Reviews for Casualties
Ogro chapter 136 . 3/21/2015
Oh my goddddddddd.

I should have read this when it was first posted. For that, I'm so sorry for this review coming so late. I don't know if you'll even read this!

But all in all, this was a beautifully detailed story from start to finish. Your strengths have always been world building and character development and emotional gut punches and UrGHH. I admire you and your writing so much. One day, I'll probably go back and reread this from start to finish (for the third time, honestly. I don't do that much with fanfics, you know, especially those that are THIS BIG).

The ending was so sad, but also strangely fulfilling. I love how Isaac plans to meet Lini again in the real world (if that's what the voice was referring to?). Just... great job. It has all been tied together so well.

The only thing I want to see is a reunion between the five of them. Do they all remember what happened in Ivalice, or is it just Isaac? Even just a short scene acknowledging it would have been nice, I dunno.

Anyway, you've certainly acquired quite a lot of fans. ] I remember the days where I was the only one reviewing. I'm so happy for you, and wish you all the best in all your future writing!
SarcasticallySatyrical chapter 35 . 8/8/2014
Probably already heard tons about this story and this chapter, but it's freaking amazing! And the fight's very, very well done. Good job!
MrMagicFox chapter 136 . 1/15/2014
This was an amazing story. It's one of the longest ones that I have read since I have been on this site. I think that it took me about a year and a half to read this entire story. Loved all of your characters and the way you structured this story, with all the areas of action, humor, romance, and friendship. Finding a gem like this story you have written, is very rare, you have a unique way of writing that is incredible. You have done an amazing job with this, I hope to see more work from you later.
Larkae chapter 136 . 1/15/2014
I've been reading this off and on for a few years now and I can confidently say this is one of the best stories fanfiction and otherwise I have ever read. There's always this moment at the end of books where you feel empty like you've just said goodbye to a portion of your life and I've never thought I would experience this from a story on FF. Anyway thank you so much for writing and finishing this story, I hope to buy and read an original novel from you in the future
darrelodin chapter 136 . 11/17/2013
This was incredible to read. I don't think I've ever read something like this, even from published writers. God, I hate sounding corny, but it was just so perfect! Your characters hit all the right notes, you pulled heart strings at the best moments, and all the while, it never felt forced.

I won't pretent I know how to criticize this story, seeing as I'm no writer myself. The only thing I feel I can mark against you is your ending. Not how you got to it, because that was perfect. It's that you ended it with that dreaded "and the rest of (character x)'s story is up to you." That sort of ending is such a turnoff, because unless the writer tells the reader what happened, or suggested what will happen, nothing the reader imagines will be doing the story justice. It's endings like these that cause horrible fanfiction to be written. I'm sure your level of writing didn't happen over night (does anything?), so you obviously faced the same issues every writer has. All I ask is that when you do write your own story, using your own, original ideas, please don't end it this way. It might just be me, but I like reading about how the characters turned out. It gives closure.

Anyway, I'll end this here by telling you three things. 1) You deserve much more recognition for this story then the number of reviews give you. 2) When you write your stories, give a note about this one. 3) It was inspiring to read this.
Gliched chapter 136 . 10/20/2013
Well, it's been a few years and a lot of life since I last picked this epic up, and managed to reread it all in a week and 2-3 days, finally getting to the ending.. It's been a hell of a ride, and now I got the opening track to FFTA in my mind.. Well done, icey. A rather candid ending I suppose the word is, but it sure as hell works. I can't really say anything that hasent already been said before at this point though, can I? Regardless.. Well done, and just so ya know, I would be more then happy to buy a written copy of this myself- it really is that good, to me at least
Logan chapter 136 . 9/30/2013
I know I'm not the only one thinking this, what with the fact that I've followed this story, literally, for years, I pray that you find it in you to do a proper epilogue. this story has been with my the entirety of my military career, and as this story comes to a close, so does my service. over four years...by the time I get out it'll be closer to five. baffling when you think about how so much time has passed, but at the same time, I only wonder what the future holds for Isaac and company.

yes, I know, that the game at this point ends...but you even meet marche and mewt in the sequel...also I must confess, Lini was by far my favorite character and I loved the story in the game. I was ecstatic to see her brought to life in this story as well, but as someone with, frankly, no imagination...I cant even begin to speculate in a way that satisfies me.

still I want to say that you have done one of the most incredible jobs writing a fiction piece that I have ever seen, since I first came to all those many, many years ago...I believe we're even approaching a decade, in fact.

so from the bottom of a fellow writer's heart. thank you for reminding us all, that everything is a game, that war truly is hell, and that there will always be casualties for people like me to step to the challenge and mend and heal.

-yours truly, and forever Steadfast and Loyal-
-a humble combat medic-
Fan of the Phantom chapter 136 . 9/27/2013
Well, done. Well, done.
Jizzy chapter 136 . 9/15/2013
Brilliant story; Kept me enraptured throughout the entire thing and definitely something I would read again.

I have to say though, I expected more... Closure? Everything being completely reset not even leaving memories behind feels like such a cop-out - I'm left with a burning need for some, any, kind of epilogue.
JBPuffin413 chapter 136 . 8/22/2013
...Dear God. That's the end.

I spent a full THREE DAYS after school reading this thing, and now...it's done...

1200000000000/1. Best story I've ever read, anywhere.
Panther Hardraad chapter 136 . 8/16/2013
Will there be morre sir. Please tell me there will be more.
Sage Junior chapter 30 . 8/5/2013
Icey,
If you couldn't tell by the name, I'm the younger brother to the Sage8675 you knew whenever ago that was. As long as I have been writing fanfiction, which has admittedly only been the past three years, I have been hearing about Casualties: how he reviewed it, how well it was written, how intricate and well-planned it was, and, surprisingly frequently, about the magic theory you applied to it. For some reason, none of this managed to get my attention until recently, when my brother informed me that it had ended. Awash with sudden guilt, I came to try the first chapter and see if it caught my interest. At Chapter 28, I forced myself to close Chrome and write the essay I had due. Despite the story being finished, I can't wait to see where you went with this. It's a brilliant story; I'm thrilled that you actually finished it. I think that's about it.
Sage
Jonathan chapter 136 . 7/29/2013
Thank you.

I started reading this story as a nerdy, depressed, twelve-year-old kid, and it inspired me to write my own FFTA story. And discovering writing is the single most influential event in my life; it led me out of depression, and it gave me a dream to follow. And I have you to thank for it.

For seven and a half years I've been following this story. I'm not that insecure little twelve-year-old anymore. I'll be turning 20 in just a few weeks, and I can think of no better sendoff to my teenage years than this beautifully written conclusion to the tale that inspired me to become a writer. What you've created here is no small feat; it is evidence that in spite of all the vapid shipping, regardless of all the poorly thought out, abandoned halfway through stories, fanfiction can be not just good, but nothing short of incredible. Your story ranks among some of the best pieces of fiction I've ever read, and I sincerely hope to read more of what you write in the future.

And so I say goodbye to Isaac, Ben, and Max; to Eileen, Jacqueline, and Thomas; to Lini, Montblanc, and Marche. You've created some of my favorite characters, and given all sorts of depth to already existing ones, and I can't say I'm not a little sad to see them go. But the end has been coming for a long time now, and it's been one hell of a ride.

Once again, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
argentorum chapter 136 . 7/25/2013
Good show, good show! You've done it. The best FFTA story (in my opinion anyway) has come to a close. You brought it all together, and, I agree with you, this story has been a ride.

I can't possibly convey how much fun reading this story has been. I've loved this story from the confusion and fun that filled the early chapters, to the heartrending sacrifices that brought this story to its end, for every one of those Six Hundred and eighty thousand, Eight hundred and fifty five words.

It was funny, it was sad, it was lighthearted and it was meaningful.
It was the story of might and magic, and what it means to fight for an ideal. It was the story of desperate times and desperate measures. It was the story of children growing up, and realizing that the bright and beautiful world is not as pure as it once seemed.

Most of all, this story... was a kupo one.
kira09 chapter 136 . 7/24/2013
It has felt longer then 7 years since I began reading this magnificient story every time a chapter came out me and my kids would hole ourselves on our phones and read it. My youngest cried quite a bit at the end _;

I read this 2 hours after its release but at the end I couldn't find the words to express myself. I tried but... argh dammit! I can't explain HOW it affected me heck! I went and reread your entire story again to try to erite something meaningful.

But... how can I express my feelings to you when I can't understand them myself? I mean I felt empty? No more like I couldn't settle ON any feeling because I felt Happy for his return, Sad for the revelation, ANGER at Li Grim!, Sorrow at his Lost, Heartbreak at Issac's Meeting with Both Totemas, excitement at the fight!, confusion at the Ending! And Lost/Solemn at Thomas's Last gift... they ll warred at me when I read that line Wishing to express themselves YET yet I couldn't no matter how hard I tried I lost the ability to show emotion while I worked through WHAT I read something I have never done before. (And hope to never do again)

I couldn't in good faith risk to post anything because I couldn't trust my words at the time.

Yet I feel that I can say something despite how badly it captures my feeling and because you deserve it writing in this obscure bit of fiction bringing us this wonder and Because its true.

Thank you.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart and my kids heart for writing and bringing this work of art to us and everyone it couldn't have been simple nor without its trouble but what you wrote I will always look back fondly and remember.

Truly Thank You.

I really had hoped to write something to express myself better but I can't. I hope you don't mind my half ass review.