Reviews for My Disjointed Life
God Speaking chapter 37 . 2/22
I've been following this story for years now- enthusiastically waiting for each and every update, completely entranced by this straightforward and comedic writing style and I can say with confidence that you have indeed influenced me not only with writing but also as a person. You've inadvertently pushed me from Pokemon fanfics and to greater things like original works for example (which I've published intermittently on random sites across the net, the most recent ones are on fictionpress).You have to realize that I've found your work at an age where I'm susceptible to drastic changes and you were just that- I'm glad that it was you. If the burden isn't too heavy, please accept the title of being my internet hero, however cheesy it sounds.
Finding out that this chapter finally concludes this story I've grown with, it's sort of a bittersweet moment, you know? And that's what partly prompted me to write this semi-essay. To me, My Disjointed Life was always that story that I never minded whether it updated consistently every month or every year or not at all (just kidding, im thankful you actually finished this) because I always knew I could come back to this and read the available chapters and still have a blast even if the story was never completed. I think we all wish for that, when you realize you're nearing the end of a good book, the spaces between the words become almost infinite and you just want to stay in that universe with the characters you love indefinitely. But we all inevitably move on to other things, such is life. It goes on, [un]fortunately.
So my actual review on the ending: It was OK, relatively speaking. We've all become too accustomed to endings that bring closure, or cut off loose ends and answer some questions or maybe leave an ending open enough to maybe warrant a sequel or follow-up or spin-off. Whatever case, we fail to see what an ending really is: the end of a story arc developed throughout the book. True, what Cloud did isn't a satisfying ending (to some) or what everyone can agree with but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad ending. In the end, it's a decision that's been culminating since square one (the suicide, the betrayal, etc.) and what we can do is come to terms with that and accept that it's his character arc coming full circle.
My Disjointed Life is awesome, made me feel genuine emotions. Looking forward to your future works.
-From a lifelong fan, I will continue to recommend and reread this as the years pass by. Godspeed.
Ricochetback chapter 1 . 2/9
This story was much better without the ending, he tells her she is his dream girl and then suddenly leaves with some really cliche uncertainty bullshit...It just doesn't make sense... Stories can usually be a reflection of things in the author's life... sigh... really disappointed
LovelyPrecedent chapter 37 . 1/3
(Heads up that most of this comment will be Cloud x Tifa)

This is the second time I've read this young adult centric masterpiece. Coming back for the second version I came to realize how enjoyable it is when guys write for this pairing. When us straight chicks convey Cloud's attraction to Tifa or any other woman, it tends to be hit or miss- no offence to anyone. Often Cloud's train of thought delves into this poetic, hyper emotional and intense inner prose about the female sensitivities, like Hamlet (and like my comment haha). But then you get an actual guy writing Cloud's reaction to Tifa and it's just like "DANG those CURVES. I need to tie my shoelaces now!" I love it cause it's so visceral and probably much more realistic for a young man with an intense crush.

Now to wax on about the 'message'. When I read the first version I was still a teen, and after this chapter privately reacted in the exact same way the angry reviewers did below. Injustice! How could he just up and leave like that?! Now reading from the other side of the undergraduate college experience I had this bittersweet epiphany. I now sympathise with Cloud and understand why he panicked and reacted that way, because I did similar stuff in my young college years. I threw good opportunities out the door and burnt some bridges, and had friendships fizzle. At the time I thought it was the best decision, but in truth I hadn't collected enough life experience in the 'real world' to make grounded decisions about these new dilemmas.

Then you have Cloud who was thrown into this whirlwind of drama in his first year of college, experienced betrayal from his brother and first girlfriend, dealt with his classmate's suicide, in addition to surviving in the adult world for the first time. Poor guy just didn't have the emotional resources or life experience at the time to make the best choice. They say our frontal lobes don't fully grow until the mid twenties too. The cruelty is that because this decade is so hectic and full of personal growth, it only takes a couple years of maturing to look back with a different perspective and go "Ohhh if that exact same situation happened again right now I would handle it completely differently!" The postgraduate Cloud after three years may have been able to assess the situation with a bit more chill, and think oh maybe I can try message Tifa and she'll be okay with a long distance thing, she probably likes me enough. But hindsight is 20/20 etc..

Entering young adulthood is tough, hell the entire twenties is a grind. Every year is different and you have no idea what the next will bring and it is true, life at this stage is 'Disjointed' with little closure and hardly any continuity. But it does give you tonnes of uncertainty! I suspect the angry reviewers are a) still yet to experience the ass kicking years following the teens OR b) they are going through that now, or been there done that and just wanted a happy ending because fantasy can give you that.

A sentimental part of me will always wish that Cloud would reconnect with Tifa after a couple years, after he found the ground beneath his feet. I think she will always be the 'one that got away' in his life. However at the end of the day I am a fatalistic realist and believe that if it was meant to be - it would be.

