Reviews for Untold Tales of the Mark: The Banishment of Éomer
Lady Kate chapter 2 . 4/29/2013
I really liked the exchange between Eomer and Eowyn here - Eowyn trying to explain why they cannot act against Grima, and Eomer countering that they must act - and the tricky thing is, I feel that both of them are right at least in part.

But for me, the standout line in this chapter was Eomer's: "My own uncle deems me a curse to his house. I am expelled for a deed I haven’t committed, and none of the men I grew up amongst speak against it though they know for the wrongness of these accusations."

Ohhh, that would be very hard to forgive. Perhaps it's not quite any one thing alone that's unforgivable, but all of it together. Theoden being swayed by Grima is bad enough (but understandable from the reader's perspective, since we know what Grima is up to), but to have everyone else stand by and say nothing and do nothing even though they all know it's wrong - THAT would be much harder to bear.
Lady Kate chapter 1 . 4/29/2013
Great opening paragraph, with Theodred talking to Eomer. You have a way of working in a lot of detail to set the scene without it feeling like an infodump.

And - ouch! - that's a painful confrontation with Theoden when Eomer is banished. It made me cringe a bit while reading it - not is Eomer emotionally battered by Theoden casting him out, but it is also a painfully, mortifyingly public display, which just makes it all feel so much worse. Poor Eomer!
excalibur2007 chapter 1 . 12/2/2012
I really loved your story, your characters have so much depth. Some chapters I re-read to understand all the meaning.

I love your Éomer and his nemesis in your narration.
One question, does Éomer truly forgive his uncle?. Im not talking about war considerations, that the Rohirrim must be united...It would be so interesting if he didnt...
He tells his uncle he is grateful for his kindness when they were children, but he gives no answer to a fundamental question.

Thanks for writing this story.
excalibur2007 chapter 75 . 11/29/2012
I'm not surprised Èomer is fed-up with Èothain's self-pity. He even allowed Grima to escape, only one guard, unbelievable!

Èowyn could have killed Grima before she was held captive.

Apart from Éomer, only Firefoot seems to be gifted with some intelligence, sensing Grimas presence. Pity he didnt crush him.
excalibur2007 chapter 60 . 11/26/2012
Eothain's moment at last!
excalibur2007 chapter 52 . 11/25/2012
With each chapter it gets better and better.

You expose the inner doubts of the great leader and his face to face with the ugly cold fact that death is the same for all, the brave and the weak, the mighty and the common people.
The storm of his emotions in the midst of the storm of Nature, simply brilliant.

Your Eothain is not the stupid brute as in other stories, he has his own depth, but he is still doomed to be a pale reflection of Eomer.

Your Grima, pathetic and horrid at the same time, with the needs of any man, is a great achievement.
The moment he sees himself as a madman, breathtaking.
excalibur2007 chapter 34 . 11/20/2012
Loved confrontation with uruk-hai.
You are amazing writing battle scenes.
excalibur2007 chapter 23 . 11/18/2012
Trapped by the story. Fight with uruk-hai amazing.

Your Grima, a very interesting character. They all underestimate him.
Thanwen chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
"Théodred looked remarably health despite the fact that he had been slain at the Fords of the Isen four days ago..."

Woman, and even if I had not been interested in the story at all, that bit of dry humour would have me glued to it! :-D

Certainly a very "Rohirric" way to start a story: It's hopeless, so at least let's not take it too serious. ;-)

Now I just have to hope for some quiet moments to be able to read the tiny rest of 80 chapters. "Forth Eorlingas!" :-DDD
mags chapter 80 . 2/2/2009
any chance of continuing with the "Untold Tales of the Mark" series? this one was good, but it still feels unfinished. you never hear any more about Rohan after they win the Ring War; I'm curious about how you would tell Rohan's tale after the Ring War.
RS chapter 80 . 5/28/2008

I'm not sure if I have ever reviewed this before, but honestly, there was no need. I have been reading this for the last 2 years, and my only complaint is that it is over.

You are a great writer and I hope you carry on with something as good as this.
Dwimordene chapter 80 . 4/29/2008
Finally I've had a chance to read the last chapter!

Skipping down to the very end, I think the choice to end with Éomer's ritual call to arms and the fulfillment of oaths was a good one. I'm not so fond of that moment in the film, but using it here in this story makes a lot of sense to me as a natural capstone to the build-up to departure that has been going on with "Banishment." I think it might work even more effectively if you could insert somehow a sense of resolution for Éowyn that transforms, in her mind at least, her 'treachery' into the fulfillment of a promise - perhaps switching over to her perspective right at the end, or a very distant third person perspective that nevertheless saw her responding with conviction to it, to give a sense that she, too, has been brought at least this far towards healing, that she feels herself part of the fulfilling of oaths. Something to think about, perhaps.

On Théoden-Éomer - I like the formality that marked the beginning of their meeting. Given that they have been on such bad terms, keeping that distance at first is a good dramatic choice: it allows for the scene to build up tension as the formality of the whole thing wars with Éomer's desire somehow to achieve reconciliation. I like the idea of the toast, too - common purpose, common hope, and a nice reference to the notion that common tables were a very serious matter once upon a time: to break bread or share wine was a duty of hospitality and a sign of friendship. I think, though, that you could make more of that, and do it, in fact, by cutting down on the speech explicitly devoted to apologies. Given the tension, if Théoden asks Éomer if there is anything else, and Éomer is the one to make a move towards a toast, that could be enough, right there, to show that reconciliation has been achieved - it would involve getting that sense of the importance of such acts to come to the fore, and also perhaps more non-verbal cues between the two men, but I think it could really work well as a powerful scene.

Congratulations on finishing the story! I know what a lovely feeling that is! Thanks very much for the ride!
Neume Indil chapter 80 . 4/23/2008
I am left breathless. (And yes, I'm still alive and kicking!) What a journey this has been!
acacia59601 chapter 80 . 4/15/2008
Inspiring chapter and wonderful story! Very well done, I enjoyed every bit of it!
dferveiro chapter 80 . 4/15/2008
Wow, it's over! I thought it was interesting you didn't write the battle and Eowyn confronting the witch king, but it worked-why rewrite it? Anyway, this has been a great story. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your talent!