Reviews for The Day Before
Jazmin3 Firewing chapter 1 . 3/21/2006
Aww! Poor Gimli! Poor Legolas! I read "The Day After" before this and find it really sad that both stories end with the central character hiding tears for the sake of the other. Very nicely written, as always.
CartDi chapter 1 . 3/13/2006
beautiful as always. thanks for that!
ErinRua chapter 1 . 3/7/2006
Almost four years ago you broke my heart with "Beyond This World". Dear lady, you have not lost your touch. Beautifully told.

Cheers ~

Erin
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 2/3/2006
Great story! Keep up the good work & please don't stop your unfinished stories! You cannot leave us hanging!
Sylvia1 chapter 1 . 1/29/2006
Wow, Thundera - another beautiful image of the consequences that Legolas and Gimli have with their friendship. I really think it's amusing how Legolas will sit and think himself into a knot, turning thoughts and impressions over and over in his mind until he suspects the worst. So like him to see Gimli as being out of touch with time, when he himself has only recently grasped the concept of mortality. I must say that I kind of wanted Gimli to carry on the conversation at the end, to coax the information out of the elf and chide him for his intricate web of worries.

Legolas seems as though he's only now realising how short of a time he and Gimli will have together relative to an elf's lifespan. This is again very amusing since he's here pondering their fates while he could be spending more time with his friend. I don't believe I've read "The Day After" but I want to now. Well since my batter's dying on my laptop, let me tell you that this was a beautiful piece! I always try to hop over whenever I see that you've posted something new! Please keep updating. :-)

Thanks,

Sylvia
Aranna Undomiel chapter 1 . 1/26/2006
I really like the comparison between time and the currents of the river, really makes sense.

Great story once again.
Ithilien chapter 1 . 1/25/2006
A story! A story!

It's not an update to your long list of others that I have been waiting for FOREVER, but I'll take it. Ah, but I understand...RL, that gruesome character that interferes with plot developments. Give us more when you can. In the meantime, there is this and I am both delighted and moved.

While you were inspired by a plot bunny tossed your way, this short fic too has inspired one in me. It is not the same story, of course, though the theme, death as seen from the eyes of an immortal, follows form. I'm hoping to have it complete in the next week or so. Know you were the impetus to get me going.

But now I have to go back and re-read "The Day After," because I can't remember what it contained to inspire these thoughts from Legolas. Gimli is indeed acting odd for a dwarf, and I think I would be troubled if he should stop considering time a factor too. Then again, being mortal, how many times have I put off simply because I believe I have more time available? Legolas has the benefit of the long view, whereas Gimli is short-sighted (ironic, eh?). That is nature. Or perhaps it is as Legolas thinks, that Gimli is forgetting his time and its limits. For us, a mortal life-span seems a good measure given to accomplish everything. But there is always something missed. That's just how it is. I'm not sure who here the lesson applies to. Both characters, I guess. The all-knowing audience sees it all. Yet Legolas mourns his friend's death. He needs to do as Gimli does and embrace the day.

has nixed my identity as Anarien. "Dark Forest" has been yanked from this archive. They gave me no warning or explanation - simply wiped everything (reviews, lists, etc.) off the map. As such, I have to begin anew and I'll be re-introducing DF as an Ithilien story. Just letting you know as there is no way for me to announce otherwise what occurred and how my story will live on. Thanks for being a reader to my fic and following me faithfully. Your support has meant a lot to me!
Fey Halfkin chapter 1 . 1/16/2006
Touching view of how friendship has changed Gimli. I loved how Legolas presents the price of mortals and immortals in views of Time. Very moving.
memyselfandi chapter 1 . 1/15/2006
I think he should just learn to chill a bit.
JastaElf chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
Oh. Ohh... OH! Oh, this is wonderful... thank you SO much for this wonderful story! And thank you for the words at the bottom under Acknowledgements... I am honoured!

God... just wonderful on so many levels. Superb characterization as always, and such a wonderful talent for putting words together in ways that sing... The whole notion of Legolas being hauled into the time-stream, as it were, is just brilliant. And you handle it with an exquisite simplicity and subtlety, something I've noticed you are VERY good at... :-)

This flip-side has the same weight, but a totally different feel, from its companion piece. It truly is as if you've gotten separately but equally into the heads of each character, and spoken with their "voice". Just lovely...

One would hope it was simply that Legolas is an Elf, with such a very different viewpoint and a touch of melancholy as seems to run through the Eldar; plus he's been over-wrought, stuck with the sea-longing, and we know he'll be wounded nastily on the morrow. But it's clear he's been thinking this way for some time, and the situation has crystalized it all. Ouch. But how typical of him to see Gimli's changed perception, and mourn for it so...

He'll be so relieved that Gimli gets to go with him. *g*

So... do you ascribe to the concept that the non-Elves arriving in Valinor eventually do die, after much lengthening of their lives? Or... not? Hm... :-)

*watches plot-bunnies bounce around TT's feet...*

Anyway, thanks SO much. This is positively delicious, in a sad, sorrowful kind of way...
mou chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
I love how much they care for each other. It's rather ironic that they fear for each other and in the process of hoping to change each other perspective of time they only further add to each other's fear. :-)
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
Oh no, another sad one!
Beth chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
Every story you tell pulls me in and I can not escape. Well done for amazing me again.
chasinggrace chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
Love it! Absolutely love it! Certainly bittersweet. I thought it was interesting that Legolas didn't know about his own change in relation to time. Or didn't admit it.

Emily Grace
elven dreamer chapter 1 . 1/10/2006
I might have generally left the LotR fandom, but your writing always brings me back. Wonderful work, and enough to make me reread some of your other work that I haven't read for almost a year. Thankyou.
34 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »