Reviews for Some Kind of Crazy
SidheHawk chapter 7 . 7/21/2012
I really enjoyed this. It is actually the first crossover I have read and it has set a very high bar.
Nocez chapter 7 . 7/15/2012
This was some kind of awesome, I'm just a bit disappointed it wasn't longer.
No use holding any hope for a sequel after 6 years, eh?
Thanks for a good read.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 7 . 11/19/2011
The central idea might have seemed simple, but you handled it very well; congratulations are certainly in order.

River’s initial description of Riddick is as chillingly vague-yet-accurate as her statements ever were- only meaningful once you know the context of the situation that she’s referring to-, and while Chen was dealt with rather easily, he was still an interesting additional complication for the group.

River’s reflections on how Riddick is trying to be human without knowing how provided an interesting insight into his personality even without his scenes with Inara- working out a way for those two to relate to each other certainly couldn’t have been easy, but you managed it very well regardless-, and while the conclusion might have been abrupt, it certainly reflected Riddick’s very final solution to problems facing those who he’s ‘promised’ to protect (I acknowledge that saying he ‘promised’ anything isn’t entirely accurate, but I can’t think of a better term to sum up how he’s always kept his word when dealing with people who have agreed to work with him if he works with them).

Any chance the two groups will run into each other again in future?
s-david-m chapter 7 . 11/5/2011
Great story. Just the right amount of tension, violence and mystery.
my shangri-la chapter 7 . 5/3/2011
Awww loved this little story. ) good job.
NaniErin chapter 7 . 3/2/2011
This is the first time I've been truly torn about a story. I think it was more than well written - the dialogue was excellent, everyone was true to character (except for Mal), and the pacing and cut scenes were excellently timed. It did feel like you made Mal more gruff and hot headed than he might normally be, but, on the other hand, I think this is the best rendition of a what post-Pitch Black Riddick would've been like IRL. The torn part was that I was expecting fluff and possible slash ... and there wasn't any. Again - no bad on your end - I love that this is so different from the other Riddick/Firefly stories, it just took me off guard a bit.

Thanks for sharing it.
lovesickdinosaurs chapter 7 . 12/31/2010
This is really great, so well written. All the characters stayed true to who they were, despite crossing over into a different verse. Awesome job!
Califaction chapter 7 . 8/9/2010
I love this story! A Riddick/Firefly crossover is definitely one of the more plausible shared 'verse theories, but keeping everyone in-character is still impressive. Sometimes crossover writers seem to think that the only way a character can get along in a non-canon 'verse is to become a little non-canon himself, and it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't flinch away from the source material. Yes, Mal is Mal-determined to protect his ship/crew, but not the politest guy ever. Inara is beautiful and calculating and Serenity is her weakness, Kaylee is vulnerable to compliments and terrifyingly brave, and River is crazy and psychic and a lot of work for Simon. (I was particularly impressed with the way you wrote Simon and River's relationship, not flinching away from the fact that he is her medical doctor as well as her brother, and is constantly trying to find a 'right' medication for her.) And Riddick is a calculating, homicidal crocodile who is scared of intimacy (Kind of. As much as Riddick ever fears anything.), and pretty much has a right to be. I guess it's good that you so clearly love your characters, since this piece is so character-driven. :)

The scene with Kaylee and Riddick welding is amazing. When he called her beautiful and she was so shocked (and kept being shocked), a tiny piece of something inside me broke a little bit. I also love the contrast between the physical intimacy of the welding space and the emotional distance between them, and the way Riddick immediately goes Boogie-man on her when it seems like things might start thawing a little bit. "Grr! Scary sociopath here!" It's fun how trying to keep her from trusting him is actually more trustworthy than being deceptively friendly and safe-looking. Kaylee's "I'm not afraid of you!" stand despite her clear, well-written terror was so HER, and it is definitely a crowning moment of awesome. Riddick's later reference to it made me smile.

