Reviews for Back to the Future Prequel
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 1 . 9/24/2014
I really love this story. It's the most detailed origin story ever and very original while still acknowledging that this meeting could have only gone this way in the improved 1985 timeline while the canon origin. Story happened in the old 1985 timeline. My only criticism is that this needs to be split up into different chapters.
erica.phoenix16 chapter 1 . 2/18/2014
Aww...what a sweet story about how Marty and Doc became friends.:)
TenRose Holmes chapter 1 . 11/9/2013
wow, this was the best BttF fanfic that ive read... u should really continue(PLEASE!)
TrekkieL chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
Loved it! Great story and i love the suspence in there!
Siaren chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Omg cry... :'-(
abc135 chapter 1 . 6/10/2011
This story was absolutely adorable and had me in tears quite a few times. Definantly the best fanfiction I've read in a long time.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 2/25/2011
All I can say is that... This the first story I've had to hold in tears. The drama, the excitement, the loving friendship between Marty and Doctor Brown, and the heart breaking moments really exploded with emotion. I imagined every scene like it was a real movie, and I even saw Doc helping young Marty read. Very amazing story with a heart warming touch, and really almost got me to the point of tears.
angorianwolf chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
This was so amazing! I can't find a way to describe how and why I loved it so much, just that I did! Amazing job!
Roxy Likewise chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
Really, what a piece of GOLD! I enjoyed this. I completely and utterly enjoyed it. Every single piece of BTTF fiction I read will be judged on the basis of this one, I am NOT kidding. So many cute moments! And heartbreaking, too. It was long, it was juicy, and it was well-written and the characters were...well, in-character. Really awesome job.3
chralotte chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
i LOVE this story! It's so adorable and I've been gripped all day :P Well done :)
Taryn Streambattle chapter 1 . 8/1/2009
sniff sniff. AWESOME STORY!1
ClockworkScales chapter 1 . 4/18/2009
This story is absolutely incredible.

Having just discovered Back to the Future a few weeks ago, I watched it and since then have re watched it many times, knowing lines and scenes off my heart. I was never one for favorite movies, I always dismissed the favorite movie/book/whatever deal because I felt it unfair to put down other things, especially when many of them, I found, to have a similar effect on me.

Never before have I had a favorite movie, and immediately I knew Back to the Future was mine. I never realized what my favorite movie was until I saw it and now I truly hope I'll be able to watch the sequels. In fact, I plan to.

But onto your story, I just wanted to give you some sort of impression Back to the Future as a film has had on me.

I really enjoy your writing style, and although the length of the story was great, I read a few reviews and decided I'd best read it. I am incredibly glad I did and within a few pages I was hooked. I adore your characterization you give to each of the characters (ignoring Hank, Bill and Michael, but I'll get to them later) - especially Doc and Marty. Being the main characters, their characterization is certainly the most important and you made Marty as a child believable and lovable - the same goes for Doc's childhood and his stories.

I adored and admired the depth you gave each of these characters, it was incredibly enjoyable to read. I loved the realism you gave Doc's background - if you had written it any differently - like, from another character's perspective per se - it would have been really dry and difficult to properly comprehend. You wouldn't be able to feel the same empathy. But then, I could rant forever about characterization techniques - and how stories should be told from the correct perspectives - you've done that.

One thing I noticed was how you leapt from Marty to Emmett's perspectives - at the start it was Marty and eventually it sifted to Emmett, (occasionally jumping back to Marty - but the focus was primarily Emmett's story) and then giving a final burst of Marty at the end. I sound like I'm advertising chocolate or something... delicate chocolate coating bursting with creamy, delicious caramel... blah blah blah.

I really like how you refer to the Doctor as Emmett a lot of the time, as most stories (including the one I am in the process of writing) write from the Doctor's perspective as Doc and... I find it incredibly unlikely the Doc refers to himself as his nickname. Nobody does that. It also makes the reader feel closer to the Doc.

Also, when you wrote the The Doctor, I kept thinking of Doctor Who, but unfortunately when you have stories like this, you can't help but do that sometime - I did get over it, however.

I'm writing such a long review because I really want to express my honest and gratitude for the story - it is by far the best Back to the Future story I have read (even though I have not read all that many), and you deserve more praise than have received.

I learned a few words in this story - deciding that my vocabulary was pathetically small and I really should be putting an effort in.

Anyway, moving on from the praise... I have a few criticisms for this story, mainly concerning the characters against Emmett and Marty - who continuously rave about how bad Emmett is, completely oblivious to the other character's spoken word. With Bill and Michael, I think it's excusable and more believable, because kids are often blinded and stay firm in their beliefs unless given inscrutable evidence.

Hank's character I found continously questioning and wondering upon his motives. I found his actions unrealistic. Sure, he's upset about his sister, but do grudges honestly go that far without some sort of consistent... well... I'm trying to explain this correctly. Unless some other bad thing happened to support his notion that The Doc was crazy, I find it very sad and pathetic that Hank continues to harass Emmett, after all these years. However, I do find the reactions from the other characters believable... I just continually questioned Hank's older character.

I understand the story wouldn't exist without his character, so to change his character would change the story completely. However... I distinctly remember Emmett mentioning something other happening to Hank - but, we never hear what this is. I think it would really help if we heard more about Hank's background, that could possibly aggravate his dislike of Emmett. Were his parents alcoholic? Did he have a father or family member who liked science and he didn't like his guts? Thus projecting this relatives image onto Emmett and heightening his irritation...?

As for a few other points... and for this I will be quoting parts of your story because they are specific sections.

Marty discovered that night that his new punishment repealed his television privileges for an extra week.

I looked up the definition for repealed, and the definitions contained a different wording for the following:

# revoke: cancel officially; "He revoked the ban on smoking"; "lift an embargo"; "vacate a death sentence"

# abrogation: the act of abrogating; an official or legal cancellation

A repeal is the removal or reversal of a law. This is generally done when a law is no longer effective, or it is shown that a law is having far more negative consequences than were originally envisioned.

I assume you meant that Marty's punishment was an extension of the no-television punishment. If this were the case, wouldn't a different word be better?

Hank whipped open the barrel only to find that there were no bullets left.

Maybe this quote is just pointing to the fact that Hank is a blind idiot, but if you were going to pick up a gun and plan to kill somebody, wouldn't you check if there were bullets in the barrel? Despite the seriousness of this scene, I couldn't help laughing for that reason.

“You really think I’d try to kill you? I’m not like you. By the way, someday I’ll really get even with you for what you did to Holly. You hear?”

Hank says this - obviously. But, this is just pointing out the other flaw of Hank's character. Well, I think it's a flaw, anyway. It seems he's saying "Oh, I'm being nice to you. I'm not like you. I don't kill people like your Doctor. But, by the way, I'm going to kill you now."

He's just contradicting himself... Again, I strongly question Hank's character. He just seems to be one of those characters without much depth who just happens to get in the way of things. That's what he seems like to me, and again, I'd like to say again that I think Hank's character would be a lot more believable if we had some more background knowledge.

And finally...

The responsibility was far too awesome, and it was not his place to take it.

I like that you use the word awesome in its most original form, however, I had to re-read that sentence twice because of it - as I do nowadays - because Western Culture uses "awesome" in another form of the word "cool"... But, I like that you used this form of the word.

I'd also like to comment on the innuendo on this story, and you really have to be a certain age to get it - but I like that you incorporated an underlying sexual story or nature to the Doc... and the other characters and their innuendos. Anyway, with Emmett, the one I'm referring to is when he looks at the spit Marty has left on his trouser leg and how, for a line, he says it reminded him of something he didn't want to think about...

That was a nice touch.

Anyway, this is by far the longest review I've ever written and I truly hope you take your time reading it as... it does concern your story, obviously.

Again I want to thank you for uploading and writing this story. I'll remember it and I wish I could Favorite this story 500 times, because it means more to me than the other stories in my favorite list. It's like Favorite-Beta, or something.

Thanks again, and thanks for reading this.
jason chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
this story was amazing. you'll be a well known author one day! the perfect story with the perfect trilogy!
EmmettMcFly55 chapter 1 . 5/8/2008
This is one of the longest one-chapter-stories I've ever read, but it's really good! I also hope you write more one day. It's a great story!
Rebell chapter 1 . 1/2/2008
Hey hey! This is so cool!

I love seeing little Marty and Doc interacting, even more so getting to see Doc's thoughts about meeting the six year old version of the seventeen year old kid he met in 1955... Oy... time travel plays hell on sentences, doesn't it?

Anyways... This is the work of a genius here!

I like how you incorporated the 'chicken' thing in here, even though Marty was only six. It just adds the little extra touch.

And Doc's past is so sad... I could just hug the guy...

All in all, a very long, satisfying fic.. beautifully written!