Reviews for A Strong Will
Fairytale Warrior chapter 7 . 3/13/2013
*finishes story*
*glances at Update Date*
2009, bro?! "Historical" indeed! D: That's rather upsetting; doesn't appear as though you'll ever update this one again. (Maaaybe I'm giving up to quickly? *attempts to give best hopeful grin*) Well, I might as well give you a nice review for a nice read, neh? Since it's been 2 years since you're last review and all.

*cracks fingers* ok, here we go: I think you have probably already gathered that I really like this story. :D All the history lines up and adds to the thrill of a very realistic adventure- no corners are cut in this story and I like that. You obviously know what you're talking about when you use such facts to your advantage and the methods in which you tie each of such facts into this interest the reader more than enough to continue reading. Furthermore, the characters that you write about in this are all very well put together. The OCs are in no way obnoxious and fit the intentions you seemed to have for them. I cared for the priests when they showed their loyalty to the Ishin Shishi by sacrificing themselves for their cause. I understood Tanaka's desperate reasons when he betrayed Kenshin and even further enjoy the personality of Hirokatsu.

The one character that I feel I should point out to you, however, is Katsura. Take my criticism as you wish, however, do realize that, while he cares for Kenshin, it is unlikely he would behave in the manner with which he does in "A Strong Will." For example: I do like how he traveled from Kyoto to Nara once he found out about the wounds Kenshin returned with but realistically, such an important man should not have risked himself to make such a dangerous trip for the sake of a soldier who could very easily die anyway. Rather, in my own opinion, I think he would have sent someone in his place. Depending on his resources he could have either sent another skilled swordsman or merely a man practiced in concealing himself to aid the Battousai. To add to that, he has men under him that are very well skilled in taking people with a highly important standing out of Kyoto, I believe they could have done similarly with Kenshin (of course there is still the fact that he is wounded severely, makin' things rather difficult.)

Furthermore, I would also like to point out the level of abuse that Kenshin has endured. (XD) I'm all one for blood and gore, believe me, I am not bothered by the number of wounds he has sustained or the desecration he continues to bear. Rather, I shamelessly say I enjoy it (preeetttyyy sure there is something wrong with that, but meh. ._. I have stresses and so I say: i . imgur 9yeHX KJ . gif) However, he IS a man, a teenager, and his body DOES have limitations. I have no doubt that Kenshin could very well take a large number of devastating wounds in very portentous situations and still come out alive. To do so, though, he would need to find ways of surviving with his wounds that everyday soldiers other wise would not. Like, in chapter 2, he could have bandaged himself up with some material from his gi or his hakama or maybe find an herb or something that Hiko taught him about in the woods along his travels. (yay convenience :D) Lastly, it would help me a little if you could maybe provide some semblance of time in your story. I have very little idea about how much Kenshin's wounds have healed thus far and I'm a little confused on how long our infamous Battousai has been under Shinsengumi control...

Anyway, don't mind me or any of my recommendations if you don't want to, I simply think that as a reviewer I should provide you with as much helpful feedback as I can. Lately, too many people simply COMMENT in the reviews and seem to forget about the overall POINT of a review. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, we all appreciate a nice comment. :) (It's pretty damn likely, though, that you won't even GET this review, considering how long it's been since you last updated, but I still wanted to try. I feel a little better now, too. XD) So, yeah, great story :D Loved it through to the end!
Leo's Katanas chapter 7 . 5/29/2011
O.o

Awesome story so far!

Please update soon!
JBubbles chapter 7 . 3/2/2011
Ugh... I feel sad for the passing of such close colleague, I, too, think read the same fic your refer in the end note. And the torture in poor Kenshin, only unsettlung feelings here.

But I'm curious about more, even tough you took 2 years per chapter... (Hey! 2011 is the year of updates! cheeky grin), and, altough I don't read everyone of them, I like your cultural/historical notes.

