Reviews for A Love Beyond Time
Shade40 chapter 31 . 5/3/2009
This story is blowing me away! It shouldn't make any sense at all. It shouldn't be enjoyable at all. I should be confused out of my mind, with no idea what is going to happen or even why past events have happened, and yet... It doesn't seem to matter. The world is not the familiar world of Chrono Trigger. The only familiar character is Crono, with everyone else being original. The things that are happening seem inexplicable. But it doesn't matter. I'm still enjoying the story, and I'd be hard pressed to say exactly WHY.

The writing, in particular, is superb. You might have one error within each chapter, and for the size of the chapters, that's a great percentage! Your flowing writing style is awesome, achieving such a balance between speech, action, and description that it never becomes boring. I can't comment too much on how in-character your characters are, since Crono is the only one who already has a set personality, but I think you portray him very realistically. I like Coppelia and I will be very surprised if she does not turn out to be a robot.

I find the Samsara and Jinling events a little less easy to follow, although they are still moderately interesting at the moment. While it is unclear to me how the two scenes will eventually connect, this story feels like you have everything planned out and will connect ideas up later in such a way that I will want to read it again in order to recognize the foreshadowing.

The intermission explanation with Marle speaking was great. Her voice was dead-on.

Good line: "Being around the Athena Machine makes me feel young and refreshed!” “But you're still hungry,” Chrono muttered to himself.

In fact, any time you throw in small lines about the other CT characters, they're good. Like the line about Magus probably liking Paem's staff. I thought that was cute, but you don't do it so much as to portray Crono as constantly thinking about his old friends, which I don't think he would do.

I get the sense that this is nowhere near finished, as you have given us lots of stuff to think and wonder about, but I feel confident in saying that you've got the plot planned and are guiding us along with a clear destination in mind. I'm not sure where we're going, and whether I like the story or not could still change depending on what you reveal in the future, but for now, I'm enjoying the read.
mastersam chapter 30 . 3/4/2009
"But you're still hungry," Chrono muttered to himself.

Oh my dear God, I love that line! Every single alarm in my Chrono series veteran head went off at that line.

Sorry, just thought you had to know. Please continue.
Toreshi Tobin chapter 1 . 10/28/2008
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I just read through the entire store (thus far) and I'm totally captivated. Your grasp of the English language is quite amazing, and you really have a way with words in general. The plot keeps dragging me in and I have no idea how you are able to keep track of so many different things happening all at once.

It's absolutely great and I can't wait to read more!

Thanks!
Omega87 chapter 28 . 10/7/2008
Very clever my friend. You worked it in very well, told us what we wanted to know AND did it with style and humor while workin the poor princess back in. Its good to see that she isn't just hangin around while this goes down :p

Lookin forward to the next chapter :D
RPLG chapter 28 . 10/7/2008
What a change of pace from the last few chapters! You caught me totally by surprise!

This chapter reminds me of the imp in FF VI who instructed you on how to power up Gau on the Veldt. He was so annoying...

It is good for a brief summary of the story to occur so far.

I never expected a chapter like this. I look forward in anticipation to the next update.
RPLG chapter 27 . 10/7/2008
A creepy interpretation of WS Gilbert's ditty. In fact, this whole chapter gives me the shivers.

"Someone tapped Chrono on the shoulder; it was Paem. She had moved stealthily behind him. Her face wore an expression of deep concern, and she could not stop fidgeting with her staff and shifting her weight from one foot to the other. She seemed to be breathing heavily."

These sentences could probably be combined in some way to make the situation. The verb tense between the second sentence and the others does not agree. The view seems to shift from 3rd person to 1st.

Suggestion (or to that effect): Someone who breathed heavily tapped Chrono on the shoulder; he turned and found Paem with an expression of deep concern as she glanced around and fidgeted.
RPLG chapter 26 . 10/7/2008
You do a good job of conveying Samsara's frustration in the first section.

"thud, thud, thud"

Interesting parallelism.

I am filled with anticipation as I read the next chapter...
RPLG chapter 25 . 10/7/2008
“I am cautiously optimistic.”

“Optimism is just what we need now!”

