Reviews for A Place to Stand
pillowdrabbler chapter 1 . 4/16/2014
You are one of my three favorite fanfiction authors (the other two are Zircon, who also wrote fanfic for Buffy and DLM-quite amusing how different people's fandoms intersect sometimes-and missparker), and this is my second favorite piece of Buffy fanfiction (Zircon's "The Ties that Bind" claimed first and missparker's "By Any Other Name" came in third).

Everybody was in character. Buffy and Giles were, needless to say, their wonderful selves. Otherwise, I would have bailed on you at the halfway mark of the first installment. I have to say, though, that the ones I thought you had handled most masterfully given the circumstances you had concocted were Xander and Willow. I still haven't forgotten "Ixnay on the afing-stray"-a line that painted Willow so vividly on the canvas in my head and made me think I was reading one of Joss' manuscripts. As for Xander, how he expressed his disapproval during the beach scene and his subsequent treatment of Clara Davies reminded me so much of how annoyingly and endearingly protective he had been in the show. The wit, the big-picture-seeing, his relationship with Ingrid... I could go on and on and on, I tell you.

I found the narration pleasantly simple. Nothing purple. You have a way of incorporating emotion into your stories without going down the melodramatic route. That's always a plus in my book.

One complaint I have, I suppose, is that the narration in "Siren..." was a tad convenient. I felt the transition was rushed. I'm referring to this line, in particular: "Then his expression changed. Became less filled with anger, more one of... desire?"

Overall, the plot was engaging; the pacing was brilliant. You didn't cut corners and avoided needless slow-motion clips, so to speak. I found your choice to have this many characters take on significant roles admirable. Your incorporation of Lorne and Illyria was most welcome and introduced additional dimensions to the series. The major role Angel played despite (because of) his absence made the entire 'verse all that much richer. I have to commend you for that scene with Lorenzo and Marcella as well. It was pretty complex and spoke volumes about how much Buffy had matured and the... empathy, perhaps, that the other slayers had yet to acquire.

You know what? This story made me crave for a big bad. In this 'verse, of course. Now that Buffy and Giles' relationship has been established, maybe an apocalypse is due. I have a feeling you're not interested in writing follow-ups to this one, however. But if ever you get hit by plot bunnies of the continuation-of-this-series breed, I hope you introduce us to a baddie we won't forget. I've always thought that having more slayers equaled fortified forces of evil. Something about balance and how in love systems are with self-perpetuation. The philosophical implications of slaying... The Buffyverse continues to hold so much promise it's intoxicating.

Thank you so much for sharing this (and your other wonderful pieces) with us. You are a blessing.

All the best,
pillowdrabbler
sergeik chapter 1 . 5/21/2011
I know its been sometime since you wrote this but after hearing about Illyria being in the new comic with Faith I had to come back to this and read it again. I love the Faith Illyria parts, you write them so well and I love how Illyria is exposing Faith to an entire new vocabulary. I can totally see Illyria reacting well with someone like Faith who knows what its like to have to change and evolve and reassess and do something to live in the world around you.
whatweareafreaidof chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
first i like to tell you i like your story, i am not afan of giles and buffy but this is a good story... so i like it... the only think i fell bad about is xander... and the way buffy treated him buffy nows xander has feeling for her and he thinks that she is single but find out she is dating the person he think is like a father.. finding out the worst think at the worst time and worst way must suck.. but i under stand that... what i did not understand is a mouth goes by and she does not even try to talk to him, moves in with giles and does not tell him... that would her me even more... the worst was when xander try talkng to her to see if she and him are still friends she tell him "if it hurts you should leave" that made me soo mad she loves then tell him to leave yes it hurt but it would hurt a thousand time more meing away form my fiends... i wish he would have told her i not abaonding you you told me to leave this is a good story but you made xander to only be hurt becouse she did not love ihm not at all becouse the way she treat him i would want a friend to be there even if she would not love me... willow told him "if hurt so much go and giles told him do what you have to do. thinks giles for values my work so much you dont care what i do... very good story i would have like a sence wher buffy and xander becojme friends again. just seem know was there to help him. buffy was a bad frined but htis is only my opion this is a good story
Marion the Geek chapter 1 . 9/23/2006
I hope you'll write a sequel to this. You have continued the Buffyverse elegantly and the only thing I find myself wishing for as far as your work is more of it.
banduraqueen chapter 1 . 4/30/2006
I'm really enjoying how you write the Buffy/Giles relationship. I usually hate it when fic writers make Buffy all domestic, but I really like how you write Buffy and Giles considering the idea of having a kid.

How you write Illyria is really great too.

I hope you continue this series. I'd like to see what happens next.
Otahyoni chapter 1 . 1/11/2006
This is a nice series you've got going here. And it sounds like we'll be getting more! Hurrah!

Was thrilled to see Lorne and Illyria and Faith and Robin. Like greeting old friends. And Illyria's "I would like a story with entrails" (or something to that effect) cracked me up. Perfect.
screaminheathen69 chapter 1 . 1/5/2006
Okay, I'm loving this series. Having said that, I really oughta take the time to go back and read the first one... But that'd be all logical... and stuff...

More, please!