Reviews for Congenial Defects
GWBear chapter 1 . 8/20/2013
Well written and funny too. I never did like the aunt- ever...
Lady Heliotrope chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
That was funny! Thank you.
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 12/13/2011
Oh wow – humorous Holmes and Russell, and in character, no less.

You had me grinning at the screen for most of the time it took to read this. I had a clear visual image of the situation from the very beginning, and watching the play off between Russell’s deliberate overdramatics and Holmes’ reactions (and non-reactions) had me snorting from time to time.

The skill of the raconteur doesn’t easily translate to pure text, and I’ve rarely read a scene that works so well where the action exists entirely in the story told by one character to another.

Hmm, there were some bits and pieces that stuck in my mind, that I’m too lazy to do more than point at:

/“he turned the page of his newspaper with an exaggerated rattle, in much the same hope as a medieval priest might have rung a bell to drive evil spirits from the room.”/

*grins*

/“In some part of his mind, Holmes realized, he had been waiting for Russell to say the words 'my aunt' and 'self-defense' in the same sentence for as long as he had known her.”/

Oh dear, yes :-)

Not to mention the very weird question I now have of what on earth Holmes and Jeeves might have made of each other…

I hope you had as much fun writing this as I did in reading it.
tselea chapter 1 . 11/16/2010
I'll probably have to read it twice more to fully understand Mary's still slightly tipsy rambling but I love it anyways! And Holmes! A gem!
Unseen Watcher chapter 1 . 1/23/2010
Quite well done. Amusing, in character, and a very good story. It was nice to see Holmes in good spirits. Very good.
thewraven chapter 1 . 3/6/2009
It's good that it was meant to be funny, 'cause it was!
Obi's Second Cousin chapter 1 . 6/14/2008
Wow... that was fun!
MarbleGlove chapter 1 . 4/25/2008
I laugh! This is hilarious.
xKuroHinotex chapter 1 . 3/12/2008
HAHAHA -very- clever! GREAT job!

It was extremely funny! I was smiling the whole way through! xD

Ever consider trying to publish something? Your talent is...whoa. I loved this story, and hope to read more from you! ]
XxBookScarxX chapter 1 . 8/7/2007
Congratulations, you kept the tone of the books well in this story. This was hilarious and I very much enjoyed reading it.
Arachnomadness chapter 1 . 4/5/2007
Beyond amusing! Your language is great, very in character. You might look at Holmes' dialogue, though. He begins several two sentences practically right after eachother with "I hope." But I'm nitpicking. It is great!

Keep up the writing! Regards.
Pieredae's Muse chapter 1 . 11/5/2006
You had me in stitches halfway through! Bravo! You write very well- the Mary Russel mysteries are among my favorite books and I thought you captured the essence and voice of King extremely. One complaint- what were the i/i things? They slightly distracted me from the flow of the writing. Please write more like this! I look forward to reading more. -Req
pucktofaerie chapter 1 . 4/22/2006
hehehe...I love it! This is wonderful. Keep up the great work!
Third girl chapter 1 . 4/21/2006
This just made me sputter and chortle my whole way through. You've got that wry sense of humour down pat and I can almost hear the sort of deadpan voice I often think of when I read the actual books. Poor Russ! I'm sure things will look rosier in the morning!
Drop Your Oboe chapter 1 . 4/11/2006
Well, that is funny. "Is" with italics. Monsieur Sauveterre-it was him, was it not?-has an interesting sense of humor.