Sounds like some odd spoof of the Wizard of Oz.

"Between the umpteen directions in which her mind was torn..."

Stream of consciousness? I think that the last comma in that flow needs to be replaced by a semicolon or colon.

I bet that Egmont is a riot at concerts or the opera.
RPLG chapter 24 . 10/7/2008
Been a long time, but I will get back into it.

"She reviewed what she knew. Jinling was gone."

Feels like a colon is needed here.

"Samsara jumped up from her seat and ran to her room to throw on whatever day clothes she could find..."

Apparently Lucca passed on her dressing preferences.

"Resisting the urge to retort that everyone at City Hall is likely a crook and a liar to some degree or other..."

Touche.

"screed"

creed?

The protester sounds a little too rational.
Omega87 chapter 27 . 10/3/2008
Nice to see some new chapters to this ride D but it is a bit hard to keep track of what's happening. Perhaps you could consider putting in a little refresher at the beginning of each chapter that covers what happened last chapter or 2 chapters back? Just an idea, not something that has to be done.

Regardless still great as always, quite a few open ends atm, its going to be fun to see where it all goes. Waitin for the next update man :p
RPLG chapter 23 . 5/2/2008
I really enjoyed this chapter with all its bizarrity (some what like "A Starry Night" by Van Gogh. This chapter flows beautifully and seamlessly together. Like Chrono, I can't "find a suitable thing to say." It must have been a joy to write.
RPLG chapter 22 . 5/2/2008
Glad to see Samsara is making her literary debut.

"Much slicker. Much more useful. Much better with a saxophone."

For some reason, the image of Johnny Five at a nightclub comes to mind.

"she began to panic."

Insert dramatic music.
FabulaEstActa chapter 26 . 4/20/2008
I... I

Whoa...

This... This is the best fanfiction I have ever read in terms of intricacy and imagery. Oh, the way you describe things is just beyond belief. In fact, I wish I had reviewed sooner, because there were so many good examples of metaphors, personification, and the like that I should have jotted them down for future reference. In fact, much of my review will just be general praise, as I honestly feel the need to go back and look over some of the chapters again.

The prose is incredible. Seriously. The tone of the story makes it feel more like a piece of art than a work of fiction. The plot is absolutely compelling; I find myself completely enthralled and yet utterly in the dark as to what could occur next, on each and every chapter. The sprinkling of poetry in there also adds to the chapters, especially the three little maidens.

Also to be mentioned is the fact that you have two completely different worlds, one more spiritual, the other highly modern, and you are still able to make both appear ...natural, in a sense. They both feel as though they honestly could exist. From Samsara's music to Chrono's fairy guide, all the pieces you've brought together fit nicely.

Some littler things now. I like that Chrono refers to Marle as Nadia. It seems appropriate, especially for the mood of this fiction. I like Coppelia's character, strong, formal, and mysterious all in one shot. Oh, this brings up another point. I have never found a fanfiction that relies on so many OCs that actually enhance the value of the story. Generally, OCs feel a bit flat compared to the characters taken from the actual work the story is based on, but I have yet to find one of your characters that doesn't have a 'life' of its own.

By the way, your knowledge on such opposite subjects is fascinating. The Samsara/Jinling chapters really display this, because there are so many little nuances there that strike me as rather elegantly placed, so that we don't even notice it.

Since this has become rather lengthy, I'll sign off here. This, by far, is a great piece of writing. Magnificient.
Omega87 chapter 25 . 4/3/2008
O_O Creepy. I thought that sand monster was bad enough, seems like it was the least of their worries! Then you've got people attacking the small creepy little girls, something makes me think thats not going to work out for Egmont...lol.

Looking forward to the next chapter, and seeing what happens with those creepy little girls D.
Omega87 chapter 22 . 1/29/2008
Woohoo new chapters! Sorry I didnt review the last one, I didnt have a chance to finish it entirely before this one came out, but I did read it! P

Anyway this is getting kinda creepy, Jinling is gone AND the gun too? This doesn't look good. She'd probably be safer in the desert at the moment than this lol. Looking forward to the next update, as always!
49 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »