Reviews for The Rich Are Always Respectable
GlassMazeGazer chapter 40 . 5/16
I had to talk myself into reading this story because I’m not much a fan of Darcy paired off with.. mmmm.. non-Elizabeth’s. But, I was looking for a small reason to procrastinate a little longer on finishing my taxes soooo I figured why not start a story I was sure I would not like well enough to get engrossed by. Ooops. Couldn’t stop reading it and my tax returns are still not done.

The l - o - n - g build to where Darcy & Elizabeth finally see each other again after several years worked well to build tension & eagerness for the reunion. The two chapters where they finally meet again (while alert and speaking) had an impressive intensity after waiting so long.

There were interesting elements and details all through the story. The skillful use of the Hunsford letter (Darcy wrote to Elizabeth) to gradually steer the story in the direction of bringing Darcy & Elizabeth together was a subtle but very potent device, both times. There were several odd elements giving color to the story that brought me up short. One example was having Darcy, while remaining mostly calm appearance-wise to most characters, shredding handkerchiefs. It’s an unexpected element because I don’t think it’s a common quirk, but it also struck me personally because I had a great grandmother who shredded things like that when she was anxious.

It was great to see a proper, strong, non-pathetic, non-begging Darcy in a FF. He had just enough insecurity, relative to Elizabeth, post-Hunsford to demonstrate the reality check on his prideful notions without leaving him devoid of some reasonable pride. I’ve always been a fan of the canon Darcy character (& even think Austen was a bit too hard on him). I can’t understand why anyone enjoys the whipped & demolished grovelers so many FFs end him as.

The one frustration I have with the story is how little there was with D&E finally together. It’s a lengthy story where Darcy is put through an awful lot of painful & unpleasant experiences. It would have been really enjoyable to have some of the story depict Darcy & Elizabeth (& Anne & Stephen) living as a family and f-i-n-a-l-l-y enjoying themselves and each other together. IOW — I ate the the goopy spinach and the liver, but there was no desert afterwards to reward me and to take away the taste of the ick.

Skillful storytelling, despite my complaint.
GlassMazeGazer chapter 27 . 5/16
My mind immediately jumped to the “strange woman” being Lydia. It would fit her character and besides, Darcy doesn’t seem to get around enough anymore to have stumbled over any miscellaneous women who might get some idea they can get something out of him.
MelodieMLB chapter 40 . 5/8
Thank you. This was superb!
Hiniwalay chapter 32 . 12/5/2020
omg HAHAHA lydiaaaaaa whyyyyy
Darcy’s dry response to refusing her proposition is just, golden.
Levenez chapter 40 . 6/19/2020
Thank you for this beautiful though often sad story. This I guess is pushing the misunderstandings quite far as Darcy does his duty time and again.
musingmarauder chapter 40 . 6/6/2020
That was lovely, but I cried so much when Georgiana died.
LVG chapter 20 . 4/10/2020
Elizabeth Bennet might as well have married someone else in this story. I couldn’t imagine her pining away for Darcy. It’s OOC. It’s your story, so you did as you saw fit. Although, this Darcy could’ve survived alone without Elizabeth as a love interest. She deserved better.
Guest chapter 40 . 11/24/2019
This was so lovely to read! Poor Darcy had everything thrown at him though! Thanks for writing this!
Wendy chapter 40 . 11/17/2019
Yeah! They get their happy ending! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I enjoyed it. Grief and hard times are a part of life. You must still live and enjoy what you can. Too many people forget that first part.
katriaine chapter 1 . 8/31/2019
This was really nicely written and I am now looking for your other stories. Wondering what happened to the little boy...
Guest chapter 12 . 1/27/2019
Your chapter 12 is the same as ch 11.
Edward'sDJ chapter 40 . 12/23/2018
Such economy of words, which eloquently told of years in detail, in only 75000 words. I loved it, thank you.
Edward'sDJ chapter 39 . 12/23/2018
Don't leave him alone
Edward'sDJ chapter 38 . 12/23/2018
Thank goodness the following chapters are up
Edward'sDJ chapter 37 . 12/23/2018
Darcy will need someone on his team even more now