Thanks for this re-experience of a most relateable novel Pendrum !
Dafumanku chapter 37 . 12/9/2017
5 years after I read your book. 10ish after I read your original ff. this still hits very hard. thank you for not changing it. For thouse who don't understand why this ending makes this story so great, I am sorry for you. The book is about life, not happy everafter
guest chapter 37 . 12/1/2017
This fucking sucks. That was terrible ending. All these years and you leave us with this? You have no idea how deeply disappointed I am with this ending. Its was great up until this chapter. I hope the you set things straight with the next chapter.
Guest chapter 37 . 11/30/2017
A very disappointing end to a one of the greatest stories I've ever read. Such a shame. I need some clarification on your choice to end the story like this or better yet, fix this problem by doing an alternate ending. I know happy endings are cliche but I think Cloud deserves the best after the all the things he's been through.
joseph.e.rios chapter 37 . 11/30/2017
You ever see a really good movie and it's freaking amazing and then the end is bad so it ruins the whole movie? This chapter is like that. This ending ruined the entire story for me. Cloud went through a lot of stuff and overcomes them just to give up because..some sad shit? Really disappointed.
Alcantis chapter 37 . 11/30/2017
OMG. It hurts. I feel betrayed T.T would you add an epilogue or another chapter where they end up together? This was a promising Cloti stuff. I hope it's not too much but I guess after he had sorted out their lives, they would find each other again. They didn't even had the chance to say good-bye -sigh- I literally shed tears with this. Pretty please :3
Guest chapter 37 . 11/29/2017
Can you please do an alternate ending! I was really hoping that the story would have a happy ending. After all these years and after all the things Cloud has been through I believe he deserves a happy ending. I know you said there is no definite closure. But this story need one. And I think every one would be much happier if the story ended the way we all wanted it to. So please, can you do another ending for the sake of the people who have continued to read your story throughout the years and have waited patiently for the story to finally end a wrap up. I loved Cloud and I really want him to finally have a happy life because you have created a character I care about, and that is something not many people can do.

So please, give him the ending he deserves.
NFS Kay Chan chapter 37 . 11/29/2017
I cannot believe it ended like that. I've been reading this story for years now, hoping the best for Cloud. And now for him to just let it all go like that did not give me satisfaction I deserved.

I genuinely though he loved Tifa but from what I read, it seems that he doesn't and that is a big let down. I know a happy ending is a little cliche but I really think Cloud needed it.

Over all, I really loved this story and it is one of the best I've ever read. I loved the comedy, the relationships, the drama, the characterization and the style. I just wished it ended the way we all wanted it to. As of now I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the final chapter.

I am begging you to do a follow up at least to rectify this problem because I am left deeply dissatisfied with the ending of this story and somewhat angered at the decision you've made.
Guest chapter 37 . 11/21/2017
What a shit ending
Nexxus176 chapter 37 . 11/17/2017
The ending honestly was such a let down. Honestly I couldn’t get it out of my head for three days and it drove me crazy. I mean I love the story but that ending...It makes sense based on the title but it comes off as an “I don’t want to keep writing and don’t know what to do so here you go”. I’m not trying to insult you, it sounds like it kinda but it isn’t my intention. Overall it was great...Except for the end
solo player sab chapter 37 . 11/16/2017
Ah! Wow. Sheesh...I was not expecting THAT.

I can't decide if that ending was complete bullshit...or genius. I hate it yet I love it. Goddamn it. My heart aches a little.

In any case, I LOVED the journey you took us on! I remember stumbling upon this story back in 2005/2006...I was still in high school! I revisited for the first time in ~10 years last week and I can't believe I logged on in time to see this story still alive and kickin'! I feel fortunate that I caught the last chapter of this epic :)

I'll admit, as a hardcore "CloTi" fan, I'm a little bit disappointed in how this ended...but it always seems as though that couple is doomed from the start! In a lot of ways, this ended in the only way it really could. Thank you for all the laughs! And all the fun! I do hope to see more from you...perhaps I'll visit Amazon and take a look at that book of yours!
Rumia35 chapter 37 . 11/15/2017
Omg no way! You did not just end it like that. Are you going to have a second story? Damn I can't believe he just ups and leaves but then again, am I really that surprised?

I feel for Tifa though. I think Jessie should have stuck to her words and slammed the door in his face.
CleverAmusing chapter 37 . 11/13/2017
Loved the story but the ending was kind of a cop out ending, like an I-have-no-clue-how-to-finish-but-am-sick-of-working-on-this-so-here-you-go type of ending. It's really disappointing because it's not even as well written as your chapters normally. Just to reinstate, still loved the story as well as your writing style. It's just sad to me because it feels extremely uninspired compared to previous chapters-even somewhat recent ones.
1,258 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »