Reviews for Future Tense
Ciekawa Osoba chapter 8 . 12/14/2013
Wow! I'm speechless. Simply amazing. I *love* the concept of Atemu and Thief King being summoned back, and having to *fight* to stay that way. Laughed aloud at the arguing-turned-foreplay between the Bakuras, and the unwilling rejection between the Muutou's, and Atemu's name causing power outages and glass implosions was great. I soaked up the "firsts..." game the Puzzle-bearers played; gave us so much nice background about Atemu! And him, just scaring the living sh*t out of the Kaiba brothers... Classic. You characterized Yuugi and Jou really, really well, my only objection being the somewhat-often typo of loosing the "i" at the end of the latter's name. Malik was really nice to see (though what color did he streak his hair?), Ishizu being a human who makes mistakes, Rishid... why didn't he signal Yuugi out during the end there would have been nice to be told... and I have to say I prefer "Ishtahl" over "Ishtar", having a proclivity toward the Arabic Ibn Sahl from optical physics... But I digress. This fic was amazing, plausibly extrapolated in-character, and will be reread in the future.
PennyKing chapter 8 . 8/23/2013
First and foremost, bravo. There are really no words that even begin to scratch the surface of written merit your story is worthy of.

But I will try anyway.

This is actually my second time reading Future Tense because, yes, it's that good. It's very good. Your interpretation of post-canon events in the world of Yu-Gi-Oh was, in retrospect, a bit dark. But that's what made it so fun to read.

I mean, innocent little Yugi becoming a bit of a "whore"? Well, I suppose when you lose your other half, you start to lose sense of dignity in the process. Yugi was no longer complete and tried to preoccupy himself with work, work, and more work and all that implied to do a damn good job at it. When one analyzes the characters as portrayed in Future Tense, one could see you had a daring, yet realistic perspective of their futures, and I, as well as many readers before me, really appreciate that.

The characters in your version of the future actually *evolved*, for better or for worse. Mostly for worse, because as Yami said they were completely different than what they should have been. But then, a happy and healthy Yugi and Ryou would have been boring, though that's for another day.

Your portrayal of the relationships between the yamis and hikaris was excellent. No matter what anyone else says, I feel it would be too "and they lived happily ever after" had the hikaris accepted their darker halves right away. Not to mention all the years they spent in internal conflict wondering if they did the right thing or not (at least for Yugi) would just be throw out the window on a whim! No! They're adults now! They've built their own lives and have been forced to learn to get by on their own. Accepting their other halves is like marriage (no divorce, either). Having the people they've (consciously/unconsciously) relied on for so long step all over the fragile foundation of the new lives they've tried to forge for themselves is a BIG decision!

With that, I move on to the ending, which I believe is fine the way it is, give or take an epilogue. It was a happy ending, in a slightly doleful sense, not that I was expecting rose petals and confettis. The ending matched the angsty mood of this post-canon drama, so that's a plus for keeping the flow. For me, I'm happy knowing all turned out well for our protagonists, but perhaps a short epilogue, an aftermath of the aftermath, may give other readers that big sigh of satisfaction in ending the long journey, since Death-T (or Duelist Kingdom), of their hero, Yugi Mutou.

Now, before I finish (please forgive my lengthy review. I just love this story so much!), just a quick overview of the other characters. I love how you maintained Joey and Yugi's friendship after all these years. It's a shame that others have moved on, but they also have lives to live, too, so that was only expected. At least one person hasn't abandoned him, considering the people he's lost already. Kaiba is a difficult character to write, considering all the layers he has and the 180's he flips in his interactions with certain, different people, but you did a superb job, especially with his use of legal jargon when addressing an uncomfortable issue (btw, what was that? Did something happen in New York?). Marik, that little fighter. He really changed the course of the story. Finally, Ishizu...she seemed pretty much the same, loyal as always. However, it seems she has forgotten the lesson she learned in Battle City, that destiny can be changed. But I guess reviving the pharaoh only to have to send him back clouded that lesson. "Perhaps fate cannot be changed, after all," or something. I can imagine her thinking that.

All right, you may breathe again! I apologize for the length but I want to show writers I actually read their hard work with every fiber of my being and I thought it was more than just an "Awesome story!" or "Good story! I loved it! Write more please!"

I do hope you will continue to write because you have an amazing gift. Not everyone can weave emotions into written words, so please do not be afraid to show off your talent. Even if it's not fanfiction, there will be at least one more story in the world to read.

-PennyKing
Drew chapter 8 . 7/7/2013
This story is awesome. Its always a bit bittersweet to read stories where everyone is all grown up but you did it brilliantly.
Aozora27 chapter 8 . 2/3/2013
Great story! Love the ending! :D
herRhi-chan chapter 8 . 6/16/2011
This fic has been so full of twists, and unexpected angsty turns.. It was different and refreshing? Haha, thank yoy for writing this :3
JudyTheMangaFreak chapter 8 . 6/5/2011
Yay! Malik saved the world! xD Oh, how I am grinning madly while a few minutes ago I am still heart-brokent and close to tears when Yugi denied his other half? TTTT This story is so heart-broking... I actually wished it would be longer... Nice story, btw
TexasDreamer01 chapter 8 . 10/6/2010
right next to ryou and the thief king, malik's my favorite character. i knew i liked him for something.

brittney
ForestGuardian311 chapter 8 . 6/12/2010
One word...AMAZING! I loved your interpretation of the future, and I just love stories that deal w/ Atemu coming back... You did an incredible job with this. I am so glad that Yugi came to his senses...it wouldn't have been fair for Yami to leave...again.

Anyway, fantastic job and keep it up!
kayura sanada chapter 1 . 8/25/2009
kukuku. Okay. Evil laugh inserted, let's go to the next chapter!
shadowninja-yuna chapter 8 . 6/9/2009
I nearly had a heart attack when I thought that Yuugi wouldn't change his mind D: Thank god...gods...god... he did.
Yami-no-Tamashii chapter 8 . 6/2/2009
ZOMFG! THAT WAS FCKING AWESOME!

*adds to favorites*

I liked this. It was short, but still really deep and dramatic. Me likey when Yami is hurt unfairly by Yugi...or maybe it was fairly...but I'LL ALWAYS SIDE WITH YAMI-SAMA! x)

Um...what else...um...ah whatever. Haha, I liked how Seto and Mokuba found out about Yami.

At first I didn't get that this wasn't really AU...I thought it was. Then it took me a moment to realize that Yami was Yami because of how you changed his hair...x) The change in Yugi was soo OOC though...that's why i thought it was AU...hehe, I had to go back and reread the summary.

GO ATEMU-SAMAA!

Darkie
Shi-koi chapter 8 . 5/24/2009
*heart*

Amazing, wonder, brilliant, extremely original story, but...that's it? -frowns- It doesn't *feel* complete. -sighs- Yeah yeah, I'm just being greedy.

I love the amount of emphasis you put into Atemu's name. -nods- It was perfect.

I'm surprised at Yugi, I must admit. I though he'd have accepted Yami much much sooner. -shrugs- Ah well, all was right in the end.

Shi-koi chapter 4 . 5/24/2009
*heart*

Okay... -throws the idea of sleeping right out the window-

That was...wow. I thought Yami's confrontation with the Kaiba's was whoa, but this chapter, -whistles- this one was pure fun. I adored the arcade, and the swapping of firsts. -grin-

Shi-koi chapter 3 . 5/24/2009
*heart*

Your notes made me laugh. -grin-

Actually, the first thing I though of when Yugi didn't respond to the name 'Yami' was, 'Oh yeah, in the original he was never given his own name, was he?' and merrily went on my way. I was a bit stumped about Bakura, but I figured there had to be more than one Japanese person with that name, not to mention you described him with blue hair instead of white.

The story is...interesting, so far. Well-written too. I probably won't have much else to say about it until I've actually got some sleep, otherwise it'll come out as some sort of garbled mess.

Kirah Ruth chapter 6 . 4/1/2009
You know, somewhere in the middle of this, I realized that Ryou/Bakura actually does make sense. In the twisted sort of way that most yaoi pairings make sense in, anyways. (They were cute together, yes, but I didn't really get it until now.)

Other than that... poor, poor Yami.