Reviews for The Night's Eye
Larner chapter 1 . 11/10/2008
Such a beautiful tale, and one so proper to this people and Halbarad's family.

Thank you.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
I really really liked this one shot. Thanks!
MiniFruitbat chapter 1 . 8/21/2006
The Dúnedain! And since it's so well-written, I have to love it. Funnily enough, I use a Fîriel in two of my stories...

Righty-o, I'm off to see what else you've written.
Eruannath chapter 1 . 1/30/2006
What a sad tale, Vana. Very well written (as always) but so sad :( I like the Firiel's rhyme... and the imagery of Halbarad visiting his son for a last good-bye *tear*
Wayfarer chapter 1 . 12/28/2005
Not bad, not bad at all )

You might want to watch out for the long sentences though, as the phrasing in some make them seem like overruns. Eg 1st para: "From his stool near the fire Haldan watched, heedless of the peg he was to be mending, as his mother coaxed the window-candle's wick to light. Firiel stood for a moment, silent and still as the night, watching the flickering flame slowly strengthen, then turned to meet her son's gaze."

Might work better for eg, if the second sentence was broken off into another para "Firiel stood for a moment, silent and still as the night, watching the flickering flame slowly strengthen. Then she turned to meet her son's gaze."

Also the opening sentence re-ordered a bit: "From his stool near the fire Haldan watched his mother coaxed the window-candle's wick to light, heedless of the peg he was to mend."

Always a pleasure reading your works - I wish I was as prolific.

~W

P.S. if you're still interested in ITDA, I have to apologise for further update delay - RL whupped us another solid round - my webmail server flatlined for a few months, and just got back online. The grind is, I kept all my drafts in there, and now everything's wiped out! I have to commission a total recall session ... know anyone good with this stuff?
perelleth chapter 1 . 12/24/2005
YEp! those that are leff behnd the lies and not sung of. it was very moving to think that Halbarad had a wife and a son waiting for him... And the origin of the tradition is very fitting... keeping the faith was a day to day task for the dunedain along their long years, and not the priviliege of Arwen and Aragorn... Very moving, Vana!