Reviews for Minimal Pairs
Accusation chapter 1 . 1/14/2006
Ah, it's a little late for this review, but I was wandering through the section and happened to find this one, so...

Very nicely done. I mean, it's obvious you've thought a lot about this, and I'm always interested in hearing people's opinions and ideas about characters and whatnot. Sakaki's pair was my favorite.

I loved reading your interpretations, they're very interesting and for the most part I agree with them. Especially Yukari! I mean, I always keep expecting her to just freeze one day in front of the classroom and be like, "Um, what am I doing here?"

I am curious as to your view of the structure of the girls' social group, simply because I can't figure it out myself. There doesn't seem to BE any structure to it, in my mind. I'm also interested that you mentioned Tomo having a position at the top of the group, because that thought never occured to me. She seems to be largely ignored or... okay, ignored was a bad choice of wording, but... brushed aside, maybe. The only one who seems to actually listen to anything that comes out of her mouth is Osaka. But that's just my opinion.

This is getting way too long. But I really enjoyed reading the pairs and your interpretations :)
seven of wands chapter 1 . 12/18/2005
...are you a psychology major...?

ma, this is good. deep, well thought out, though a few people might argue that you are overthinking things.

...saa... i do quite agree that we do not know much about Ayumu (Osaka). indeed, among the "main" crew, we know the least about her. She is among the three characters whose home life has never been shown or mentioned (the others being Kagura and Tomo), and her personality and psyche seems almost unstable at best.
sparklef0x chapter 1 . 12/10/2005
There's so much to say about this one that I would usually give up reviewing something like that. Something about reviews makes me uneasy, but on the other hand if your readers can read my review (instead of a "From me, to you" email), it's fairer for you. Maybe you don't care about recognition, though.

First of all you say that your characterizations suck. In my opinion, the problem is just that you gave the readers the interpretations/keys for the pairs. The pairs themselves should have been enough (I'm not saying they should have been easily decipherable, only "possibly decipherable" without the corresponding explanation), and some weren't.

As a reader I really took pleasure in trying to decode these pairs by myself, linking each of them to its corresponding character. Some of the symbols/references' efficiency is striking. I want to send you something that I deem thought-provoking, about the empirical world you refer to in your explanation for Sakaki's pair, but I don't think it would be appropriate to put it in a review.

From a personal point of view, you already know that I just love it when you share some of your opinions about the series, so I eagerly read your interpretations (although I disagree with the end of Kaorin's pair's explanation, because I think her idolization is a bit more complicated that just something which makes her "so close, yet so far" from Sakaki). But "objectively" speaking, their presence is legitimated only because the pairs are uneven.

For instance, if the reader is willing to give some thought to Nyamo's pair, I don't think it needs an explanation at all. The various implications of this pair's main meaning aren't obvious, and that's what makes it a great Rubik's cube (since a certain someone likes toying with their characters...) : it's not impossible, but it demands efforts and attention. I think it's one of the pairs that has the best balance.

On the whole I think this story (for lack of a better word) is a serious game that has a huge potential : every pair is a whole little forest containing various elements echoing with each other, and if every single one of them was fully exploited so that it becomes a full ecosystem in itself, I believe the pairs would form a fascinating network.

But even in its present state, it deserves to be meditated upon again and again, relished. You always have wonderful, innovative ideas, and I think that just like these "Minimal Pairs" , you might actually have the potential to do something significant.