Reviews for Domestic Duties
Shimizu Hitomi chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
Mm! I really liked this, and am sad to think that I would never have discovered it if it hadn't been nominated over at the forums. It reads very smoothly, and I absolutely love the quiet, understated tone.
Kitten Kisses chapter 1 . 1/6/2008
Damn. I mean, wow. I clicked on your name (I mean, how could I not click on your name, when you were kind enough to read and review Definition of a Family?) and lo and behold, I find this...masterpiece sitting here, almost two full years old. And it was on the Circle, too. I didn't even know that!

Anyway...

I like about a hundred things about this, but I'll narrow it down.

First, I like that you have Eliwood and the Tactician, but you never give the tactician's name, and there really isn't any big bad interaction between them. (This could almost be listed under "Friendship", though.)

Secondly, I like that the tactician is a girl. Some people think it's oh-so non-canon to have a female tactician, but the default name is just that- something short and simple. It's not really canon, either, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying I never wrote the tactician's name as being Mark... I'm simply saying that I like to see things that are different, and yet the same. The fact that you have a female tactician isn't exactly different...but the fact that you gave us just a tiny glimpse of her past isn't really different, either. But the fact that her past is normal, and a little disappointing, is something completely new and fresh.

Thirdly, she likes washing dishes. I like wishes dishes, too. I'd rather wash dishes than build cars. Yep.

Fourth, I can't help but like the fact that she doesn't like tactical work. She finds it dull/boring/crappy... she's no good with weaponry, even though she wishes she was, and she likes simple things. How easy is it to like a tactician like this? Very. She's not funny, she's not god-like...but she's real, she's human. And I respect that totally.

So yeah, thanks for a wonderful read, here. I must say that I was very impressed with this. Usually I don't read tactician 'fics, but I was blown away by this one.

Keep up the wonderful work!

Cheers,

-Manna
sagewolf chapter 1 . 8/11/2007
This is really good. It's nice to see the tactician as an actual person (not a cardboard cutout who appears during battles, barks out orders, and disappears) or an overbearing, overpowered battle-god who doesn't need an army around them. Even better, a tactician who regrets her choices. Thank you for the story; I was sick enough of GaryStu tacticians to start breaking my laptop. ...I'm not pressuring or anything, but if you want, could you read my fic, My Peerless Warrior? It's kind of on the same ring as this, and I'd like to know what you think.
Big Sister Kitty chapter 1 . 3/21/2007
That was an interesting take on the Tactician. It’s quite unlike that of anything I’ve ever seen here. And you’ve written it in such a short, simple, no-nonsense manner that’s not too choked up with details, and yet somehow, it says it all. This is a very charming tale.
hungryh1ppo chapter 1 . 9/21/2006
You make the character so human. I've never seen this take on the character, and it really just was packed with meaning that hangs with you long after you finish the story.

Bitter sweet as said.
Subieko chapter 1 . 8/8/2006
*laughs* I love the idea of a tactician who hates strategizing and loves washing dishes! Oh, the irony...
thearendork chapter 1 . 4/19/2006
You know, I'll have to agree with narugurlee13-seldom do you see any fics that treat the tactician as a regular person, someone who actually has a personality, with quirks and hopes and dreams...you get what I mean? You're a good writer to be able to bring out her humanity-she's not just some walking brain who's able to come up with battle plans at the drop of a hat. The only thing that bugged me a bit was the rather abrupt ending, but overall, everything's well-done.
ffnaru chapter 1 . 2/24/2006
Mmkay. I read this story once, but didn't review. Now that it's in the Circle I have another reason to come back and review this.

Well, besides that fact that I thought it was good (because I think that was established that in the FEWG forum), I really liked the feel of this story. Seldom do you find tactician stories that treat him/her as just another person.

...

Hang on; let me reword that. There has NEVER been a story that treats the tactician as "just another person" until now. (Or, if there has been, I haven't seen it.)

And that's what makes this so awesome. (I don't care that it is somewhat canonically wrong. Even though I'm usually a stickler for that kind of thing. XD) A take on the tactician that makes her a normal person sits well with me any day, considering all of the godly/kickass/genius tactician stories that are floating around in this section. I applaud you. :3

See ya!

Naru
R Amythest chapter 1 . 2/20/2006
Actually, there is a minor canon fallacy here - in the very beginning of the game, when Lyn introduces herself, I'm pretty sure that she's all "Oh? You don't remember where you came from?" or something along those lines.

But it is a very interesting take on the tactician, having her like washing dishes and hate tactician-izing.
Pureauthor chapter 1 . 2/19/2006
Oh, very nice indeed. It's an interesting take on the tactician's role, and really, any fic in which the female tacticians are not courted by the leads is a definite plus point.

It seems a little bittersweet, of course, that the tactician is now stuck doing a job she hates, solely because it's her responsibility. I dunno whether this was what you were aiming for, but it's actually a pretty good picture of life.

No glaring grammatical errors, and I'm not the sort to go hunt them down, so... good job.
Writer Awakened chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
This was a surprisingly simple story with a very interesting message: the powers of the mundane. Not only is this a female tactician washing dishes, but it's a female tactician who doesn't like tacticianizing (okay, that's not a word. XD. 'Strategizing'? There we go!) AND likes washing dishes. And the whole time our friend Eliwood feels sorry for her. A commentary on the whole strangeness and neccessity of life's duties AND on an outsider's view on such mundane tasks. Very interesting. I don't really know how to critique this, so I'll just say there's a pretty interesting message under the simple exterior.

One thing, though: wasn't the tactician found unconscious on the plains of Sacae by Lyn with no memory of his/her past? Eh, oh well. It doesn't matter much :P

Anyway, good job!
Lemurian-Girl chapter 1 . 2/16/2006
It's interesting and a much more realisitic view of the tactician. Grammatically, only one thing bugged me.

"She dunked the plate she had been washing into the water and Eliwood saw it sparkle for a second before she dried it off quickly and placed it on the rack." Since the second part is an independant clause, there should be a comma before the and.

Other than that, it was pretty good. A very sweet story.

Lemurian-Girl
Brumhilde chapter 1 . 2/12/2006
Wow. It somewhat struck me as something that could actually be true. Oo

Hehe... I guess next time I'll play the game the only thing I'll think when choosing the tactician name will be 'Bern maid'... ''

It was kinda random, but well writen. Yay for random well writen fics!
Arc Trader chapter 1 . 1/13/2006
I believe I have said all I've needed to say, but there's just a... "different"... feel when you actually read it here.

A story that treats the tactician as "just another human" is practically nonexistent. No, the tactician must be "kick ass," "perfectly brilliant," "a pervert," or to sum it up, "flawless."

The most brilliant military officers, strategists included, are people too. Let's not forget that.
TheWhiteMonk chapter 1 . 1/12/2006
An interesting view on the Tactician. A very nice one shot.