Reviews for Before The Match
pajaro black chapter 1 . 12/11/2005
That was really your first try at Pokemon fanfction?

0.o :Blinks, shocked and very jealous:

If only I'd started off like that...

Nicely written, I got agood feel of everything there. The one problem I had was the Mew. Kinda sue-ish with teh legendary capture and all, but... I can't talk. I mena, my main story features a girl with an Eevee who runs away from home... :cringe: I'm plannign on goign backa dn fixing it though, I promise!

I hope you're planning on writting other things when the inspiration strikes you! ;)

Nolaquen265 chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
Hi, everyone. Thank you all for reviewing "Before The Match". I'd like to make two points clear that have been running around in my mind for awhile. First, this story came to me not long ago, and I just wrote it down as I saw it in my head. I did not spend weeks trying to make the primary character perfect and unbeatable. That's just the way I saw it and wrote it down. Secondly, one day after I posted this story (and right after reading "VulpixTrainer"'s review), I started writing a chapter fic that would help explain how this character developed into what you see in "Before The Match" to help clear up most of the questions anyone might have after reading it. Again, thank you all so much for reading and reviewing.
Farla chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
This isn't a 'unique' trainer by any stretch of imagination, just a pretty standard stu. There isn't any real story here either, just a long power trip of a fantasy as you go on about how super his pokemon are, how super he is, how totally unbeatable he is, how special he is... More, like the typical stu trainer one-shot, you've got a lot in your head on his backstory exploits that don't matter, but that you just *have* to put in so we'll know how very, very speshul he is. So you make references to him having minor psychic powers, knowing super ancient secret training methods, beating legendaries, catching legendaries...

The writing of this itself is pretty - mildly hyperbolic and somewhat given to cliche, but you set the scene nicely enough. Unfortunately, you have nothing in the way of substance. Stories about 'before the final match' can be done well, but you're not focusing on the match, you're focusing on how amazing and cool your trainer is, how he's oh so very overpowered, and how there is no way he can lose. Your story is nothing but a long description of Why My Trainer Is Really Really Cool.
VulpixTrainer chapter 1 . 12/8/2005
Wow, this is really good, in fact... To be honest and blunt, this could be a series of chapters, why is he called the legendary trainer? and that is only one of many questions that I have, I know that this is a oneshot, but it could easily become a series, keep writing, you are very good at it.
plasmasphere chapter 1 . 12/7/2005
I like the emotion of the trainer. It shows much more than just a battle, but a fight going on in his head. A story is incomplete with only action and no reflection.