Reviews for Fading into the Light
Amokitty chapter 1 . 5/28/2007
I've enjoyed this story since you first posted it at CBR, Joey. Sadly that was quite some time ago. I also promised you I'd review, and was quite a while back, too. Please forgive my extreme tardiness. I have found this hard to do...

What I love about this story (and your work in general) is that you convey emotion that genuinely captures the reader's heartstrings, with no need of contrived situations or dialogue to bring this about. Your inate understanding of the human condition makes us identify with Doug, and to a different extent - you.

Basing this off the backstory from New Mutants Annual #6 was a great idea. It was the last truly exceptional Doug story in canon. You expand on that story by adding Doug's thoughts on Kitty and Betsy (something that SHOULD have happened in canon), and it gives the reader a little stroll down memory lane. I really liked that! Doug's feelings toward Kitty and Betsy aren't unnecessarily harsh, but warranted. He's grieving for HIS loss of THEM, and not the other way around. Powerful.

I think using the girl to help Doug come to grips with his situation was quite clever, and last few lines have always made me teary... especially now, as this is Memorial Day.

A beautifully written piece that expresses so much with so little.

God bless you, my friend. You're missed.
Kenne Morrison1 chapter 1 . 1/6/2006
Here's the review I thought I'd already given. This is a great piece. It's sad, but very poetic. Makes me wish Doug very much. I hope you keep writing. I like your views on the characters and how you interpret them. You've got a strong grasp on character development.
Harry2 chapter 1 . 12/20/2005
An interesting little piece. I like the way that you had Doug give some help and encouragement to the little girl before he left.