Reviews for Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid
Queen Emily the Diligent chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
Love it! I always like stories that make Hiko Kenshin's father.
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/14/2006
I vote for more. This is an interesting twist or departure from canon. Besides a back story, how about a time in the future when this truth is revealed? I can't help feeling that another motivation to just let Kenshin go is the knowledge that in training his son, passing on the ougi becomes even more personal. In teaching Kenshin Hiten Mitsurugi, he is expecting his own son to kill him.

Enough speculation, I'd like to go back to what you wrote. I think you did a great job with Hiko's tone. He starts out frustrated with his young, obstinate teenager as you would expect. He becomes reflective, although with his determination to remain unsentimental, you communicate that he is not allowing himself to reflect on the depth of his feelings of loss. Ultimately, as you would expect of Hiko, he is resolutely determined to keep his counsel, his fears, pain and love to himself. It does make you wonder how the course of events would have changed with a decision to be more open.
the sacred night chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
backstory would be cool... nobody ever explores what Hiko's life was like before he met Kenshin, or in your case before they were reunited.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 4/5/2006
I read Sueb262's story based on this, and I just had to read it.

This is a great one-shot! Hiko's POV, his reasons for not telling Kenshin about his true parentage, rang true.

The arrogance, the constant pushing Kenshin away emotionally seems to have stemmed from his guilt at abandoning him. It's heartbreaking that Hiko decided to hide his love and pride in his son, but understandable in the context of the story.

Nicely done!
sueb262 chapter 1 . 3/3/2006
I so love this-I'm not sure how I missed reviewing it before...

I can really feel the strength of Hiko's heart, his long-ago decision, his regret about that decision-and the new and sort of continuing decision not to tell the secret. Beautifully done!

And I'm so glad you decided to explore this idea further in your story "Some Things Never Fade"!
lolo popoki chapter 1 . 12/17/2005
Wow... I've always enjoyed stories exploring the sort of father/son relationship those two share, but this really takes it a step further :D I love it! I'm glad that you're writing the backstory to this; you've really piqued my interest :)
charmed-sword chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
SSD! This was great! I really enjoyed reading this, I think you captured Hiko wonderfully, just the right mix of concern, pride and love, as well as that good ole self assurance and arrogance. :D I really sympathised with him here. You can really feel the struggle he felt letting him go like that. And as for a backstory, my answer is...HELL YEAH! I think you've really got something here, and I am just too excited about it. You simply must tell us what happened between Hiko and the woman with the red hair! *sniff* and how she ended up dying in his arms! mirroring his son's later experience... I can't wait for more of this! Hope all is great with you! Well, it seems college hasn't eaten away your brain. *grin* I'm glad!
Peacebunnie chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
So I was eating a can of pineapple when I started this... and I almost spewed it across my laptop screen when I read the first two lines. Something about that scene strikes me as hilarious, and so I knew exactly what you were talking about, even before you got to Hiko's complaints about actually being hit.

I like the take on Hiko and Kenshin - an interesting thought, and a very cool what if. Don't stress about this too much; I think you did a nice job with Hiko. Thumbs up.
Nemesis Jedi chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
I always liked the idea of Hiko being Kenshin's true father so Your twist was a pleasant surprise for me, and you made it believable as well. Even though Hiko is notorious for being a difficult character to write, I believe you did a fine job. _

I hope you decide to make that back story you where talking about in the end, I would very much like to know more about this girl that captured Hiko's heart. And although I know it's a long shot, especially with the tone of this fic, I REALLY want Kenshin to find out that Hiko is his father. Perhaps when Kenshin learns the final technique Hiko will let something slip?
Sayoko Bizen chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
Nicely done. Back story, onegaishimasu!
SpaceRoses chapter 1 . 12/9/2005
Wow! Really wow! This story is absoutely wonderful! I never really thought about Hiko and Kenshin being related but your story has a wonderful way of suggesting it!

What's even sadder was that Kenshin was used by people and he actually made mistakes quite similar to what Hiko did and he did end up hateing himself for them.

Please, please, please write the back story! I wonder what kind of woman Hiko would have married...but I'll leave that for you to write. Thanks for such a great, moving, touching story!