Reviews for Looking for Magic
Jessica chapter 12 . 5/16/2014
No joke, when Snape said this: "You would be surprised what this schoolteacher is capable of, Mr. Potter."
I was like: "In bed".

Now I'm giggling like a maniac. Thrilled with your story so far and excited to read more :)
-Jessica
Guest chapter 22 . 4/29/2014
Voldemort raping his followers to initiate them is grotesque and frankly unlikely given his current state described in your story. I think writers who add rape scenarios to their stories do it for the shock value and novelty which is even more grotesque in my opinion. I don't think it adds any value or "reality" to the situation. There are always a twisted few in groups like the Pettigrews or Bellatrixes who are truly perverse in their controlling of situations which is why I thought the previous rape/sodomy mentions were borderline. Possibly Snape would be allowed to save women (whisking them away from a given situation) given the previous conversation with Voldemort-that actually seemed to be a
something consider for future plotting. I know you are long done with this story, but I think adding rape to ff stories under most circumstances is damaging to our collective psyches, much like the curses of the dark arts.
Jedi Kid chapter 115 . 3/23/2014
I just wanted to drop you a note to tell you how much I enjoy this story. I first discovered it back in 2008 and I must have reread it 3 or 4 times since then. I love how you developed Snape and Hermione's relationship in a believable way. I also enjoy how you worked in science to try to explain magic, you did a facinating and believable job of that. I know personal tragedy caused you to stop writing, but I keep hoping one day to see an update as I'm still dying to know how this ends. I suspect the ending will be equally facinating and unpredictable as the rest of the story.
Anon chapter 11 . 3/18/2014
Wow, I cried reading this. Great job pulling on the emotional heartstrings! Really enjoying your writing. Thanks!
mugglemommy chapter 103 . 3/4/2014
How many times have I read this story? This chapter still makes me cry every single time. I do hope that at some point you'll pick up this story and finish it. It is fabulous from start to finish and I can't wait to see how it all ends up. Wishing you and your muse much happiness.
Travelled chapter 35 . 2/26/2014
I just couldn't not mention this even though this story is long ago written. There is a significant assortment of both fast food chains and coffee shops mcd's and SB are high on that list. I get it probably not in wizarding England but still they aren't monks living on a mountain secluded from everything.
BlueWater5 chapter 114 . 2/24/2014
I first read "Looking for Magic" just over a year ago and decided to re-reread it. It's as wonderful as I remember - intricately written, with well-developed characters with believable viewpoints and developments, and beautifully drawn scenes. I love the contrast between peacetime Chicago and wartime England as well as the snippets of daily life interwoven with preparing for battle. Plus, the introduction of modern technology into the wizarding world was nicely written. I enjoyed too the multiple ways of portraying the action - AWL, paired journals, multiple viewpoints... I really, really hope that you'll finish post the final four chapters.
RallenBlint chapter 42 . 2/9/2014
Dear Hypnobarb,

I almost punched my computer when you switched to first person. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean. I'm just insanely prejudiced against first person, and although I was thoroughly enjoying the story I simply can't read any more. I did try, though! I read another five chapters in the first person, but I genuinely feel that anything you feel needed to be shown through their perspective could have been alluded to or written in third person.

The first forty one of your chapters are wonderful, fantastic, enthralling and flow incredibly well. I only express my disappointment as I'm ridiculously (note I use the word /ridiculously/, here, as in I know it's silly!) annoyed at your switching of the perspective. I apologize that I am unable to finish your story, as I genuinely wish to do so. I just cannot stand the first person aspect of it. It doesn't feel like being sucked into a story and brought along for a journey, it just feels like I'm reading something and it's not grabbing me.

Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable few days of reading, but I'm really quite annoyed that I can't finish! :P
RhodaBush chapter 115 . 10/9/2013
will you continue this story?
Lal Pendragon chapter 8 . 10/6/2013
The title of the story is quite fitting
I truly am looking for the magic .
and that is not a good thing
the story is very muggle
When I m reading a Harry Potter fanfic I expect some of the magic
J.K. is known for it. After all I want to see the magial world not the muggle one.
The Severus you wrote is COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER.
You use the word gracious to describe something he did
the Severus I know would sooner hex someone then let himself be describe that way.
He has one of the acerbic and sarcastic wit I love.
I will try a couple more chapters but only because I don't have anything else to read.
To be fair I did like your writing style very much.
Absolutely love the first chapter.
I have little hope but I wish the story would get better.
even when some of us are fools who don't quite liked.
Guest chapter 115 . 9/15/2013
Been addicted to this story for weeks and I want more.
PhiGirl chapter 50 . 9/7/2013
From a physicists point of view this is a bit hair-raising.
Still: great story and I love your way of writing!
Janie24 chapter 60 . 8/23/2013
Hello, I usually do not leave comments, because I am more than a bit unsure about my poor English :) But I simply had to broke this rule, out of two reasons: 1) I totally love your story, I could not stop reading for last 4 days. I admire your writing style and enjoy every chapter you wrote. You even made me cry a couple of times :(
And 2) you used term Czechoslovakia in that chapter (60) an I feel like if I should inform you, that since 1.1.1993 exists two separaterepublics, Czech and Slovakian. Do not take it as offense, if it was deliberate. As a Czech I just wanted to point out
Biotite chapter 115 . 8/12/2013
This is a crazy long story, and kudos to you for sticking with it for so long. I read what happened (when I panicked about the last posted chapted), and I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you and your family are feeling better.
That doesn't stop me from posting this review in the hopes that it will lead you to the needed motivation to finish it. Pretty please :)
Hope Leslie Hermnharry chapter 1 . 7/31/2013