The scenes with Inara and Riddick are made of amazing. Her Companion poise and analyzing mind make it fitting that she becomes the negotiator between him and the crew. You did such a good job communicating not only how wary she is of him, that "trapped with a crocodile" feeling, but also how prepared she is to be in such a situation. From Riddick cleaning blood off her face to her getting him clean clothes and a shower (nice symmetry there, by the way), their scenes together are definitely memorable.

The first chapter hooked me. It could have been a stand-alone fic and I would have been happy-when I remembered it had chapters, I wasn't sure whether to be totally excited or a little bit tired. Sorry-I mean that in a good way! The first chapter was such an adrenaline rush; I got way more involved in the story than I usually do. It was intense, which also means that it was a little exhausting, but in the best kind of way.

What I love most about this fic is the way you make ordinary things seem really, really big, as big a part of the action as the actual action. Riddick cleaning Inara's face, calling Kaylee beautiful, walking away from River, eating dinner with the crew (which was pretty funny at the time but sad in retrospect), showering, getting three hours of sleep-him asking for those three hours of sleep broke another little piece of me, especially when Inara noted what a positive difference it made. I'm not saying that the parts where Riddick kicked evil greedy scumbag they-hurt-Kaylee-and-River ass and rescued Mal weren't really cool. They were. They made me smile, big-time, especially the cool blind knife throw(Mwahahaha! Die, evil scumbags!), Kaylee's wounded rambling, and Mal's reaction to Riddick smiling. But they're important, and they get the same level of focus as the more 'normal' things, for the fact that /this is what Riddick would do if he were part of the crew./ It was always Riddick's plan to leave as soon as possible, but for a moment Riddick was part of Serenity, and it was easy to see him staying. And then he left. And it wasn't a surprise, but it still hurt.

Um, yeah. So, thanks for writing a crossover with a point. Not just a "Woot, these characters are meeting, yay!" crossover, but one that made me think and got the adrenaline going, and one that had an interesting, non-romantic plot with great technical skills and characterizations true to the ones I'd fallen in love with. This fic is one I'll look at and come back to a lot for a positive example of crossovers done right.
Elliesmeow chapter 7 . 4/29/2010
Very interesting. Loved Riddick's interactions with Inara, Kaylee and River. Would love to see more.

Thanks for posting.

-Ellie
Hidden Relevance chapter 7 . 4/21/2010
Man this was fantastic! I'd seriously love to see a sequel even if it was only a 1-shot. You really had Riddick spot on here, as the rest of the crew felt really real to me as well!
Rachet chapter 7 . 3/23/2010
you should post this in the crossover area. liked it alot.
bluebell flames chapter 7 . 2/23/2010
I'm so very happy to have found this story. I finally took up my friends reccomendation that I watch Firefly. I gobbled it up quickly, then the movie. I was sad there wasnt anymore so I turned to fanfiction (I usually read Harry Potter and Janet Evanovich, but Ive tried the odd fanfic from Star Trek to James Bond). After 40 plus stories, yours a crossover of all things is the first Ive read that feels like an episode rather than a fluffy romance focused on only two characters. It doesnt hurt that Im a fan of both Riddick movies and really found his characterization believable. The two verses mesh surprisingly well and its easy to believe theyre two side-by-side star systems. Now Im off to read your other stories. Thanks
A chapter 7 . 1/18/2010
Very well done Riddick/Firefly crossover! I have read a couple by now and usually they end up softening Riddick in order for him to fit with the Firefly-bunch.

You managed to write the story while keeping true to all the characters. Great dialogs (I could hear people say the words), attention to detail and story.

Would love to see more Riddick-fanfiction of you, people have a hard time doing him justice and this is one of the best I've read!
SusanMarieS chapter 7 . 10/23/2009
this was very good. thanks for the story and the effort.
Vashti chapter 7 . 6/20/2009
Great story! Well told. I like the awkwardness of Riddick: that he isn't taken by Inara's wiles, and he's not taken with the promise of Serenity's comfort either. He's still Riddick, he's still enigmatic and cagey and wary. Of course that was frustrating too! But it was also probably truer to the character.

Have you thought of perhaps reclassifying this as a Crossover now that has crossover categories?