Reviews for On a Holiday Night
aprilgirl01 chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
This is excellent! I often wonder what happens to the non-Christian kids over Christmas break, and i htink you portrayed it beautifully.
Amarenima Redwood chapter 1 . 1/20/2014
Thank you! I can't believe that I never connected the name Goldstein! And I work with the member records at my synagogue!
HebrewShira chapter 1 . 1/17/2014
I was truly inspired by what you wrote in this story. Amidst a gentile world often the Jewish voice goes unnoticed- covered up by stereo types and antisemitism. I loved how you tackled the idea of tradition vs being a modern Jew and the true meaning of Judaism. Personally I empathized with Snape- not following the religion for tradition, but for ethics and morality, but being on of the only Jews in my school I felt for Anthony Goldstein as well. Btw Zacharias Smith is Jewish- so was his ancestor Hepzibah Smith- the names are common Hebrew names from the time of Judea.
Mazel Tov on a fantastic story
לחים
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 7/3/2013
Wow. Brilliant idea...
Kailey Hamilton chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
I know this story is old, but a review never does get old.

Going to be honest and say that I had to double-check to see whether this was a crack!fic or not. I mean, well. Snapowitz. The idea is original - not my cup of tea, I guess, seeing as seeing Snape praying to God, lighting a Menorah and just plain ol' Snapowitz definitely struck me as intentional, priceless humor because of how wildly out of character it results.

Having said this, the actual premise really is interesting to me. I've been wanting to read a Jewish!Anthony story for so long, especially this kind of story in which he struggles with his identity at Hogwarts and I think you portrayed this in a very accurate fashion. He was well-characterized, and other than the stuff I mentioned, Snape's temper comes off as IC as well. I also liked the way you hinted at an Israeli magical community and the way they lived among muggles.
Acciosonicsword chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
that's a good story, I can imagine Snape Jewish, plus I am Jewish too so the story had a meaning, it was well written too.

Klara of Fur and Feathers 77
infinitelyrichandbeautiful chapter 1 . 12/6/2010
Beautiful. It's the sixth night of Hannukkah right now, by the way. When I read the books I never thought of the name, "Goldstein", because it was mentioned only briefly. But it is very Jewish. Really great story. :) happy Hannukkah!
SnapeAngel chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
very nice story
sandybeach6th chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
Aw, how sweet! As a true born Jew I've been looking for something like this in fanfiction, but this was the only Jewish story I could find. SO sweet! I love the idea of Snape being Snapovitz, that's hilarious...great job!

Oh, and HAPPY HANNUKAH!

~Sandy~
Missy Skywalker chapter 1 . 12/21/2008
Incredible story! It really made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, especially because it's the first night of Hannukah. I've spent the last hour trying to find a few decent fictions with a Jewish side, because I am sick of all the Christmas ones.

I can so relate to Anthony. I remember bringing lunch during

Passover, with only a few Jews in the grade, most of whom didn't even care. It made me more determined in my faith, as it does in most of us. I love fictions where I can actually apply my Judiasm to the story-there are so few Jews/Jewish fictions on this site, so I treasure those that are, especially well-written, eloquent ones, such as this.
israeli-american chapter 1 . 12/14/2007
Outstanding...I think you really broke the invisible regarding religion, especially Judaism, in Harry Potter fan fiction,and in fanfiction in general. The way Anthony has become more religiously conscious from being around Gentiles is so real, so true, so the way any of us would act. I, as an Orthodox Jew, tend to feel stronger about religion when I am around non-religious people. And the way everyone's ignorance hurt him was also very powerful, plenty of people hurt other's feelings simply by ignorance. And the way he feels Channukah is overshadowed by Christmas really touched me-I live in Israel, and it wounds me deeply that there are Christmas decorations throughout the streets of Jerusalem over Channukah. Not that I have anything against Christians, but I feel it should be more balanced, not just in Israel but throughout the world. As well, Snape's ideas on the emptiness of religion-they are powerful ideas, with perhaps some slight degree of truth to them, but he must believe-otherwise why does he go to all the of keeping the mitzvot, of staying a Jew, albeit in hiding?

I also liked how you included Israel, and the idea of a magical/muggle kibbutz. the idea of uniting two opposing parties through the feeling of community and selfness-not quite selfness, more like operating as a whole, complete unity-is intriguing, perhaps it could be used to achieve peace between Jews and Muslims, for example...just an idea.

You managed to ask some complex theological questions in not a large amount of words-yet their impact is phenomenal.

Shabbat Shalom,

Alli
LadyLight07 chapter 1 . 7/3/2007
wowee!

Do you know of any Jewish Harry Potter fanfiction?

Seriously, this one is very good. I'm new to fanfiction, as you can see
fan a lot chapter 1 . 7/2/2006
Wow. Snape Jewish. That's kind of fun (if disturbing because now Snape joining the death eaters had even more to rebel against and loathe about himself - at least I'm assuming that most of magical England would be indifferent or anti-semitic). Anthony Goldstein was definitely rigid with his classmates but it was wonderful reading about a Jewish student. I liked Snape's contention that it takes more than blindly following tradition.
Crookshanks22 chapter 1 . 4/23/2006
This is very interesting indeed. I have been toying with the idea of writing an Anthony Goldstein-Terry Boot, Jewish-Christian angst at pagan Hogwarts sort of story, and I did some searches by way of research. Do you know that you are, as far as I can discover, the ONLY writer who has tackled this issue yet? Your story includes some excellent touches, such as the Muggle-magical kibbutz and the notion that living at Hogwarts without fellow Jews has made Anthony more religously conscious, and perhaps more religious, than he otherwise would have been.

I'm a bit puzzled by Snape in this story- I can imagine his being Jewish, perhaps even going so far as to light a hanukkiah, but I'm surprised that he would bother to say the bracha if he thought as slightingly of religious practice as he seems to here.

Anyway, a thought-provoking piece, and I'll be interested if you write anything else along these lines . . .
RADKA chapter 1 . 1/13/2006
Why change the very english name Snape to Snapowitz when there is a perfectly legitimate canon alternative? Snape COULD be half jewish: Prince could well be the anglicized form of Prinz which is a common enough surname among German Jews and Jews of Eastern Europe. Go, Half Blood Prince!