Reviews for Strangers and Angels
Alex Castello chapter 8 . 5/2/2016
That was worth every single second, thank you. Seriously I don't normally go for the fanfictions where Sam and Dean aren't hunting, but that was an amazing piece of work.
Alex Castello chapter 2 . 5/1/2016
I read one of the ones you wrote that took place after this, but I read before this. It was awhile ago, and I thought that the setting and characters were familiar, then Luke walked in. I almost wish someone had been there to snap a shot of my face when I remembered. ( I think the one I read before crossed over with Criminal Minds) Either way I remember that it was good. I look forward to not only reading the rest of this one, but hunting down any other branches to this particular story line that I hadn't found yet!
PFWP chapter 5 . 4/1/2016
Well written, but I just kept waiting for there to be a point.
Fatima chapter 8 . 3/21/2016
This is really beautiful. Nice domestic viewpoint for Sam and Dean, whilst struggling with their problems of hunting life. It was nice to see the boys' walls down and Jo as a mother figure. Really well done.
CornishGirl chapter 1 . 1/28/2016
Supernatural Monthly Fan Fiction Awards:

This story of course has become a classic, and set the scene for many followup stories. The opening is beautifully understated as a summing up of Dean's vision of Sam and himself. Excellent narrative voice. The OCs, particularly the kids, are spot-on, though a little over-emphasized; most readers prefer to read about the brothers. But this is a small complaint, because the writing is solid enough to keep one reading.

From a formatting standpoint, it's important to keep attributions on the same line as the actual dialogue, whether it's leading into the line, or a "he said" afterward. Example:

Dean grinned at Sam.

"I didn't say I didn't do them."

This should have been on a single line, to make sure readers knew it was Dean's dialogue.

This is a solid, engaging, straightforward tale of an accidental meeting with a family that became all-important to Sam and Dean, with the "feels" of old-school SPN. It wasn't a callback at the time of writing, but is now. It holds up.
Catasauqua chapter 8 . 1/18/2016
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review: Novel/Drama January 2016

This is just what the brothers needed. A chance to make a connection with people outside of the Hunting world. Ones who are not victims or contacts or barflies to hustle money from. Just good people like Jo who showed them kindness for no other reason than their need for it.

I didn't miss for one moment the lack of a villain or antagonist, in fact, it was a refreshing change of pace. Your OC's were outstanding - from Jo (with her instinctive understanding) to the kids, each with a distinctive personality. This was truly a Charming Story.

This story was well formatted, grammatically clean and had a nice plot resolution

Cat
BlackIceWitch chapter 8 . 1/10/2016
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards : January 2016

The one thing that a large percentage of fans of the show (who’ve watched and re-watched the seasons from beginning to end) long for is a chance and the right environment – even the right push – for the brothers to stop moving, take stock of what’s happened, deal and be able to understand each other. It’s something that really never happens past the second season and it is a psychological necessity to maintaining clarity and sanity in the hunter’s world.

In this gentle and quiet tale, all those things happen naturally, drawn from the characters themselves and from a clear understanding of how that could work. The relationship between Dean and Sam, siblings with all the baggage that comes along with, and their upbringing which exacerbated that baggage and made it a much more obstacle-filled course to negotiate, has always needed someone else for each man to talk to; not in the depth they might, one day, learn to speak to each other with where every event, every moment of guilt is known, but generally and specifically about the way those events have conspired to keep them more hidden from each other, each afraid to let the other know how they’ve been changed and sometimes, crushed.

Sam’s recognition here, of having kept hold of old habits, and his maturing with his attempts to review them as an adult and move beyond them, is a rush of relief. Many of the things that happened to them were more a result of those years-long habits, fallen back into and unlooked at, clung to sometimes for their very familiarity in spite of each knowing that the other had changed, in the years they were apart and in the pursuit of their father, and the growing awareness and doubts of what was gathering around them.

Each simple interaction with someone else, most often Jo, but also the boys, laid another foundation stone in being able to acknowledge, being able to recognise even those differences, and giving down time sufficient to process them in a way that, had they gotten this time in the show, might’ve accelerated their maturing into grown men a long time before the show allowed them to at the end of Season 5.

The flow of events is very smooth and very plausible. It offers a glimpse of characterisation that is realistically mutable and capable of change, and solid, justifiable reasons for those changes. Too often writers are hide-bound in their attempts to maintain a recognisable characterisation that, in the first five seasons was not fixed and didactic, but grew and developed. Nothing remains fixed, everything changes and it’s refreshing and inspiring to see that used so very effectively.

Dialogue and description are natural and clear, no words are wasted in the introduction of characters who have no impact and no scene is there without a rock-solid reason. The characters learn. They change. They develop and their relationships with outside characters do the same, revealing a safe haven that can be there in a way even the roadhouse or Bobby’s couldn’t. This is just a fascinating and completely enjoyable might-have-been (should-have-been); a place to rest and a place to return to, when confusion, doubt and weariness strike them again.
theflashisgone chapter 8 . 1/10/2016
I don't normally care for stories that rely so heavily on OCs, but yours are so spectacularly done that the Winchesters' interactions with this family feel totally natural, even though they're unusual types of interactions for Sam and Dean.
Guest chapter 4 . 12/14/2015
I feel that micheal and luke are supossed to be sam and dean. Jo is like Bobby. the ironic part is that sam and dean are the vessels of micheal and lucifer and luke sounds like a shortened version of lucifer
calliopechild chapter 8 . 12/10/2015
I made a really sad noise I can't describe when this finished. I feel like it should have been a normal ending, just like the guys riding out of town at the end of another episode, but they're leaving behind a lot of things they should get to enjoy all the time. This was so nice for the guys, having a break, having some people who cared enough not to be pushed away but also not to push harder than Sam and Dean could stand. Jo is a freaking gift, and I wish they could have stayed too. (OF COURSE John had to call and ruin things-when a stranger is doing a better job at being a good parent to his kids than him, btw. *grumbles*) Anyway, lovely job on this. *thumbs up*
tattereddove chapter 8 . 10/9/2015
Well I'm crying. So congrats on an utterly heartbreaking tale.
Kirsten chapter 8 . 9/15/2015
Hi! Just to tell you this is now the 3rd... 4th? time I'm reading this, and I STILL love it as much as I did the first time I had the fortune to stumble upon it! I LOVE Dean and Sam's relationship with the Sweeds... They really deserve someone like Jo. ;) So thank you again!
LDK chapter 8 . 6/27/2015
Excellent story, the way you wrote Sam and Dean was brilliant! I really fell in love with your characters, especially the way they interacted with the brothers. I wonder hoe Jo and the family would react when they hear Sam and Dean become wanted criminals country-wide? Also did Dean and Sam ever pay back Jo for the doctor? Does Jo find out when Dean dies? When Sam dies? I really would love it if they met again, after everything that happens to the brothers. The ending to this fic was really abrupt... But I think that was the point. I really did fall in love with this story, both the plot and the characters really shone in their depth and interest. Thank you so much for writing this, I loved reading it!
Guest chapter 8 . 4/26/2015
I feel like there should be an epilogue-one where Dean and Sam go on a hunt near Jo's place, or Jo has a haunting and the Winchesters are called in, etc. This is a beautiful story, and I want there to be more.
Guest chapter 4 . 4/26/2015
I think you're having difficulty with Jo's status. It's either that you're switching between calling her the kids' aunt and the kids' mother, or I'm misreading your story, in which you might want to make it more clear.
539 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »