Reviews for Past Lives and Crises
reader304 chapter 1 . 4/22/2009
One tiny factual error: in Alaska you don't have sunny days near the winter solstice. Remember the episode "Northern Lights"?
Romeobytes chapter 1 . 11/15/2007
I really liked this story. You really captured the NeX humor and dialogue. The only thing you need to fix is, when you transition to a new scene, start a new paragraph, tell us where you switched to. Good story. Submit another chapter soon.
Darth Soror chapter 1 . 5/11/2007
Wow - you think you can continue this or write another one? I enjoyed it a lot! And I loved how when Maggie was still looking for her nutcracker Chris played that U2 song for her XD

So through this, I was wondering...what do you believe about death? Because you had it like fact that you're both reincarnated and that there was a Great Flood...personally, I believe in heaven...I'm a Christian.
CelticWZ chapter 1 . 6/6/2005
You know, I always wanted to write an NE fic, but I don't think that I could write the dilogue as well as you did. Shame that there isn't more...
RA'AY'MOND chapter 1 . 1/26/2005
Great story. It reads just like the cast on the original show would have played it out. Racine was a great (temporary?) addition to Cicely. The story kind of leaves the reader hanging. I believe that you asked us (the readers) to help by suggesting some possible endings. How about having Ed going into the “Candle Trance” and asking some of his past, and or future selfs for help with his “latest” crisis in faith. While in the trance state he encounters only one person. A vary older, nearly ancient version of his present self. This older-Ed tells himself that although he is a “young soul” (only one incarnation, no past lives) in his current life he goes through all of learning to become an enlighten soul. He does not have any karma to work off. Although, because of the appearance of his future self, it is quit evident that he will become a shaman. Future Ed does not give present Ed any clues as too which way too go with his life. Also, if you wanted to get “mushy”, at the very end or epilog of this Fan Fiction you can have Present Ed tell Joel that his future self mention too him that the good doctor will find the nut cracker. However, he never returns it. Token of love of that once belonged to Maggie, bla,bla,bla. You might also want to have Racine tell Joel that he and Maggie bump into each other over the course of several life times. Until they get it right. When Joel asks what she means by that Racine gracefully removes her self from the scene, and or the town without ever clarifying. Hope that helps. Please, keep writing NX fanfics.
fanofsmith chapter 1 . 8/25/2004
Cool premise and a fun read. I enjoyed it very much :)
Rick Sazon chapter 1 . 8/18/2003
I think you captured the spirit of Northern Exposure. The dialogue was dead-on. How about joel finding out his connection with Maggie throughout all those past lives?
cindy c chapter 1 . 6/24/2003
I love this-it really could slip right in as episode of the got everyones quirks just right.
fanofsmith chapter 1 . 4/22/2003
Whoa-you could've easily written for the show-excellent story and really true to NE. Loved it!
LastPenguin chapter 1 . 11/2/2002
Excellent. It's hard to portray characters that are so thoroughly defined, but you've done an impeccable job of doing it. Great nostalgic sentiment for the show itself. The ending was perfect, although maggie's issue with the lost nutcracker just dropped off and didn't quite fit to begin with after you mentioned Racile.
Ostercy chapter 1 . 5/18/2002
I liked it, although if I wasn't a fan of NX I probably wouldn't be able to understand what was going on and who was who. You might need a few page breaks like (* * * *), and I think the ending is kind of left in mid air a bit.
Diane chapter 1 . 3/4/2002
Cool story! Interesting premise and the characters are well defined- the dialogue really sounds like them! Thanks!
Liselle chapter 1 . 12/11/2001
You're an excellent writer, all the characters seemed very much themselves... but you really believe in past lives? It's not that I think it's impossible, but everyone always thinks they were someone famous, and there really weren't that many famous people to go around... seems unlikely. I also have no idea how you could end this story... sorry! Really enjoyed it though!
Infiniteskyes chapter 1 . 7/19/2001
I liked the story.
Beth chapter 1 . 6/15/2001
Like the premise of the story. Characters are pretty true to form as well.

Read something similar in Asimov's a few months ago where a man had a psychiatrist keep putting a subconscious suggestion in his mind for all his past lives to meet on a certain date and when he is put under on that date all his past lives come wandering in, sort of like your story and they all get to meet if only in his mind.

You really need to finish this! I want to read more about Racine and why she wants to meet her former lives and what will she take with her when she leaves, if she leaves.