Reviews for Second Choices, Second Chances
Reklar chapter 21 . 5/31/2006
Another good chapter, particularly the exchanges between Merena and Danis, and Danis' perspective of the opening of the rescue operation. He's a likeable fellow and I can see why he admires Merena, and in return, is admired by Anomen and company. Kudos for another good characterization, Finduilas.

I do have a couple of questions or concerns, depending upon on one's opinion. First, how is it that the group so well organized during the ambush on the caravan is now so undisciplined and amatuerish defending their camp? Is it merely overconfidence, or is there something I've missed elsewhere? Secondly, and it's more a question of a spell's properties really, how can Anomen hear the signal to attack inside a sphere of silence? Does it only block sound from leaving, or does it also prevent sound from entering? It's been a very long time since I've played the game, and I don't recall using the spell much, if at all, so it could simply be my faulty memory, but I felt it necessary to ask for myself even if the answer is obvious to others.

Aside from that, I don't recall seeing anything "wrong" with the chapter, and I'm glad to see the tide of fortune is definitely moving back in favor of the good guys, finally. ;)

-Reklar
Reklar chapter 20 . 5/31/2006
Gah, sorry for being so late, Finduilas, life has been uncooperative lately. :/ This is one of my favorite chapters to date, because it gives greater depth to Anomen and shows he's not just a lovesick puppy waiting for Merena's life to turn sour so he can have another chance - he's a real human being muddling through life just like the rest of us. I wish I could relate to his hard decision on a more personal level, but I will have settle for being able to imagine his frustration and heartache instead. That being said, it is a testament to your skill that you can evoke such a feeling in one of your readers, a talent I learned long ago not to question.

There were a few minor editing glitches, like a quotation mark where it didn't belong, but I don't recall where and I'm too tired to search for it at present. But as usual, the quality of your work is matched well with it's captivating nature. I only have one question remaining for you, and that is simply...is the Lady Kendra still single? :D

-Reklar
Frostfyre7 chapter 21 . 5/30/2006
*sighs happily* I must say, my dear, you have managed to make me an Anomen fan. Wonderful, wonderful story!
Meganalira chapter 20 . 5/29/2006
Hm, this chapter is a bit weird to me. Maybe that's stricly a personal opinion because my boyfriend's ex keeps being a bitch to me on occasion, but I can't quite picture a woman speaking about her lover's ex while waking in his arms. But maybe that's just me. Reading the chapter a second time, it didn't seem so weird anymore, and it was well introduced enough.

Where I think I have a "real" comment to make is about the flashback. It was nice to see Keldorn and his fatherly attitude :) It just seemed a bit "thrown in"; I don't know how to explain it exactly. It seemed out of flow to me; maybe an introduction phrase by Anomen just before the flashback would make the transition easier - "Just when I realized this, Keldorn came to speak to me..." or something of the kind (I'm sure you can do better ;)) The conclusion and return to the "present" was much more fluid.

You really have caught the trick to pike your readers' interest with your last sentences, Finduilas. Now that I had -almost- forgotten about Helm's meddling in Merena's marriage, you bring it back. Nice twist and well done.

Now I'm curious to see how everything will turn out :)
Jason chapter 20 . 5/27/2006
Good job on the cameo special appearance by Keldorn. It's always good to bring up other side characters. It's especially good to bring up what Anomen has been up to since ToB, since before it makes him sound like a depressed and dare I say, pathetic person that he didn't try to find anyone in the what, 10 years since the end of ToB.

Eagerly awaiting the part where Anomen will give the boot to Kelsey and where Merena will give another boot to his loins.
Finduilas88 chapter 20 . 5/25/2006
Noneko: I not sure whether it was clear or not, but Anomen wasn't really thinking about Lady Kendra, but how glad he was that he didn't marry her. And yes, it was about time they got to be alone together!

Kendris: I found that I just couldn't tell the "Kendra" story briefly, and I think that was partly because I ended up liking her so much! And I'm glad you liked M & A's conversation and the FB to Keldorn; I really wanted to explain why Anomen made the decision he did, and I think the FB had a lot more impact than just having Anomen tell the tale. And yes, you will find out about the marriage thing, pretty soon now.

Bhictoo: It just seemed too unlikely that Anomen would remain celibate all that time, after all, he had no reason in think M & K would break up. (Not to mention it's a little creepy) But you notice that Merena is grateful that no one won him away from her! I'm glad you're enjoying seeing M & A together, but whether Kelsey will enjoy seeing that is another question altogether!

