 chapter 11 . 8/28/2013
This should be interesting.
lycan13 chapter 10 . 8/28/2013
well it's about time
lycan13 chapter 3 . 8/25/2013
Nowadyas anything fun costs at least ten dollars now.
mkeeg91 chapter 19 . 7/19/2013
this was surprisingly awesome. i had some doubts at first, but it really came through as a great piece of literature :)

great work!
Kaimialana chapter 1 . 6/26/2013
This is a joint...eh, "review" (should I call it that?) of Walking the Line and On a Short Leash. The other sequels aren't included for reasons I'll address near the end.

So, premise: Two people who are stressed out with their high-action. One, a Supercop who uses extreme force on the job. The other, a Teen world-saving genius who could do without all the pressure to make a decision about her future. One morning, the younger shows up hurt in a cardboard box on the older's doorstep. Teenhero feints idocy and somehow Supercop finds that both annoying and cute. She offers a living arrangement where the one is the other's pet, and Teenhero oddly accepts. What results is a slice of life sequence of mutually beneficial situations where the characters release their stress in affectionate, non-sexual roleplay. This relationship ends at the close of Act 1, and reboots in Act 2, with the promise that it continues on.

Notice: I don't care all that much that this is specifically a Kigo story. I don't even care to use actual names in this piece. Background information aside, this is AU and knowledge of cannon doesn't end up being that important to the end value. What draws me are universal themes and how they relate humanity to characters and their interactions. And the center of this story are the "normal" everyday interactions between a woman and her pet human, which the author manages to play straight and not collapse into sitcom.

Which somehow ends up endearing. Okay, okay, there's drama, yes. Episodic drama is the broth of slice of life soup. But the meat and veggies are the quiet moments where little things are appreciated. This pet/master relationship is a weird thing to most people, it causes trouble, but for the two women coming home is an escape to another life. Teenhero is an obsessive do-gooder and adventurer, always in control and always saving people, and stuck in a dilemma of 'what comes next'. But being a pet allows her to release control, simplify, and focus on making just one person happy. Supercop is a workaholic all-action-all-the-time crabby-ass nearly-a-recluse who gets paid to follow orders. But being a good master to her pet gives her control, intimacy, and companionship without the unnecessary stress of traditional relationships.

Unfortunately, things do go the path of romance, and I really shouldn't be disappointed because it was inevitable. Slash fic isn't exactly known for ending in platonic contentment. Even then, it doesn't destroy the master/pet relationship, so I guess it's forgivable. We're left with a sign of a permanent fulfilling relationship between two people focused on mutual empathy, and that's really more than you'd see in most situations. It even would have been acceptable to end it with Walking the Line, because, look, relationships don't have to last forever to be good. People spend time together, grow their character, get new perspective, and move on. Sure it's a /little/ sad, but that's life, full of myriad 'mono no aware', small ephemeral appreciations of joy and subtle sadness. We can appreciate the time they spent together even if it wasn't 'forever'. Let me say it again: it's not necessary for worthwhile relationships to be life long. The first set can stand on its own. Teen hero finds a solution to her dillemma, Supercop finds another companion, and they both turn out fine. It could have ended that way, obviously it didn't, but it /could have/. But I digress.

Now, for the controversial part. The thing that was unnecessary were the 2 extra sequels. Yes, I read them. And not only did they not /add/ to the nearly 'iyashikei' story as it was, they destroyed the great dynamic that was at the heart of the thing. Without the master/pet relationship, it was no longer slice of life but pure romance. The final part in particular was probably written as a fan pleaser, for those people who had some completionist fantasy of "first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage'. I don't want to know about the kids, I don't care about regular teenage dramatic romance. The epilogue at the end of part three would have sufficed, if that. There's plenty of regular romance out there for people who want to read that oh so cliche heteronormalizing family story. So let's just forget the extended cut.

As for the rest...I mentioned 'iyashikei', which translates roughly to 'healing'. There's something about observing the commonplace interactions of people which is calming. With the right angles, seemingly boring and ordinary moments can be relaxing. Something that would be saccharine in other contexts is quietly silly or cute. It's this un-forced perspective that the two women in this story do so well, even with the intervening drama. We live vicariously through their relationship, releasing our stress as they release theirs. It's shared experience, and that's always a symptom of humanity.
Darth Luffy chapter 15 . 6/25/2013
Watching Drakken and Shego interact makes me want to pounc me head in :(

But watching Kim and Shego interact gives me ideas ranging from funny to cute to erotic to stupid... and Kim's right, divinv off very high place is fun
Darth Luffy chapter 7 . 6/24/2013
This series is perfect bedtime reading, it's light hearted, fluffy, and still funny even when I know what will happen, sometimes it's funnier because I know what happens later on, like knowing how Betty is way later on compared to how she is now

I also had a thought, I wonder how many times Kim has gotten requests to be an escort on her site, she can do 'anything' after all... I thougt I was being original too for all of 5 seconds till I realized that there are probably a hundred fics that use that same premise already
375 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »