Reviews for The Vader Chronicles
Your account of the events at Bespin was v powerful n moving, the best account of that confrontation I hav read. I loved Vader sending Luke what he had hoped for Luke's childhood. Thanks for sharing this
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2014
Very refreshing to take an in depth look at this time of Vader's life. Like it!
Window Girl chapter 5 . 9/25/2014
Poor Vader. That's some wonderful irony right there; sacrificing everything to get the power to save Padme when Palpatine didn't have that power in the first place. Good job.
acacia59601 chapter 20 . 5/13/2012
Wow, this story was great! The only problem is that there was A LOT of missing words and punctuation. I can't tell if you didn't put it in or if FFN was deleting things again, but it made it very hard to understand in places. I know the story's complete but if you ever want to go back, have a beta reader go through it and catch at least most of the funny spots. The story itself is wonderful and expect for my previous comment, very well written. Your style flows and your emotions come through clearly. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have available!
twisterblake2010 chapter 1 . 10/17/2010
hey great chapter
tornadoblake2009 chapter 1 . 8/17/2009
hey great chapter
twisterblake chapter 1 . 2/20/2009
great chapter
Renuki chapter 20 . 1/24/2009
YES. Paly is dead! Whooho!

That was a very interesting read! :D

(Ohoho...well, kid, he might be 'dead' but at least he ain't with the Dark Side anymore.)
Renuki chapter 16 . 1/24/2009
Huh, ya know, it's interesting to read of Vader trying to kill the Emperor before.

Oy, good lord, kid. Ya pride is going to be the death of ya...maybe. XD

*cackle at the end* Oy, yeah, he is going to be proud of ya. :D
indie chapter 8 . 11/14/2007
I am absolutely in love with this story. Apologies for posting review that combine multiple chapters.

I adore your scene between Obi-Wan and Owen. You've completely nailed what I've always believed to be the heart of Owen Lars. (And I'm thankful I haven't read enough SW fic to know first hand that some authors choose to paint him as abusive). Owen is a man. A simple man. And I don't mean that in a derisive way. He is loyal and steady. He believes what he can see and feel. He loves Luke. Luke is his son.

Owen's ability to cut through Obi-Wan's BS and plainly point out that it is Obi-Wan, not Vaderkin that poses the current threat to Luke is beautiful. And it really drives home Obi-Wan's central theme that anything is true from a certain point of view. I love that Owen doesn't share Obi-Wan's point of view.

I also adore how the difference in the way Palpatine uses the Force and the way Vader uses the Force is coming into sharp focus. Vader's ruminations on the fact that the Force is simply another tool to Palpatine while to Vader, the Force is absolutely integral to who and what he is is absolutely beautiful.

It definitely sets the stage for what we the status quo will be in the ANH time period. Vader the sorcerer, the lone devotee (as far as everyone knows) to a long dead religion.

And while I don't think we ever really see the philosopher in Anakin during the PT, I love that you make the transition seamless. It feels organic and logical that Vader would in his own way become a Force philosopher, embracing the spirituality of his abilities.

And as always, I love the dialog between Palaptine and his apprentice. They're at times like two old biddies sniping at one another. The one upmanship is constant and you can feel Vader's weariness on that subject - until of course he gets to zing a good one at his Master. "Oh, SNAP, Palps. *You* can't do that with the Force."

Vader's growing bitterness is rendered with staggering beauty. How he can now see how everyone is expendable to his Master, how Palpatine encourages his underlings to believe they and they alone are his confidant. All the while Vader realizing that none of them are his confidants, himself included. Palpatine has no confidants. Palpatine is only ever concerned about Palpatine. Yet, Vader knows he is tied to Palapatine until he can learn enough to overthrow his Master. And yet Vader is learning duplicity and the art of manipulation at his Master's feet.
indie chapter 5 . 11/13/2007
"How do you know I'm not cloaking my feelings, Master ?" Vader said dryly.

"Because you're not very good at it yet. Or more specifically, not very consistent with it. I still pick up leaks of your emotional state."

BWAH! OMG. That is a priceless exchange.

As with everything you write, I am just blown away with how perfectly you render Palpatine's machinations and Vader's fragile emotional state.

Palpatine constantly picking at Vader's emotional scabs and Vader's incredulity, anger and wry appreciation are lovely. It's DarthSuckItUp and DarthEmoKid.

And I love that for as much insight as Palpatine has into Vader's psyche that he still doesn't *get* him. Not that he can't read him and anticipate him, but just that Vader so consistently reacts in a way opposite of how Palpatine would act in the same situation is lovely. Methinks it's because Palps is a psychopath and Vader isn't.

Bravo!
indie chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
I'm very intrigued by this story. Your insight into Vader's character and your interpretation of the interactions that must have shaped his early existence as Vader are incredibly compelling.

I love the unvarnished look at what he must have experienced physically. Those descriptions alone are enough to make you want to curl into a ball and cry. To imagine Anakin having to adjust to that existence gives the reader such a window into Vader's world.

I loved the insight into Palpatine and his need for and interactions with Vader.

"So great was his fear of losing Padme' that he had not forseen even a glimmer of what was to come. For all his prescient visions of the future of others, his own destiny had been completely clouded to him."

That was my favorite section of the entire chapter. I think it sets the stage *so* well. For all of his fear and attempts to alter destiny, the fact that he never could have possibly imagined just how absolutely, horrifically disasterous things would turn out for him. It's like that final bit of naivite got stripped away.

Beautiful start. I look forward to reading the rest of this story.
ILDV chapter 20 . 8/9/2007
Good.
Guilia chapter 20 . 5/17/2007
A wonderful, wonderful look into Vader's life from ROTS to ROTJ! I love the twist you introduce when Vader visits Tatooine. I had never before really considered the possibility that Vader might have known about Luke all along. It's heart-wrenching to see him find Luke, only to realize he's chosen a life that Luke should not be a part of.

Your ending was superb, and you did a great job of wrapping up loose ends that we don't really know anything about from the movies, such as what happened to the Jedi Temple.
Relyan chapter 20 . 4/13/2007
This was a wonderful story! I have never read a story that revealed so much about Darth Vader's character. I had always assumed that upon becoming Vader, Anakin was evil incarnate - that every action was motivated by anger, hate or greed. I never thought to pause and see his actions from a different point of view - Anakin's. This is wonderful. Thank you for putting in the effort and time to write this wonderful piece of work. I will definately be sure to read the sequels! I don't think I will ever view the Original Trilogy in the same way.