Jewel34: Yay, a convert! I appreciate the fact that you gave my story a chance, seeing how much Anomen is in it. I've always thought he has great potential as a character, and it makes me happy to be able to show people what I think of as the other side of Anomen. Thanks for reading & commenting!

CelestineR: I'm glad you're enjoying my little love story, and thanks for commenting! I hope we see the next chapter of your story soon.
axilya chapter 20 . 5/24/2006
sweet, that was very sweet. I love the chapter ending, particularly.
Jewel34 chapter 20 . 5/23/2006
A quite wonderful love story; thank you very much for

writing it. I think this is the first time I have ever seen Anomen as anything other than a complete pain in the behind.

I like the way that you built up the relationship instead of jumping right in, and am thoroughly enjoying the romance.

Can't wait for more instalments!
Bhictoo chapter 20 . 5/22/2006
Oh these chapters just keep getting better and better. I truely wasn't expecting number 20 yet, only to find this gem in my mail.

Giving Anomen a past with the ladies...especially a special lady...during Merenas time with Kelsey, is a great idea...it helps round Anomen out and makes him less of a sad, and possibly, moping figure. Though to be honest, I'd personally have him make a vow of celibacy until such a time as he came across my PC again, (selfish person that I am). ;-P

Thankyou so very much for this chapter Finduilas88, it has Merena and Anomen getting more and more comfortable with each other, and cementing them as a couple. They are fitting so well together, that I'm sure that even Kelsey will see that they were "meant."

Funnily enough I've become a bit more patient whilst awaiting a new chapter, as, I think, it's because I've not been dissapointed, both with content and regularity of the chapters. I hope I haven't hexed anything...*looks around warily*...shutting up now.;-) TTFN!
Kendris chapter 20 . 5/22/2006
Glad to see the "expanding chapter" happens to others, as well.

Beautiful chapter; the words and emotions are simply perfect. Anomen's story of Kendra, and the flashback conversation with Keldorn are a perfect addition to this tale.

NOW, I'm really curious as to what they're gonna do about the marriage thing!
noneko chapter 20 . 5/22/2006
Still love it. The only iffy thing I found was Anomen's comment that Lady Kendra had come up in his thoughts often... when, judging from the chapters from Anomen's point of view, he hasn't really been thinking about it. Small point though, and I love the rest. So glad the two of them *finally* got some alone time. :P
Kallamae chapter 19 . 5/18/2006
The only good thing about coming home and having an inbox full of junk email to sift through was finding the alerts for new chapters of your story. Thank you!

I really like the way you've handled Merena's marital status. It would have cheapened the romance if it was just ignored.

Hope to see more soon.
Meganalira chapter 19 . 5/18/2006
Aw, a nice love scene :) Just romantic enough and not putting too much in words :)

Anomen wouldn't be distracted so easily eh? lol

Write on :)
Finduilas88 chapter 19 . 5/16/2006
Reklar: Well, I'm certainly glad that I haven't written Merena as too much of a drama queen! I don't think she actually had to do too much to capture Anomen's imagination, the evidence suggests that it had been captured for some time. I'm also glad that you enjoyed Anomen's portrayal in this chapter...I wanted him to come off as self-assured, but still a little self-conscious about his 'first time' with his ladylove. Oh, and thanks for the corrections, those things are just so hard to see sometimes!

Kendris: Welcome back! You have certainly been missed around here. I'm glad you're enjoying the story so much! As for Anomen, well, I don't think it'll surprise you to learn that I agree that this Anomen is pretty appealing; you and I obviously have similar taste in that regard. Thanks so much!

Bhictoo: Whatever the reason for your absence, it's great to have you reviewing again! I'm glad you liked my resolution of the A&M love scene...it's always kind of a balancing act to suggest what they're up to without spelling it out to explicitly-I've just given the story a 'T' rating, after all. And thanks for the kind words about Jaheira's portrayal and the secondary characters-I do enjoy writing them, and we'll have some more material from their PoVs coming soon. And yes, the divorce is coming soon too, but first they have to get out of the predicament they're in!

Thanks for commenting, everyone!
Jason chapter 19 . 5/16/2006
Haha. Anomen, you crazy kid. And Merena, you minx... A nice chapter, and I found myself smiling, as if they were real people and this all really happened.
251 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »