Reviews for The Last Honourable Man
TOSoldtimer chapter 12 . 10/21/2014
This story is really great! Despite the modern setting, everyone is in character except perhaps Karou and Katsura. Kenshin is very much as he would have become had he remained a hitokiri. Saitou is awesome.

Perhaps if you watch the new movies, you will be inspired to come back and finish. I'm wondering if Hiko survives the ougi! Please update, and thanks for a very good read.
Raiukage chapter 12 . 7/30/2012
Just found this today, and I'm rather curious if you're planning on continuing it! It's a very interesting plot, and you've done an excellent job at keeping everyone as IC as possible in a modern AU. I'd love to see more.
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 12 . 1/31/2012
I've been revisiting this fandom after a very long break (about seven years or so), looking for all the good fics I remembered from my youth and more. I was purposely avoiding modern day Battousai and Kaoru stories, because I remembered them to be mostly cliche and out of character. But I gave your writing a try - namely, I read 'Caged' and 'The Morning After' first - and was hooked instantly.

There are three things I loved the most about this fic.

First, your writing style. It's incredibly good. The whole story is captivating. You use just enough words - and the right words, too - to describe everything.

Secondly, this fic has something that I would call brilliant atmosphere. I was really /drawn/ into the middle of the dark world you created. It is a world I won't be able to forget any time soon.

Thirdly, I loved your portrayal of the main characters and villains. Saito as a bitter cop with a personal vendetta against the Yakuza made my day, and so did Sano the loyal street thug. Hiko as a drunk living in a rundown dojo was great, and your portrayal of Kenshin was just stunning, breathtaking. I loved how you defined all your characters by their actions, instead of dwelling endlessly on their emotions. I mean, you mention the birthday party a few times, somewhere between the lines, and it's obvious that that event had a tremendous impact on Kenshin, but you don't treat your readers to an unnecessary angst feast with Kenshin going on about how much he loathes himself and such.

Well, anyway. That was a beautiful read. The fact that your story will probably never be updated, saddens me greatly. I hope you can prove me wrong - and continue.
pterion chapter 12 . 2/20/2011
More please! ;)
kakita101 chapter 12 . 1/31/2011
Very good. I cannot wait till you update again.
Seerss chapter 12 . 1/18/2011
Holy crap, I never thought that I'd be happy to get into a story five years after it began, but you've surprised me. This story rocks, hands down and unmercifully. Great job, and I really hope that the next chapter will come out soon. Your feaux-cliffies are as evil as they are awesome.
skenshingumi chapter 12 . 1/3/2011
Ninja, Saito on the prowl, Hiko at least semi-sober and Kaoru gets to show Kenshin that he can be seen as something besides his use as a sword (no pun intended): what more could one want. It is good to see this story updated once again. I must admit though, I have a hard time envisioning a classic happy ending for this story but I do love how within the context of this brutal world, you give the characters dignity and depth that is an interesting reflection of the originals. I hope you keep writing. The fact that you've posted after so long is encouraging.
pterion chapter 12 . 12/28/2010
This is awesome! Please update soon!
pterion chapter 1 . 12/28/2010
Wow...this is new...very interesting!
adamjb chapter 12 . 12/19/2010
Noooooo! I must have more! Great story, can't wait to see what happens next. Only one thing-what happened to Kenshin's shoulder? You seem to have forgotten about it. Also, much of the plot and character's choices seem unbelievable, but whatever magic you have worked into this story have allowed me to get over these small gripes and have kept me reading. Reward to the next update. Keep up the good work!
The Wandering Pen chapter 12 . 12/17/2010
Yay, you're back! And so well, too!

I love, love, love the way you portray the relationship between Hiko and Kenshin and the blooming romance between Kenshin and Kaoru - while inevitable - it done with thoughtful tenderness. Keep up the great work! :)

Pen
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 12 . 12/17/2010
Good to see you back!

And to see that the Kaoru/Battousai budding romance element of the story is still there.

Hiko was a lot of fun as well. Had to laugh over the ice water dousing he gave Kenshin.
Gabi1994 chapter 12 . 12/15/2010
O_o you're not dead! this story was picked back up again! I can die happy now. I absolutely love the premise for this peice. thanks so much for a great chapter.
crimson-sage chapter 12 . 12/15/2010
Gosh, I remember reading this some time ago, and being sad that it seemed to be abandoned. I was so happy when I saw the update! Can't wait to see the next chapter :)
J Luc Pitard chapter 12 . 12/13/2010
Years between updates gives the readers a good excuse to re-read the entire story and then wait with puppy eyes for the next installment.

Poor Katsura, but he's getting the fruits of his own labor so I won't cry for him. His absence speaks more profoundly in this chapter because of how firmly he was holding to his shred of sanity the last time we saw him.

Kaoru's going soft on her enemy and I like how she wants to be strong and assure him she can take care of herself but... she'd be a fool and our girl's no fool. Nicely written scene between them.

Hiko... I wonder how that will go for him. A Kenshin who most assuredly hasn't taken the vow of not killing, how will he handle the succession? I look forward to that and the whole way that Soujiro versus Kenshin issue will resolve.