Reviews for Human Monsters
LeeMarieJack chapter 1 . 11/7/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review:

An excellent description of Winchester childhood, the factors that molded them, the trials they had to bear. If only all brothers could build the trust and the comfort that these two brothers seem to share families would be strong and brotherhood would become a bond that could keep children safe.

The story is well written and paced; exciting and attention grabbing at the beginning then beguiling and full of love as it winds down to the end. Wonderful work.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 11/3/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review:

Extremely well-written, the attention to the detail of characterisation, of mood and pace lifting it out of the ordinary easily. The choices of tenses, in particular, were seamless and gave the required information without the need for details, which with the focus of the story, would have been irrelevant.

The characterisation of all three Winchesters was very realistic. As children, it was easy to see the young men they grew into, as we met them in the first season, and John was perfectly flawed, knowing what he'd done, regretting it, but unable to make a different choice.

Excellent writing, storytelling and a beautiful piece of Winchester history!
No Demand for Truth chapter 1 . 6/22/2015
All the characters were just right, the way they should be at this time, in this situation for what we know of their later lives. This is an exceptional story I wish every fan would read. This is John Winchester, not perfect, not a bastard. Just human. Just a father. Thanks for writing!
sammygirl1963 chapter 1 . 4/10/2015
So glad I have decided to check out some of your other Supernatural Stories! This one is just awesome. I think Sam was written perfectly as I can see him not letting his feelings go until John arrived...and then I loved the way that little brother became the protective brother until Dean was able to handle things on his own once again!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
Can't believe I hadn't found this story before, you wrote it perfectly, not overdramatising it which would have detracted from the subject matter. Could so imagine Sammy waiting stoically for John and then wanting to watch and take care of his brother after Dean was found, letting him win at checkers and wrestling. And can see that, after what he had been through, and seeing how his little brother was smart and strong he would want him to start training with him as that would help protect Sammy. Also loved how you wrote John, he was a loving and caring father but didn't often show it with his obsession at finding what had killed Mary, but his conversation with Dean and the way he was with his boys is how I pictured him.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
this is one of the few fics i've read that doesn't paint john as a horrible father and i love that.i don't believe that john was bad,i think he was confused and didn't have anybody to teach him better.i mean sam's complains have always been about the training and the constant hunts,but he deeply loved his dean ,well dean must've known the way his dad had been struggling with everything and that's why he always made sure not be an additional burden.
jazzy chapter 1 . 8/17/2013
well done. :)
kasey123 chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
love it
Anna Hood chapter 1 . 12/31/2010
This story was really told the fellings and exsprestions of John and great ending.
CanadaNL chapter 1 . 7/15/2010
Great story!
Entrelac chapter 1 . 9/12/2009
A truly nightmare-inducing topic, handled VERY expertly. I'm probably repeating what others have said, but I really like how you showed John's ability to be caring. It gives him a depth - a realness - that other stories sometimes lack.

And this was your first time delving into the world of Supernatural? Wow. Most impressive. :) Thank you for writing this!
stilljustceci chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
This was hard to read. God. As the mother of a young boy, that would be my worst nightmare. Rather have the boy be eaten by a werewolf than chained in a basement and... see, I can't even type it. Monstrous. Of all the things Dean has seen and endured, I can imagine the nightmares from this one would be among the worst.

What got me the most:

That it was going to be Sam, but Dean literally wrestled him out of the predator's arms. OMG.

And Dean crawling into bed with his dad. That SO got me. (I used to crawl into bed with my mom- geez, right at about that age too- after the worst nightmares. And then one night, I dreamed about fighting zombies. One of those horrifyingly long dreams that feels like you were in the dreams for days, weeks. And at the very end, when I'd finally fought my way back home and locked myself in my house, wanting to feel safe there, my family came in and they were all zombies. I remember their heads rolling down the stairs after I'd killed them. And then I ran into my mother's room sobbing and she was on the bed and opened her arms to me and hugged me... and then (OF COURSE) I looked up at her and she was a zombie, too. I woke up then, and lay curled up in my bed til morning crying. I wanted to go to her so bad, and I just couldn't. I never did again. Sigh. The beginning of angsty puberty.

Anyway, yeah. Lots of big ole emotional hot buttons in this.

I like the way you ended it though. Such an elemental part of their character dynamic.

This was a brave and really, really well done first fic. KUDOS.
Becomingwhaturmeantobe chapter 1 . 3/21/2009
I love this, John POVs are great and this was just heartbreaking. Nice cross with Prison Break though, T-Bag definitely deserved to get shot by John. Poor Dean.
Annonie chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
Someone just rec'd this on a site and i'm so glad they did. For your first spn fic the characterization is spot on. I especially liked it how Sam watched over Dean for a while.
thevigilante15 chapter 1 . 3/17/2008