Reviews for The Guardian in Spite of Herself
zeonista13 chapter 5 . 5/17/2013
Yukiko and Seichi getting into character was fun. Seichi's choice of cover persona seems to have already gotten old, and it's only day 1... Yukiko has all the luck, another of Konoha's version of Delta Force members think she's attractive and interesting! :D
zeonista13 chapter 4 . 5/17/2013
Kishimoto did not get too into Akatsuki's recruitment times. It's implied that Madara-Tobi & Pain recruited them as they became available and a meet could be scheduled. (It couldn't have been easy, since S-class nukenin would be difficult to locate!) At your time in the story Itachi is due to be recruited, since Madara-Tobi has more or less roped him in already. Orochimaru would still be a member, although he would probably leave in a year or two.

Eiji has the sort of dangerous idealism that would let him become an Akatsuki supporter, or at least a catspaw. At a second reading his motives were clear, and yes Pain would want to talk to him. He's not a bad person, but Eiji is dangerous to the status quo, and unless he is tougher and luckier than you have let on, he will not live long.

Naruto gets started on that "orders schmorders" attitude early, dragging Sasuke off on a Big Adventure. Yeah, Yukiko is going to rue the here we were pleased that he was paying attention to her requests and doing well in school. :)
zeonista13 chapter 3 . 5/17/2013
Your portrayal of Konoha's operations schedule being disrupted by Itachi's action was real enough. SNAFU city, yeah. :) Naga is now cool enough to go on missions with Kakashi, awesome. She would have to do her best to recover, because time and super-jounin wait for no one. Kurenai and Yukiko would get along of course, even if Kurenai was a combat genjutsu user and Yukiko was a spy. Seichi was enigmatic of course; his level of operators don't show their real selves a lot. I liked his fortune-telling quirk too; most Japanese accept divination of any kind with a level of belief that would be regarded as naive or unseemly in the USA.
zeonista13 chapter 2 . 5/17/2013
Naga earned a level in badass by breaking Tsukiyomi. Your reasons fro making it so were noted, but it was still awesome. I accepted it because Naga had the aggressive personality to overcome the genjutsu rather than get swept up in it. Genjutsu is a test of perception and willpower, so I figured Naga if caught short on the first, would do well in the second. Sasuke being an emo porcupine brat was predictable, and Yukiko handled him well enough. I liked Yukiko immediately realizing what the crow over the hospital meant. I also liked Yukiko being there at the debrief to cover a canon plot hole. I never thought of it, either. :P Even if Fugaku wanted a coup, he would have made sure that undependable Uchiha clansmen were out of town, and if they were on missions, he couldn't recall them without tipping his hand. Itachi could have known about them though... I think you might have invented a new fanon for "overlooked Uchiha survivor" trope. :)
zeonista13 chapter 1 . 5/17/2013
Woot, way to get the sequel started! Yukiko gets Sasuke thrust on her and Naga's team spirit gets her forced into a showdown with Itachi the Cute and Terrible. This is a true AU, since Sandaime now knows Yukiko was a trustworthy guardian, so naturally he expects her to do it again. And thus it was proved again that virtue is its own (and only) reward. :) It's a BIG departure from canon, but I could deal with it. After all, letting Sasuke live by himself would result in canon Sasuke, that horrid obsessed brat. Changing the setup could only improve him!

Yukiko being herself, we got more of a look at the needs of managing an orphan that Kishimoto skipped over because he only got 40 pages a month or so to tell his story. (And because Danzo probably got his mitts all over the paperwork, since the benign neglect of Sasuke seemed a little too pat at times.) Having Midori the foster mom from hell re-appear to plague Sasuke was funny. Tsukime was an interesting OC Uchiha, being a blondie and not having a quarterstaff shoved up her ass. Which might explain why she was out doing missions in BFE with "snake-slut" instead of doing easy work around Konoha. ;)
Sethera chapter 15 . 5/9/2013
Wow, awesome! I really like it so far! :D
MagicTrix17 chapter 15 . 4/21/2013
Update soon, can't wait to read more and slightly worried since it's been nearly a year...
gothamgirl85 chapter 12 . 4/4/2013
Sasuke's characterization is spot on; that kid soooo needs to be yelled at (and he needs to listen) or slap him or something to wake him up to the danger he's putting no only himself into but everyone else. He always was a selfish kid when it came to the things he thinks are important for him alone. Seichi is a very interesting character and is getting to be more so be each chapter. He doesn't seem surprised or even mad his assassination mission has been somewhat compromised by these two little kids. Finally its very interesting that Akaro is possibly still alive as well! Hope you can update soon.

Gotham_Girl85
gothamgirl85 chapter 11 . 4/4/2013
I shouldn't like Genji so much, but I do. It's kind of one of those situations where both sides (Genji/Eiji and the Leaf nin. Not Cloud, they are looking pretty darn bad all around) are right, its just opposite of what the other believes in or has to do. I'll be super sad to see what happens to Genji and his family. Sasuke and Naruto got off super light, punishment wise. I don't think they get how lucky they are in that respect or how much disrespect they've shown Yukiko with their actions. Hopefully they will see and fully understand their bad decisions soon. I also hope this doesn't also get Yukiko in trouble later when its reported on the mission reports.
gothamgirl85 chapter 6 . 4/3/2013
I don't know what to think of Seichi; is he being sometimes genuine with his fake persona? Does that even make sense? haha Also Naruto and Sasuke are going to be in deep sh%*, aren't they? I hope Yukiko gives them hell if this turns out bad on her.
gothamgirl85 chapter 5 . 4/3/2013
Great chapter! Loved Yukiko's note to Naruto before she left, made me laugh. One little mistake when Yukiko is wondering what cover Seichi is going to use that he would have a hard time covering the ice in his eyes, but it was accidentally put as theice together.
gothamgirl85 chapter 4 . 4/3/2013
I like Eiji, even if technically he's a bad guy. He's just so humanized with his nice little family and ninja friend that he wants to make better! I really like how you make well developed OC's. Even in a short amount of time they work really well.
gothamgirl85 chapter 2 . 4/3/2013
Glad to see Tsukime actually lived, didn't expect that. Sasuke is scary as usual and also as unapproachable and completely ungrateful as usual too. Only criticism is I think at the end of the chapter when Naga asked if Sasuke's in the same building as Yukiko and the 'other' brat, it has utter instead.
gothamgirl85 chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
Yay sequel! I couldn't wait to start it, so here I am staying up late, reading fanfiction. You know how it is. D Great start. I'm surprised Yukiko didn't think of the Uchihia boy she fought against during her chunnin exam when she heard about the massacre? Also oh no, I hope Naga's not dead! That would suck, majorly. I did like the mention of Kafunnokaze and that he and Naga still have a 'thing' going on.
Elivira chapter 3 . 2/27/2013
*Blink Blink Blink* WHAT?! Akatsuki?!
595 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »