Reviews for Human Monsters
Jenjoremy chapter 1 . 3/15
This was fantastic. So nice seeing John be a caring, awesome Dad. Dean being the vulnerable victim just about broke my heart.
Violaze chapter 1 . 1/15
Very nicely done. So good to see a fic showing John as a loving father rather than a dispassionate drill sergeant.
Bookworm85 chapter 1 . 1/2
Great drama. I loved your portrayal of John- he was the father that his boys needed. That was so sweet that Sam was watching over him on the car ride. "I think Dean needs both of us watching over him right now." You did a good job with Dean's recounting of what happened- it was heartbreaking and realistic without being graphic.

This was a great line: In his head, he knew, Sam was still "the baby." Frozen in time at the moment his mother had been killed. The moment that had stopped time for John Winchester.

The description of Dean crawling into his father's bed was also sweet, John allowing Dean to get comfortable in the bed.
Clara Brighet chapter 1 . 10/22/2016
That. Was. BEAUTIFUL.
*silent screaming*
I am so full of emotions right now. I had to stop reading this like three times and then come back to it I was so overwhelmed. ahhhhh
You write the boys beautifully, and you handled your subject matter tastefully. So many fics go overboard with the gritty details, to the point that they are become absurd, macabre, or just plain awful to read. But not this one.
You handled John wonderfully as well. I do wonder if he would have been so gentle with the boys - I surely hope so, and I certainly enjoyed imagining them that way.
Thank you for characterizing both Dean and Sam. Fanfic writers often seem to pass over whichever brother isn't the 'focus' of their story, and highlight only the strengths of one and the weaknesses of the other. I was delighted to see the way you drew out the protector in Sammy, and the vulnerable side of Dean (without turning them into one-sided, single-emotion characters, as is so easy to do).
Also (I just can't stop), your descriptions were fantastic. Not too long, not too short - juuuust right. ;) I could clearly see everything that was happening, I could FEEL what you wanted me to feel, but I didn't feel bogged down in descriptions. Excellent.
I have a feeling I will be rereading this story more than once.
Lovely, lovely, lovely piece. Thank you for writing!
~ Clara Brighet
LeeMarieJack chapter 1 . 11/7/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review:

An excellent description of Winchester childhood, the factors that molded them, the trials they had to bear. If only all brothers could build the trust and the comfort that these two brothers seem to share families would be strong and brotherhood would become a bond that could keep children safe.

The story is well written and paced; exciting and attention grabbing at the beginning then beguiling and full of love as it winds down to the end. Wonderful work.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 11/3/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review:

Extremely well-written, the attention to the detail of characterisation, of mood and pace lifting it out of the ordinary easily. The choices of tenses, in particular, were seamless and gave the required information without the need for details, which with the focus of the story, would have been irrelevant.

The characterisation of all three Winchesters was very realistic. As children, it was easy to see the young men they grew into, as we met them in the first season, and John was perfectly flawed, knowing what he'd done, regretting it, but unable to make a different choice.

Excellent writing, storytelling and a beautiful piece of Winchester history!
No Demand for Truth chapter 1 . 6/22/2015
All the characters were just right, the way they should be at this time, in this situation for what we know of their later lives. This is an exceptional story I wish every fan would read. This is John Winchester, not perfect, not a bastard. Just human. Just a father. Thanks for writing!
sammygirl1963 chapter 1 . 4/10/2015
So glad I have decided to check out some of your other Supernatural Stories! This one is just awesome. I think Sam was written perfectly as I can see him not letting his feelings go until John arrived...and then I loved the way that little brother became the protective brother until Dean was able to handle things on his own once again!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
Can't believe I hadn't found this story before, you wrote it perfectly, not overdramatising it which would have detracted from the subject matter. Could so imagine Sammy waiting stoically for John and then wanting to watch and take care of his brother after Dean was found, letting him win at checkers and wrestling. And can see that, after what he had been through, and seeing how his little brother was smart and strong he would want him to start training with him as that would help protect Sammy. Also loved how you wrote John, he was a loving and caring father but didn't often show it with his obsession at finding what had killed Mary, but his conversation with Dean and the way he was with his boys is how I pictured him.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
this is one of the few fics i've read that doesn't paint john as a horrible father and i love that.i don't believe that john was bad,i think he was confused and didn't have anybody to teach him better.i mean sam's complains have always been about the training and the constant hunts,but he deeply loved his dean ,well dean must've known the way his dad had been struggling with everything and that's why he always made sure not be an additional burden.
jazzy chapter 1 . 8/17/2013
well done. :)
kasey123 chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
love it
Anna Hood chapter 1 . 12/31/2010
This story was really told the fellings and exsprestions of John and great ending.
CanadaNL chapter 1 . 7/15/2010
Great story!
Entrelac chapter 1 . 9/12/2009
A truly nightmare-inducing topic, handled VERY expertly. I'm probably repeating what others have said, but I really like how you showed John's ability to be caring. It gives him a depth - a realness - that other stories sometimes lack.

And this was your first time delving into the world of Supernatural? Wow. Most impressive. :) Thank you for writing this!