Waiting for the next chapter!
melcon chapter 7 . 1/2/2011
This is an excellent story told with skillful writing. Please update soon!
Eternal Love's Eclipse chapter 7 . 12/2/2010
Very good! Very detailed! And poor Himura-kun finally gets a light at the end of the tunnel-even if he doesn't know it yet.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 6 . 7/8/2010
intriguing
sirensbane chapter 7 . 6/8/2010
This is a very well-written story. You write long chapters and you use good grammar. I'm impressed. But Kenshin's chances of escape are rapidly wearing thin; he can't use his sword arm and now his left leg is going to be pretty much useless. Please update soon.
Geckohawaii chapter 7 . 2/28/2010
Agh, suspense! Kenshin needs some respite! I'm still reading, and looking forward to the next update!
Malirunic chapter 7 . 6/2/2009
No... not the cliffhanger... -.-"

This is an amazing story! The suspense is killing me! -.-" PLEASE update soon...
TrisakAminawn chapter 7 . 5/15/2009
Uhm...well...I just read it? Yerk. Torture. Kenshin's body stayed in so much better shape back when he was a practicing hitokiri. Matsuo is so...irritating. Politics are so...but this is just... It's a very good story, although I lack the energy to do a proper critique-anyway, you will keep it up now that you've started again, won't you?
Althea M chapter 7 . 5/9/2009
Glad to see you have returned. You've been missed.

The torture inflicted on Kenshin is horrific! How he continues after this...

Waiting for more.

AM
anaticulapraecantrix chapter 7 . 5/2/2009
Ep! Poor Kenshin. D:

And I didn't know that about HakuBaikou! That story was fantastic and I think it was the first one I read in this community. She'll be missed.
skenshingumi chapter 7 . 4/19/2009
I am thrilled to see an update for this story. I hope you don't give up on it or the fans of your writing. The original version of this story was one that caught my attention when I first starting getting into RuroKen fanfiction. This version seems to even surpass that. The historical detail and the incredible grit of characters such as Kenshin and Katsura played off the almost maniacal short-sighted stupidity of Matsuo,the wariness of Suzuku or the spirit of Hirokatsu make for gripping reading. The torture was a bit hair-raising and I would hate to think of the kind of research that would uncover that bit of historical information but it certainly made the torture more convincing. I also found the whole part with Kenshin trying to kill himself something that makes sense for anyone of that time who would know what he was about to endure. It shows that Kenshin was human enough to know he could have a breaking point.

By the way, the new author's name threw me. I would have read this sonner if I realized it was the BakaBokken story and not someone else using the name. It was a great to see it was indeed what I was hoping for.
Damaged Ghost of an Angel chapter 7 . 4/19/2009
Wow. You're back! And this chapter is really good.

I have to say, one of my favorite things about your writing is how you go and research everything you use. It's really good to have it backed up with actually history. Thank you for writing and I'm glad that you're back!
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 7 . 4/19/2009
Thank goodness! I thought we'd lost you to the ranks of the rabid yaoi OOC fangirls, but this chapter has renewed my faith in your writing. (there must be something in the water. First you, then Vathara...it's a veritable epidemic of shonen-ainess)

I really like Hirokatsu. The moment when he grabs Katsura by the kimono and yells at him was incredibly cool. While I can understand Katsura's POV, and to some extent agree with it, I LIKE Hirokatsu's attitude a lot more.

The inclusion of references to Tomoe's memory was a very nice touch. It makes sense that she'd be Kenshin's reason for fighting when anyone else would've given up, and his solace for "when the pain became too overwhelming".

Matsuo isn't just a sadist, he's a stupid sadist, which makes him more dangerous and doesn't bode well for his future. If Saitoh's motto is 'slay evil instantly' I wonder what his motto for incompetence is? What really got me was Matsuo's moronic idea that he could switch a random prisoner for a redhead with a distinctive scar. Just because Matsuo had never seen Kenshin before doesn't mean Okita, Saitoh, or someone else hadn't. Matsuo isn't much for thinking things through, is he?

Suzuka's POV makes for a fascinating read. He's far more interesting as a self-interested political animal than if he were unswervingly faithful to his lord.

Trust that freak Matsuo to know the most painful shinsengumi torture techniques. You're right in your historical note, it was indeed the method used to extract information on the location of Ikeda-ya, and you described it realistically enough to make me wince while reading.

Can't wait for more good (non-yaoi) postings!