Reviews for A Success, of Sorts
gh0sty chapter 1 . 9/11/2019
Hi carpet! I come back to this one all the time. My friends have definitely heard me talk about it - "You know that one fic that's Snape/Hermione if you squint and it's like, a dark comedy about him committing suicide and Hermione constantly stopping him?" - and it's been years since the first time I read it and STILL. Still I am always coming back.

You did some incredibly punchy stuff with the dialogue I'm still not brave enough to try myself. There are a million places where *I* would have descended into overly-descriptive sentimental bullshit, but you manage to just keep paddling through, and hence this piece has some kind of incredible smooth, measured flow to it and a backbone that you can only get out of really, really strong writing. I can feel how thoughtful this is. I can see there's lots and lots of emotion behind the curtain so to speak. I've been reading fic for like almost 15 years at this point LMFAO but gosh, god damn it I love this one. I love, love, love this one. I meant to thank you for writing this all those years ago when I FIRST read it but blah blah blah the second best time is always the present.

Every time I get to Hermione realizing "perhaps it doesn't matter at all" my eyes water harder than I expect. I hope Hermione is right, and I would like for her to be right. Caring belies love, presumably. I presume the Moral Of The Story(TM) is kind of that in the end. Everything comes down to love and how that's where everything starts from so of course some people deny it as a form of self-harm and fear it for all its facets and stuff. I thought a lot about her question to him, too, and what suicide must have meant to her; my best guess was that Hermione still saw the love the world had to offer, and could not understand why someone as practical and seemingly uncaring as Snape would ever prioritize selfishly rejecting the fruits of existence for... possibly nothing? It's not like they actually know what's on the other side. So why do something so foolish? Why is one of the most intelligent wizards in the country making such a fucking stupid decision, persistently?

What I like so much is that suicide is always, no matter what, the end of a cry for help. Snape is not exempt from this. Hermione sees that, too. It hurts to see her constantly trying to source and untangle his line of logic, but when she finally gets to the end - "But perhaps it doesn't. Perhaps it doesn't matter at all." - there's this incredible relief, weight lifted, can breathe easier, and for two incredibly, incredibly pragmatic individuals, the answer becomes realizing that their logic is what entraps them, and shedding that, wholly accepting that they cannot base their lives and feelings on pure, ridiculous conjecture - ABANDONING THE ONE THING THEY RELY ON. OVERTHINKING. Is what will save them both in the end.

I like that so much. I think that's really beautiful. I think if Snape can decide to live, and Hermione of all people can help convince him to do it, and that love is somehow still the answer, there is something so precious and beautiful about that. Nobody will ever replicate that.
Frindy chapter 1 . 12/21/2018
Your explanation of why someone commits suiside... someone’s only way to escape their pain... is different from what I’ve felt and understood about it. I’m not saying your wrong.
For me I truly believed for a time that the world and my loved ones would be better off if I no longer lived.
Of course neither is true. That the world would be better or that it’s the only way to escape pain. I’m glad for another perspective.

And I enjoyed your story, fun twists.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/10/2018
this story helped coping
one gets rather cynical with ongoing attempts of suicide
my sister tried 4 times unsuccessfully an the fear to find her never quite goes
mo chapter 1 . 10/15/2016
this was really good
definitely an interesting take on it- what would happen if you broke an unbreakable vow not to kill yourself?
WhenasInSilks chapter 1 . 9/2/2016
Lovely and complex
Sofia chapter 1 . 9/5/2013
Great story, i love your way of writing. :)
Espied7 chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
The philosophies in this one-shot are wonderful. The idea of the vow stopping him from dying is intriguing, as is the concept on loving and killing. I especially enjoyed the characters, however. Fantastic story.
Light on the Horizon chapter 1 . 10/26/2011
Very interesting story, very well written :-)
AliBelly chapter 1 . 10/1/2011
Although darkly themed, the witty humour makes it quite funny
dizzynetbookgirl chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
I loved this! The pacing, the writing style, the black comedy undertone, the cryptic Snape. Perfect.
Lielac chapter 1 . 5/7/2011
why was i giggling

WHY WAS I GIGGLING...?

(from ffrants, this story is awesome and funny-even-though-it-prolly-shouldn't-be and awesome and awesome and why did i keep giggling at it...?)
Penguin-chama chapter 1 . 5/5/2011
I quite liked this fic, and I especially love the dialogue. It was really well written, and you've managed to make humour in something so serious all the while not making light of the severity of suicide. You've done a really good job with this. :]

Penguin-chama
Aspermoth chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
Hello! I came here from your post on FFRants and I just wanted to tell you that I think this is an amazing story. Yes, it has some dark comedy, but for the most part, I feel it has far more heart and soul and that it doesn't belittle suicide at all. Wonderful work.
TillyMe chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
That was very good:)
originalsecret chapter 1 . 4/12/2009
Hi,

I found this story a few months ago, but forgot to tell you how much I love this story and your style.

I like how it was Hermione who was sort of 'tapped in' to go to Snape whenever he tried to kill himself.

I'd also like to make a point: I do not believe suicide is always a selfish act. Indeed, often it isn't. I've been there, on that brink of committing suicide. I didn't, and I'm glad I didn't now, years later. But unless somebody has been there, I don't think they're earned the right to call suicide cowardly. It isn't always.

And I don't think you made suicide a joke, if you were wondering. I think it's a beautifully written story.

OS