Reviews for Mercenary
LunaBianca chapter 1 . 1/24/2016
I like the pragmatic, rueful voice of Jayne, with his vernacular and his "girls." Thanks.
Saratai chapter 1 . 5/11/2013
I really like your writing. You've really gotten the voices down perfectly. I never thought about Jayne's thoughts in this moment, but this rings so very true. Although, I think he might go more practically for the ones like Zoe who could defend themselves first.
Vampire Queen chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
ooh, nice
Whyt Wulf chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
Never thought of this side of Jayne. A nasty mercy is it, but mercy indeed. Talk about the darker side!
Anora-the-Dreamer chapter 1 . 7/3/2009
Wow. Now that is really excellent, really interesting. Good job.
Kamp chapter 1 . 2/15/2008
i like it. and i like the last line too.
Fair-Ithil chapter 1 . 5/26/2006
This has all the blunt logic and loyality one expects from Jayne. It was perfect.
Lirazel chapter 1 . 5/12/2006
Wow. Very powerful. Again, I'm struck by the realism of your work. This is so very Jayne, and his rough sort of loyalty to the crew (no matter that he convinces himself otherwise). His determination is sort of horrifying, but I can understand how he would think of this as mercy. Great piece.
Culf chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
That's a pretty hard decision to make, but I think Jayne is strong enoguht to make it. Powerful story, I'd like to see Jayne's reaction to River having taken all the Reavers out.
KBecks87 chapter 1 . 1/21/2006
that was real shiny
angie chapter 1 . 1/17/2006
Wonderful little piece. Jayne may be a big lug, but he does have some moments, and I think you captured them very nicely. No improvements needed that I can see.
Heather chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
I loved it. :)
Vampbarbie chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
Brilliant!
Ana Sedai chapter 1 . 1/9/2006
Wow. "All sorts of creepifyin'", indeed.

There's a grim humor to this, and Jayne's voice is perfect. The man has things rattling around in that head of his that would make a sailor blush, but he's very good at his job, and that takes an instinctive ability to size up any situation with complete and total dispassion. He is far from stupid, and I love the way you write what he could have been thinking when the chips were down.

"Hell, Jayne’ll even shoot Mal, something he’s thought of doing once or twice under different circumstances, if the old bastard makes it back in time." I had to laugh out loud at that one. The thought of Jayne grudgingly doing Mal a favor by shooting him in the head is just too rich.

I even got choked up by Jayne referring to the guns as "his girls". Yep, I'm a sap. Sue me.
fieldofyellowdandelions chapter 1 . 1/9/2006
Great idea. I never considered this before but it's entirely possible that Jayne could've been thinking this. I loved his order and his reasoning.

I have only one problem and that's how you portrayed Simon. For what I say in the movie, Simon wasn't really sobbing over River. He was crying but when Mal walked in, he was sort of lying motionless.

Other than that, I found the peice angsty and touching and it will be going up on my favorite stories list.

Favorite Line: He’s the mercenary, the hired gun, and while he ain’t no saint, bent scope or not, he does know a thing or two about mercy.